Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day time assault in cork city centre

Options
  • 25-03-2014 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭

Serious assault on winthrop street over the weekend I read in the Examiner

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/two-held-after-serious-assault-in-cork-city-centre-625770.html

Think we can all agree there is an increasing amount of gangs of youths around the city centre. Winthrop St and Daunt Square are the worst spots.

The lack of daytime garda patrol in the city is disgraceful, I live and work in the centre and its rare you see any. These types of assaults are not uncommon I have seen minor ones myself.

I was walking in town Sunday through grand parade, there was a gang of atleast 20 kids, one of them had a child in a buggy, she was screaming that she would beat the **** out of the child. As you do I glanced and I was caught looking, your one ran up to me and screamed that she would break my face if I looked at her again. Then 4 young fellas about 16 went after me threatening to kick my head in, they shoved me a few times but I know better Im well out numbered and I just walked on.
    While I wasnt particularly intimidated by them others will be, and on another day the gang of them could of kicked me around the place.

Gardai really need to crackdown before school is out and it gets worse.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Why on earth should the gardai "crack down" on kids? Where are their parents?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭rob316

catallus wrote: »

Not been parents but thats for another day. In the more immediate a greater garda presence would make the place safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,221 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You see this is where Gardai should have the power to take these little rags and give them a few slaps and make sure they dont do it again.

Its bad enough at 4am, but 4pm on a busy day.

Dont really see anything major myself, bar few junkies here and there, but im sure there around.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Where ever they are, they are obviously not too concerned about what their kids are up to...

If these teenagers are committing public order offences then it is the Guards job to deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Where ever they are, they are obviously not too concerned about what their kids are up to...

If these teenagers are committing public order offences then it is the Guards job to deal with it.

The poster before you put forward the idea that the gardai should be able to give them a few slaps to sort them out and while I agree with her I think the current climate of whistleblowing and general discontent with garda behaviour would lead such a policy to be met with the usual hypocritical criticism.

Bar slapping some sense into these feral kids, the gardai are left in the literally farcical situation of taking them before the courts (after a drawn out process of juvenile box-ticking) which will grant bail after bail after bail until the kid actually really hurts someone.

And we can't forget that the person who shouted and threatened the OP and the hangers on who followed him down the road are our legal equals; they can do as they please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

they don't give a rats arse what their children are doing as long as they are getting their 5 minutes of "peace and quiet" or coffee with the neighbours,

they like to pass it off as "good parenting", because "in our day we'd go out at 9am and not come home till dinner" and of course the usual "my mary/my Brendan wouldn't do a thing like that because (s)he knows i'd kill her/him" when the truth is their children/teenagers are hanging out on the streets of Cork doing things like the above,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

There was a big group of 16 year olds playing soccer at the junction of Winthrop St/Patrick St last Sunday evening.WTF.Where the fcuk were the Gardai,especially with the random attack on Saturday.

20 years ago,you would always see a guard walking the streets of every town and village in the country.It now seems a thing of the past.

Surely there should be a law against loitering in big gangs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

hoodwinked wrote: »
    they don't give a rats arse what their children are doing as long as they are getting their 5 minutes of "peace and quiet" or coffee cans of Dutch Gold with the neighbours,
    they like to pass it off as "good parenting", because "in our day we'd go out at 9am and not come home till dinner" and of course the usual "my mary/my Brendan wouldn't do a thing like that because (s)he knows i'd kill her/him" when the truth is their children/teenagers are hanging out on the streets of Cork doing things like the above,

Almost right, fixed that there for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

If ye are looking for more Guards on the beat, forget it.
    They are under resourced.
    Any extra money has gone to pay unsecured bondholders paid for by the vichy government.

Get out and protest/vote for someone who will assist in sorting out this by putting resources where they are needed and not to be paying off gambling debts which we as people did not incur.

We dont need more laws, we just need enforcement of the existing ones where necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Round up all of the violent offenders and stick them on Spike Island to work out their frustrations. Essentials such as food and crude weapons could be dropped periodically. With cameras set up around the island a tv show could be made of it. Any profits gained could then be used to compensate their victims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Not a parent myself but know a few a defo think tis more to do with parenting and telling kids the rights and wrongs.Think we should be much stricter here aswell. They will probably get a slap on the wrist for this, they should be put in prison for like 4 months or something and pay for damages, next time 6 moths, and so on. Not home away from homes aswell a shell and a bed that's what you should get

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Parents aren't going to crack down on them, someone has to. The city has to be safe for the rest of its non scumbag citizens to enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Without painting everyone with the same brush, most are their parents are probably in the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

As a parent I know where my kids are always and I think it is a very bad sign of the state of the city
    The OP should have rang Anglesea Street Garda Station, they would have sent a car and probably have the incident on CCTV, however if it is not brought to their attention they might not have seen it or do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭brevity

Was walking through the city on Sunday and definitely felt an air of aggression about the place and I even said it to my girlfriend. We actually walked through Winthrop Street and I noticed that McDonalds now have two bouncers on the doors. There were a bunch of lads trying to push their way in...this was at around 3 or 4 in the afternoon.

Seems a bit worrying that this is starting to happen and a Garda presence should be visible on weekends.

I'll have to start taking up some self defence classes :pac:

Jes sounds like it is getting rather scary in there. Havent gone in, there for a long time over a year as I thought it was getting rough then. A shame to see what could be a very decant city going to the pots because of the kids. Not too sure again about the guards they might make a difference but then in fairness they cant do much but arrest them and let them go again. I have seen fights break out in front of the guards and they do not a hell of a lot to break them up. And calling the guards all well and good if the incident is going to go on for while if not don't bother, as by the time they get there it will be well and truly over

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Gangs of kids shouldn't be allowed loiter around town, there's laws against doing it so it's just a matter of Garda enforcement.

The assault sounds terrible but I feel very safe walking around town. The only time there seems to be any hassle in town is late at night, in or around chippers, with lots of drink involved.

Town in general is an extremely friendly and non hostile place to be in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Xantia wrote: »
    As a parent I know where my kids are always and I think it is a very bad sign of the state of the city
    The OP should have rang Anglesea Street Garda Station, they would have sent a car and probably have the incident on CCTV, however if it is not brought to their attention they might not have seen it or do anything about it.

To be honest it wasn't worth reporting. If those lads were real scumbags they would have hit me and not thought twice about it, there was 4 of them and countless more up the street. They could of battered me if they wanted to but they were more waiting for me to strike first. Didn't give them the satisfaction.

I live and work in town and that was the first bit of trouble I encountered since I was a teenager but as someone else pointed out there is a real aggression around the place lately, more at day than night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Gangs of kids shouldn't be allowed loiter around town, there's laws against doing it so it's just a matter of Garda enforcement.

What laws?

isn't there some law against loitering, just one of those ones like cant drink on the street.. Need a good ass whoping that's what they do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

This whole malarkey started a few years ago, I'm told - young hard-chaws and chawesses coming into the city-centre from various insalubrious areas, mainly the North side, to amuse themselves on Saturday afternoons by acting the lad and staging veritable pitched battles on side-streets of Pana, such as Academy Street. It sounds like it's getting steadily worse, and as usual the dregs of society appear to be in charge. For some reason the good burghers of Cork put up with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

The assault sounds terrible but I feel very safe walking around town. The only time there seems to be any hassle in town is late at night, in or around chippers, with lots of drink involved.

Town in general is an extremely friendly and non hostile place to be in my opinion.

I would agree.Now we have a problem with roaming gangs of toerags who loiter around the city centre on weekends causing trouble but Cork City centre is not as bad or as lawless as the area around O'Connell Street in Dublin just yet.This was a nasty incident but in the grand scheme of things Cork is a very nice and pleasant city to work, live in, and visit as the many visitors we get will verify.We need more of a garda presence in town on weekends to move away loitering groups but the city is not a lawless war zone.Then again i suppose you would have the political correctness crowd blabbering on about rights etc if the guards start ordering groups of youths to stop loitering.The point is that our city is not perfect but it's still a very nice city in the grand scheme of things and our problems are not as bad as that of other cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

brevity wrote: »
    Was walking through the city on Sunday and definitely felt an air of aggression about the place and I even said it to my girlfriend. We actually walked through Winthrop Street and I noticed that McDonalds now have two bouncers on the doors. There were a bunch of lads trying to push their way in...this was at around 3 or 4 in the afternoon.

Seems a bit worrying that this is starting to happen and a Garda presence should be visible on weekends.

I'll have to start taking up some self defence classes :pac:

There's your air of aggression EVERY Saturday evening - I know as there are gangs hanging out in the laneway connecting Penneys to Oliver Plunkett Street, a walk I do every Saturday. I hate being in town at that time (especially in Winter, as it's darker early).
    It just feels so aggressive and tense.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

The Gardai should hang their heads in shame that they allow teen agers to rule the streets at the weekends I have seen them myself and they seem to be drinking alcohol out of coke bottles, young girls seem to be the worst, no shame. I saw a drunk guy in town a couple of weeks ago stopping traffic outside McDonalds in Daunt Square. I was walking past Finns Corner when a patrol car came around the corner, I stopped them, I told them about the guy who was still in road. They said thanks and drove down the Coal Quay without even stopping,useless. If you go to any other city inn Europe this behaviour is not tolerated or accepted by the police.
    I know they get fed up with dealing with the same people all the time but that is what that are paid to do.
    For years they complained that they had no powers to move people on then the city council enacted by laws to allow them and they still don't.
    One there point is to the parents of these young girls, they are around town dressed like young prostitutes and are drinking,have we lost all sense of shame and decency. I have a teen myself and its hard work but you are the parent and its our job to keep them on the straight and narrow.
    Most kids you see in town are well behaved just hanging around with their friends but there is an element who just ruin it for everyone.
    Hope the Chief Super reads this.

The only time I have seen Gardai do something is when they are checking the details of Charities and buskers around Paul Street

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Another bunch of absolute filth (i won't call them animals because that would be unfair to animals) causing trouble on Winthrop St again just now. A group of 5 or 6 teenagers, drinking, spitting at people, roaring abuse at people walking past, and the worst part, threatening to hit people unless they part with their mobile phones. Witnessed it all from outside the Work Web House. Disgusting to watch. Guards at Anglesea St have been phoned, and this time they need to do more than just tell them to move on...they actually need to arrest them and put them in a cell for the night. Sick of this crap. It's happening on a weekly basis now and nought being done about it.

grenache wrote: »
    Another bunch of absolute filth (i won't call them animals because that would be unfair to animals) causing trouble on Winthrop St again just now. A group of 5 or 6 teenagers, drinking, spitting at people, roaring abuse at people walking past, and the worst part, threatening to hit people unless they part with their mobile phones. Witnessed it all from outside the Work Web House. Disgusting to watch. Guards at Anglesea St have been phoned, and this time they need to do more than just tell them to move on...they actually need to arrest them and put them in a cell for the night. Sick of this crap. It's happening on a weekly basis now and nought being done about it.

I walked past this place around 10pm last night. There was about 8-10 lads around about 18-20 years old. They were just talking between themselves, but was first time I felt bit uneasy walking on my own around City. 2 girls in front of me walked to other side. Lads did nothing, but at same time you would want keep head down

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I walked past this place around 10pm last night. There was about 8-10 lads around about 18-20 years old. They were just talking between themselves, but was first time I felt bit uneasy walking on my own around City. 2 girls in front of me walked to other side. Lads did nothing, but at same time you would want keep head down
    Lots of people really intimidated tonight anyway. I can't blame you for being uneasy. One of them came up to my friend who was smoking and asked for a cigarette. He gave him one (if he didn't i'm sure him and his other scummy mates would have started on us) just to placate the guy. He looked at me and told me he'd be back in five minutes to take my phone. Charming. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

Gardai again to busy on a Wed night, useless the lot of em. Bet if they were hanging around where the Super lives they would respond.
    Scum have nothing to fear.

• Advertisement

grenache wrote: »
    Lots of people really intimidated tonight anyway. I can't blame you for being uneasy. One of them came up to my friend who was smoking and asked for a cigarette. He gave him one (if he didn't i'm sure him and his other scummy mates would have started on us) just to placate the guy. He looked at me and told me he'd be back in five minutes to take my phone. Charming. :rolleyes:

Scum!

Middle of the City you should be able to feel as comfortable as you like.

Kinda makes me angry what you posted. Sure there is few old people having a pint around the City and might walk that way to get home or get bus/taxi and they bump into these lads.

If I see it with my own eyes I will make calls to radio stations and papers.

Advertisement