Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day time assault in cork city centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

It has made 'the paper'

Irish Examiner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Xantia wrote: »
    It has made 'the paper'

Irish Examiner
    Now if they could publish the faces of the little sh1ts involved..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭brevity

Something needs to be done, this sort of stuff boils my blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

"It prompted gardaí to write to the principals of the city’s second-level schools asking them to warn their students to comply with garda instructions."

:eek:

Lord give me strength!! As if that would have any effect. The individuals causing this hassle are certainly not school going kids. They have no respect for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

These ar$eholes need to be banned from the city centre.If they cause hassle and are caught together again at any other time,then arrested on the spot.

What they should also do is put their mugshot in the papers like they do in the states or up on billboards around the city.

It will be interesting to see how many cops will be walking the streets from now on at weekends,if any at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I see there's been a lot of comments towards the Gardaí and the lack of enforcement.
    I'd like to get a Garda to comments on here explaining the difficulties they have dealing with these type of individuals causing hassle.

I remember this debate a few months back, and it highlights some of the problems Gardaí can encounter: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057042908&page=18

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

"have been released without charge" Christ almighty!

Does anyone get punished for violence anymore. I just watched the video of it on the Examiners website and it really is disturbing. You can see the toerag do it.

I used work in town until the end of last September and I used notice that on a Wednesday afternoon it used be worse than normal as the secondary school students were out early.

We need more Gardai, and a better class of Judiciary.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Gangs of kids shouldn't be allowed loiter around town, there's laws against doing it so it's just a matter of Garda enforcement.

Most of them are harmless, they're too old to play on the swings in playgrounds and too young to go to pubs or clubs what are they supposed to do?:confused:
    Granted, there is a small element of scum, but it's more in your face than before.

As another poster mentioned, Sat nights are turning the place into a right jungle. I tend to avoid going out on sats now.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,221 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

These ar$eholes need to be banned from the city centre.If they cause hassle and are caught together again at any other time,then arrested on the spot.

What they should also do is put their mugshot in the papers like they do in the states or up on billboards around the city.

It will be interesting to see how many cops will be walking the streets from now on at weekends,if any at all.

I think that is great idea.

Sadly we live in a world where the Goody Gooders wont be happy with that.

Name and shame is what I say. I dont care if they're 15 or 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

asbo anyone? remember them...lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

I think that is great idea.

Sadly we live in a world where the Goody Gooders wont be happy with that.

Name and shame is what I say. I dont care if they're 15 or 25.

They haven't been convicted of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

evilivor wrote: »
    Nor has Sean Fitzpatrick, David Drumm, etc. The main points being made here is that the current legal system is stacked in the favour of these little runts.

evilivor wrote: »

Its not like people are just going to put up some random poster of some random person.

We are talking about little rags who go around kicking people and stealing from people walking by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

grenache wrote: »
    "It prompted gardaí to write to the principals of the city’s second-level schools asking them to warn their students to comply with garda instructions."

:eek:

This drives me crazy! As if they give a toss what the principal has to say. I swear after hearing the solicitor for the Dundon scumbag saying they were appealing his conviction of Shane Geoghegan's murder - I feel like throwing up!
    Not long before these toerags will have complete control - their rights my ;$%!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

I was driving down Shandon Street just before 9 last night and I saw a gang that would match the description above basically attacking an off-licence and I'm guessing, robbing it. They headed off in the direction of town so it could possibly be the same crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I was driving down Shandon Street just before 9 last night and I saw a gang that would match the description above basically attacking an off-licence and I'm guessing, robbing it. They headed off in the direction of town so it could possibly be the same crowd.

On that evidence we should hang them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Im surprised the Retailers havent complained about it.

Because in the long term nobody will want to shop in the City and will go to Mahon Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

catallus wrote: »
    the hangers on who followed him down the road are our legal equals; they can do as they please.
    I disagree with this. They can get away with more, for less punishment.
    mcko wrote: »
    The judical system Gardai should hang their heads in shame that they allow teen agers to rule the streets at the weekends
    If the Garda arrests the scum, the scum seem to be out in no time.
    For years they complained that they had no powers to move people on then the city council enacted by laws to allow them and they still don't.
    Move people on????????????????? What a load of crap. Move them on so that they can congregate elsewhere?
    The only time I have seen Gardai do something is when they are checking the details of Charities and buskers around Paul Street
    Only those who obey the law fear the law.
    Cian92 wrote: »
    "have been released without charge" Christ almighty!
    Since the scum would be released regardless, they were probably advised (by friends) it'd be less hassle for the victim if they didn't press charges, esp if said victom had to pass by the area on a regular basis.
    Dbu wrote: »
    asbo anyone? remember them...lol
    Are they the badges of honour that teenagers collect?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭brevity

If they are on the dole or state benefits, then these need to be reduced for repeat offenders. If they are working, then they get fines.

Take their money and if they want it back then they need to do community service or they have to sit and pass a FAS/PLC course.

If they don't attend, money and benefits reduced. Some people need to learn that if you don't contribute to society then you don't deserve the benefits.

the_syco wrote: »
    Only those who obey the law fear the law.

Thats a very good saying, sadly.

I dont want to go into a Garda bashing and label them all like Taxidrivers are labeled etc, but its just frustrating that the only time I have seen Gardai doing anything of note is actually when they stop buskers or charity people.

Far more things to be worried about imo.

I understand too the frustrations of actually doing their job and arresting these lads for only them to be free without charge short term later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I understand too the frustrations of actually doing their job and arresting these lads for only them to be free without charge short term later.
    And face possibly prosecution themselves when those lads get violent.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

Just in town today, the amount of young girls pushing prams is unreal, and the amount of beggars and winos, there is a guy begging under the TSB atm on Patricks St, is there another city in Europe you could get away with doing that, I saw guards walking past.

I would hate to have a business in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Just in town today, the amount of young girls pushing prams is unreal, and the amount of beggars and winos, there is a guy begging under the TSB atm on Patricks St, is there another city in Europe you could get away with doing that, I saw guards walking past.

You should see Paris, all the homeless dossing down in front of the Gare Du Nord.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

Well Dublin would be an answer to the bit in bold!There have been beggars and whinos in Cork for years.I still think is a fairly safe city overall but we do have an increasing problem with young hoodlums loitering around the city centre on weekend eveninigs.It will be interesting to see will we see an increased garda presence this weekend.Yes if we move these people on then they will congregate elsewhere but at least they won't be loitering around and causing hassle in the middle of the city.How many murders or shootings have there been in Cork this year?Exactly.If gangs of loitering youths are the worst of our problems then it mustn't be that bad a city.:)

its not a bad city but if you allow gangs away with small things they graduate to bigger crime, Dublin in fairness is like a different country at this stage, it is sad the amount of killings. I was in Dublin last year for the first time in years and was shocked by the scum all over the place. I got the LUAS from the Red Cow to town and it was scary the people on it.
    This thread is about Cork and its now the Gardai need to act.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

its not a bad city but if you allow gangs away with small things they graduate to bigger crime, Dublin in fairness is like a different country at this stage, it is sad the amount of killings. I was in Dublin last year for the first time in years and was shocked by the scum all over the place. I got the LUAS from the Red Cow to town and it was scary the people on it.
    This thread is about Cork and its now the Gardai need to act.

Oh i agree im just making the point that Cork is not some sort of lawless social armageddon just yet and that we need to keep it that way!

Oh i agree im just making the point that Cork is not some sort of lawless social armageddon just yet and that we need to keep it that way!

No it'a not......but Cork city (Patrick's Street and environs) isn't a pleasant place to be on Saturday late afternoon or at night. I'm not talking about people out and about and enjoying themselves - it's the groups of young teens that intimidate passers-by. It's just rough - not on the scale of O'Connell Street, but not a place to feel safe either.

Again what are the forces of law and order doing.

Too busy trying to catch somebody doing 41mph in a 40mph zone if ask me.

It just annoys me that anytime I see a Garda they are just harressing innocent people either singing or doing charity work

• Advertisement

And due to cutbacks, not sure there's enough of gardaí around. Also, if scumbags are caught......zero happens - can't say that's the fault of the gardaí. The law here is laughable.
    It would be better if there was a more garda presence in Cork City - our local station here is open from 2pm-6pm in Mahon........so, basically all here are filling in forms, rather than being out in the community helping people and making law-abiding people feel safe.

Advertisement