Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifle case.

Options
  • 25-03-2014 8:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭

Lads I'm toying with the idea of making a rifle case.

I'm thinking timber one out of Wallnut with a veneer design on the top.
    Dove tail joints on all corners. Can you buy foam inserts so I can cut to size and shape.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Yeah Peli Ireland probably sell the ones used in Peli cases. I've never had to buy foam myself but they definitely mentioned being able to if I needed more.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

www.efoam.ie

Simples. :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

If you are going to the trouble of making a case, dovetailing the joints, (and using proper brass fittings),etc., for just a few quid more it would be much nicer to use real wood and make a tailor-fitted case with a felt interior and felt-covered dividers. Have a look at the leather covered ones from Jeff’s here for a few ideas. Plastic foam is plastic foam; dovetailed ply looks just like ply, regardless of the veneer. Nice project!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

We'll you wouldn't dove tail ply. Finger joint it maybe. But the Beauty of dove tails is the end grain.

Would a fitted case be as protective. I was thinking a foam filled case would be better for bouncing around in the back of the car/ jeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

might be of interest for a few ideas

http://www.treetobox.com/page/riflecaseconstruction

• Advertisement

There a nice job to be fair jr.

Thanks for the tips and links guys. Much appriated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I was thinking a foam filled case would be better for bouncing around in the back of the car/ jeep.

Yup that's spot on. The fitted case would give as much protection from scrapes and cosmetic damage but the foam would distort under impact and reduce the forces transferred to whatever you put in it.

Cheers vegeta. Hopefully I keep the bouncing to a minimum. :-)

Advertisement