Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth traffic morning

Options
  • 25-03-2014 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭

Second morning in a row traffic into Maynooth is mental. Is it the slow lights? Im only 2 minutes later than normal and haven't met this sort of traffic in the last 6 months :-( Takes a full hour to get to work now

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Second morning in a row traffic into Maynooth is mental. Is it the slow lights? Im only 2 minutes later than normal and haven't met this sort of traffic in the last 6 months :-( Takes a full hour to get to work now

Took me 15 minutes from Maxol to the girls school end of the main street this morning , not incl getting out of my estate . AGH

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Took me 15 minutes from Maxol to the girls school end of the main street this morning , not incl getting out of my estate . AGH

Did they change the sequence of the lights at BOI again for people turning right coming in from the motorway??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

no idea,
    The left filter lane there is way easier to get through then the right but never noticed a difference it was 3 changes before I got through,probably more but when they were in view!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Is there any way that taking the left lane will get me on the Dunboyne road? :D

Traffic on The Straffan Road is a permanent disaster.
    Where do you drive from?
    The motorway?
    There is an alternate way to get to the Dunboyne road and come out past Tesco,it is longer but no traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

You can turn right at Maxol, go passed the schools, take the left go straight, brings you out at the main entrance to Carton.

Traffic on The Straffan Road is a permanent disaster.
    Where do you drive from?
    The motorway?
    There is an alternate way to get to the Dunboyne road and come out past Tesco,it is longer but no traffic.

The train station!
    I used to fly through but the last 2 mornings....
    I might try to leave 5 minutes earlier tomorrow & see.

The girls school was off last week so traffic was a lot easier.
    I leave between 8:20 and 8:35 and if you can do it later then do as it eases off a bit and before 8 it is also a bit better.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Is there any way that taking the left lane will get me on the Dunboyne road? :D

You can cut through one of the lanes off main st and take a right and this brings you out on the Dun Boyne road, just past the school.

The girls school was off last week so traffic was a lot easier.
    I leave between 8:20 and 8:35 and if you can do it later then do as it eases off a bit and before 8 it is also a bit better.
    I have to be gone by 8.05
    Will aim for 8 today and see if it makes a difference
    An hour just seems so much longer than my normal 50 minutes! :-P

• Advertisement

lordgoat wrote: »
    You can cut through one of the lanes off main st and take a right and this brings you out on the Dun Boyne road, just past the school.

I guessed this but wanted to try it in evening first,to be sure,thanks

How did you find it today ? I left stupidly late and it was chaos .

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

there is a major issue with people letting every vehicle in - the lights change so quickly that it can often mean a whole lights change can occur without any progress, there is something very wrong with the junction on main street and something needs to be done - Whenever possible I usually boot down the road past olympic motors/SAP landscapes and then go through and over the railway bridge - the problem is that road is in a permanent state chaos due to muck/roadworks/ice/tractors - likewise the road around the side of the Moyglare road is far too narrow.

How did you find it today ? I left stupidly late and it was chaos .

I left just after 8 and traffic was starting to build up from Super Valu. By the time I got about 4 from the top for the lights, when I checked my rearview mirror I could see that traffic was already back up over the hill past SV. It seems that leaving it after 8.05 I'll get stuck so I'll have to make sure I'm gone before that. I counted today though and only 4 cars got through the lights for turning right. Add a slow mover at the top and you're fecked.

Damn,missed that 3 minute window again. Stuck. :-(

Dublin bus are now going up the left lane and indicating at top to move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Fantastic, so Dublin Bus, who cause the traffic to back up by not pulling into a bus stop, now skip past a load of cars that are held up, so they can be held up more??? Doesn't make sense to me, that bus stop on Main St. outside Londis is a pure disaster, they should either move it or else, make it bigger so a bus can actually pull in.

I'm sure people will mention people parking in the bus stop, but that's an issue for parking enforcement. Can the Gardaí still issue parking fines? Because if they could I reckon they could clean up around Maynooth. And sure why not let a few Garda reserves do it?

Staplor wrote: »
    Fantastic, so Dublin Bus, who cause the traffic to back up by not pulling into a bus stop, now skip past a load of cars that are held up, so they can be held up more??? Doesn't make sense to me, that bus stop on Main St. outside Londis is a pure disaster, they should either move it or else, make it bigger so a bus can actually pull in.

I'm sure people will mention people parking in the bus stop, but that's an issue for parking enforcement. Can the Gardaí still issue parking fines? Because if they could I reckon they could clean up around Maynooth. And sure why not let a few Garda reserves do it?

Parking in maynooth is hilarious. I particularly loved the dickhead yesterday that stopped outside the girls school to wait for his child to try and cross a lane of moving traffic - the traffic was able to move as Daddy was blocking all the cars behind him.

Ignorance is alive and well.

Parking enforcement is non existent.
    Beside the band hall building there is a yellow box junction at the entrance to a little park,it can be used as a more scenic way to get to the Dunboyne Road and people are always parking in it so it is impossible to get a buggy in or out of the park,I used to take pictures of the cars blocking it but I gave up as I knew I was never actually going to complain about them.
    There is a parking issue in the town but the old tesco Car Park or DUnnes are never full so I don't understand why people feel the need to park anywhere and everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

I saw the airport hopper do the same thing this week. Very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Damn,missed that 3 minute window again. Stuck. :-(

If no one lets them in then they will be blocking ALL traffic going left. Time to take things into our own hands in relation to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Something I've noticed at the other end of the town is that Maxol being gone has an appreciable impact on motorway direction movements (turning left out and right in) at the Greenfield shops. Maxol had a lot of traffic coming out closer to the Celbridge Road junction where it could get in to slower moving cars, and then hold them up leaving gaps that traffic out of Greenfield used. Now that doesn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Other than a change in the timing of the lights, what else might be affecting traffic in the mornings?

Any chance the 'safety measures' at the girls school/end of Carton Avenue be affecting the flow of traffic? Less space to pull in, so people just stop where they feel like it?

To be honest, that wouldn't affect the stream of traffic flowing in the Straffan road.
    It has to be he lights, coupled with a slow driver or two turning right.
    It's v annoying though with people swanning up the left and indicating, I certainly wouldn't let him in but unfortunately I didn't have a chance to deny him! Cars will end up starting that crack as well.

MYOB wrote: »
    Something I've noticed at the other end of the town is that Maxol being gone has an appreciable impact on motorway direction movements (turning left out and right in) at the Greenfield shops. Maxol had a lot of traffic coming out closer to the Celbridge Road junction where it could get in to slower moving cars, and then hold them up leaving gaps that traffic out of Greenfield used. Now that doesn't happen.

I never thought of that but I don't think it has much of an impact,the only way to get out from that junction is when the traffic is backed up and idiots do not pull in to the yellow box junction as they tend to do. It depends on the traffic lights at both sides too.
    My record wait to get out there is 20 minutes due to people not abiding by the yellow box. My poor kids are experts on yellow box junctions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

lordgoat wrote: »

But when the filter light is green to go left, so is the filter light for traffic coming from the roost direction to turn right. So if you try that you hold up the whole left lane.

Nino Brown wrote: »
    But when the filter light is green to go left, so is the filter light for traffic coming from the roost direction to turn right. So if you try that you hold up the whole left lane.

This is incorrect. There's a good 30seconds where the cars coming from the roost are on red.

Plus if you're a good driver you can position your car to allow cars to turn left and get past you while waiting for a gap in the traffic. I've seen many people do this for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭martybike

Sounds like Maynooth could do with another set of traffic lights. KCC reckons you can never have enough traffic lights!

martybike wrote: »
    Sounds like Maynooth could do with another set of traffic lights. KCC reckons you can never have enough traffic lights!

Ask and you shall receive. Another pointless set of pedestrian lights on the way to tesco, ready to be unveiled. Hurrah

No they won't put traffic lights at the junction before Maxol because there are too many on the Straffan Road already.

I am beginning to wonder how many fender benders and accidents a week happen on The Straffan Road,there was an accident this morning with fire engines and ambulances which is more serious then normal but we have gone through weeks where I have seen a minor accident a day out there.

• Advertisement

Ironically, I was earlier this morning and got to Supervalu with lights at top of road green and I managed to get through at a normal speed. It seems ironic that the less traffic = longer lights, more traffic = lights that change after 4 cars! I came across an accident with fire engines & ambulance also today, not on Straffan rd though

Advertisement