Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth traffic morning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Moonbeam wrote: »
    No they won't put traffic lights at the junction before Maxol because there are too many on the Straffan Road already.

They've suggested putting lights at the Meadowbrook Link and again at Kingsbry already...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I have to laugh when I hear about people in traffic complaining about the traffic.
    You are part of the problem unfortunately - YOU are the traffic.
    The policy of the planners is not to make things easier for motorists who wish to make 1 mile journeys by car.....
    The quickest way for Maynooth residents to get into Maynooth is by bicycle or walk.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

gman2k wrote: »
    I have to laugh when I hear about people in traffic complaining about the traffic.
    The policy of the planners is not to make things easier for motorists who wish to make 1 mile journeys by car.....
    The quickest way for Maynooth residents to get into Maynooth is by bicycle or walk.

I don't think anyone is arguing that the problem is you need to get through Maynooth to get to other places .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Where's that damn link road?

Also wasn't there talk of a new motorway exit out the Rathcoffey side of the town, 2 exits would be great, you could take the college traffic out of the town totally, I suppose like what Leixlip has.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Staplor wrote: »

Also wasn't there talk of a new motorway exit out the Rathcoffey side of the town, 2 exits would be great, you could take the college traffic out of the town totally, I suppose like what Leixlip has.

The talk was of it outright replacing the existing exit though. Would be too close otherwise.

Ringroad was first promised before I was born!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Staplor wrote: »

One of those is 100% because of Intel though right? Or are there 2 leixlip's and the intel. Wow i really need to pay more attention!

I think the main problem with Maynooth is, those places that are heavy traffic draws (school/college/tesco/even mass) means you have to go through the town more often than not. If that new school goes in... there will be some fun in the town on a wet morning around 8:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

what a fabulous insight! I work in Drogheda,what do you suggest?:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

what a fabulous insight! I work in Drogheda,what do you suggest?:-)

I'm confused, if you are working in Drogheda why do you need to use the Straffan Road towards Maynooth?

Maybe I'm missing something?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I presume he goes through DUnboyne too?

I presume he goes through DUnboyne too?

She does.
    Motorway traffic is even worse,and frequent incidents on M4. Was often held up at slip road!
    So I go back roads. Quicker. And a few kms shorter.

• Advertisement

She does.
    Motorway traffic is even worse,and frequent incidents on M4. Was often held up at slip road!
    So I go back roads. Quicker. And a few kms shorter.

So the post from gman2k is also specifically relevant to you. The National Road Network has been developed to be used by National Traffic, in your case along the N4, M50 and M1 I would think.

but it's a free world and you have exercised your right to travel along Local Roads to your destination.

So you are definitely part of and contributing to the local traffic problem in Maynooth. So I can't see how you can justify calling gman2k's accurate comments as being a "fabulous insight".

But again, maybe I'm missing something?

HonalD wrote: »
    So the post from gman2k is also specifically relevant to you. The National Road Network has been developed to be used by National Traffic, in your case along the N4, M50 and M1 I would think.

but it's a free world and you have exercised your right to travel along Local Roads to your destination.

So you are definitely part of and contributing to the local traffic problem in Maynooth. So I can't see how you can justify calling gman2k's accurate comments as being a "fabulous insight".

But again, maybe I'm missing something?

Jesus, what the hell is that post about? The N4, M50 and M1 is not a route that works for me. I travelled it once or twice a week from Maynooth before I actually moved to Maynooth and it took a full hour to get to work, with delays frequent on the off ramp particularly on wet or frosty days. Majority of traffic is travelling against me on the Dunboyne route so I find it more.... therapeutic! Roads are obviously not as good though and a 50km trip averages out as about 65km an hour (which is definitely not my preferred speed!)

His post wasn't very helpful. The problem isn't JUST getting INTO Maynooth and it certainly wasn't the reason I set the thread up. It's getting THROUGH it and his suggestion of walking or cycling was a bit ignorant in my opinion, particularly for the distance that I have to cover.

My reply to him was sarcasm. In hindsight, I should just ignore people who post idiotic comments.

Jesus, what the hell is that post about? The N4, M50 and M1 is not a route that works for me. I travelled it once or twice a week from Maynooth before I actually moved to Maynooth and it took a full hour to get to work, with delays frequent on the off ramp particularly on wet or frosty days. Majority of traffic is travelling against me on the Dunboyne route so I find it more.... therapeutic! Roads are obviously not as good though and a 50km trip averages out as about 65km an hour (which is definitely not my preferred speed!)

His post wasn't very helpful. The problem isn't JUST getting INTO Maynooth and it certainly wasn't the reason I set the thread up. It's getting THROUGH it and his suggestion of walking or cycling was a bit ignorant in my opinion, particularly for the distance that I have to cover.

My reply to him was sarcasm. In hindsight, I should just ignore people who post idiotic comments.

You've said that it takes an hour to get to work on the National Road Network but you can rat-run across the back roads at 65kph for a 50 km trip, looks like a similar journey time, perhaps max 10 min shorter.

However, your choice adds to traffic in Maynooth Town and if everybody who works off the M1 north of Fingal chooses to drive through urban areas rather than purpose built motorways, well maybe you live in a glasshouse (that was sarcasm).:)

I don't know when you last drove from Maynooth to Dundalk on the motorways but they are safer than any other type of road and with the free flow junction from N4 onto M50, I can't understand why you think it is slower to use?

You've said that it takes an hour to get to work on the National Road Network but you can rat-run across the back roads at 65kph for a 50 km trip, looks like a similar journey time, perhaps max 10 min shorter.

However, your choice adds to traffic in Maynooth Town and if everybody who works off the M1 north of Fingal chooses to drive through urban areas rather than purpose built motorways, well maybe you live in a glasshouse (that was sarcasm).:)

I don't know when you last drove from Maynooth to Dundalk on the motorways but they are safer than any other type of road and with the free flow junction from N4 onto M50, I can't understand why you think it is slower to use?

More traffic. More tolls. More petrol. More expense.

Slip road from Maynooth ONTO M4 can be slow with delays due to frost, poor driving conditions or regular incidents and it could be after 8.30 before I'd even be on the M50.

I prefer to go backroads, I have said already, I find it more relaxing. Because of less traffic (after Maynooth!!) but roads are obviously not in the same condition as the motorways.

Why do you seem to intent on trying to send me via N4?! I drive cross country & don't think there should be an issue with that. I don't think my issue per sé is with the traffic, as it's not the traffic's fault, but with the lights at the T junction which only allow 3/4 cars to turn right at a busy time of the morning, resulting in back ups and left lane blockages.

Comprendez? :)

Oh and 10 minutes shorter helps! That's almost 1 hour per week! Not to mention the return journey :-) I know how busy things can get on the M50/Lucan area junction and prefer to avoid that!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

You obviously don't use the M4/50 all that often or have never been caught in a traffic accident that causes you to be anything up to 2hours late for work. I HAVE and can sympathise with the OP. YOU are taking the topic off on a tangent which is unhelpful.

More traffic. More tolls. More petrol. More expense.

Slip road from Maynooth ONTO M4 can be slow with delays due to frost, poor driving conditions or regular incidents and it could be after 8.30 before I'd even be on the M50.

I prefer to go backroads, I have said already, I find it more relaxing. Because of less traffic (after Maynooth!!) but roads are obviously not in the same condition as the motorways.

Why do you seem to intent on trying to send me via N4?! I drive cross country & don't think there should be an issue with that. I don't think my issue per sé is with the traffic, as it's not the traffic's fault, but with the lights at the T junction which only allow 3/4 cars to turn right at a busy time of the morning, resulting in back ups and left lane blockages.

Comprendez? :)

Oh and 10 minutes shorter helps! That's almost 1 hour per week! Not to mention the return journey :-) I know how busy things can get on the M50/Lucan area junction and prefer to avoid that!

Plus the approx 25e per week in toll fees that you save :)

Ok, as I alluded to its a free country so anyone can drive whatever route they choose.

but if one is delayed by traffic through Maynooth Town and their destination is 50km or more away, then I think the moral high ground is lost.

As was stated, your trip contributes to traffic congestion, and needlessly so, I'd expect to be considered from anyone who is delayed getting to their destination in the Town.

Let's look at a parallel situation, if a driver who doesn't like motorways but wants to get to Dublin Airport from Maynooth, being delayed at a set of traffic lights is hardly the most pressing issue. Your trip is similar and I'm afraid the other poster gman? Is correct, your trip contributes to the congestion in Maynooth, plain and simple.

But let's leave it there, we live in a democracy thankfully and if we were all the same life would be boring.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend...and drive safely.

You obviously don't use the M4/50 all that often or have never been caught in a traffic accident that causes you to be anything up to 2hours late for work. I HAVE and can sympathise with the OP. YOU are taking the topic off on a tangent which is unhelpful.

Wireless dude I'm only pointing out that 1 trip through Maynooth in the morning, is contributing to the congestion we all have to endure.

I don't have a problem with the OP's comments, only that the trip contributes to congestion and waiting 5 minutes at a set of lights doesn't seem critical for a communt to Dundalk.

And if anyone can find definite information that it takes longer than using the National Road Network, I'd welcome that.

Ok, as I alluded to its a free country so anyone can drive whatever route they choose.

but if one is delayed by traffic through Maynooth Town and their destination is 50km or more away, then I think the moral high ground is lost.

As was stated, your trip contributes to traffic congestion, and needlessly so, I'd expect to be considered from anyone who is delayed getting to their destination in the Town.

Let's look at a parallel situation, if a driver who doesn't like motorways but wants to get to Dublin Airport from Maynooth, being delayed at a set of traffic lights is hardly the most pressing issue. Your trip is similar and I'm afraid the other poster gman? Is correct, your trip contributes to the congestion in Maynooth, plain and simple.

But let's leave it there, we live in a democracy thankfully and if we were all the same life would be boring.

of course I contribute,never denied that. If lights stayed green longer,there wouldn't be a back up and traffic could move more freely!

Thankfully,once it gets to the weekend,I don't use the car,if at all :-) Dodgy tummy more of a concern tonight!:-)

of course I contribute,never denied that. If lights stayed green longer,there wouldn't be a back up and traffic could move more freely!

Thankfully,once it gets to the weekend,I don't use the car,if at all :-) Dodgy tummy more of a concern tonight!:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Have you tried traveling across country from Straffan road toward carton, landing you in the leixlip road free to go up dunboyne road ? R405

No I haven't, not srue of the way.
    I turn at the girls school in Maynooth and travel to Dunb that way. To be honest, I've done it for 6/7 months and only last week found it an issue. Maybe due to the fact I was a few minutes later (4/5) leaving in the morning myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

If lights stayed green longer,there wouldn't be a back up and traffic could move more freely!

The traffic onto Maynooth Main Street comes from 6 different directions.
    If one route's lights stayed on green for longer, then the other 5 routes would be delayed even further!

Again, the policy (nationally) is not to make things easier for motorists, as they are the ones who ARE the traffic.

There are plenty of people in Maynooth who will readily get into their car to drive down town at rush hour, but who would be quicker walking/ cycling.
    Me personally, I gave up driving down town during the day, and found it quicker and healthier to walk and cycle!

If one route's lights stayed on green for longer, then the other 5 routes would be delayed even further!

Again, the policy (nationally) is not to make things easier for motorists, as they are the ones who ARE the traffic.

There are plenty of people in Maynooth who will readily get into their car to drive down town at rush hour, but who would be quicker walking/ cycling.
    Me personally, I gave up driving down town during the day, and found it quicker and healthier to walk and cycle!

Oh that's understandable.
    And if I was heading down to town for something, I walk.
    But unfortunately in my case, that's not an option for work.

Is this what the discussion is about?

For as long as I have been living here the various authorities have been fiddling with the lights sequence both at the Glenroyal and also at the Straffan Road Junction at Main Street with little effect. I have noticed often within the same week huge variance with the amount of time given to traffic turning right. Sometimes it is 4/5 cars that can get through and other times it could be anything up to 10/12. And before anyone says anything it generally isn't anything to do with cars being slow, the actual amount of time given seems to change.

Is this what the discussion is about?

For as long as I have been living here the various authorities have been fiddling with the lights sequence both at the Glenroyal and also at the Straffan Road Junction at Main Street with little effect. I have noticed often within the same week huge variance with the amount of time given to traffic turning right. Sometimes it is 4/5 cars that can get through and other times it could be anything up to 10/12. And before anyone says anything it generally isn't anything to do with cars being slow, the actual amount of time given seems to change.

I'd be very worried if the time given to each approach was the same all the time. You'd logically get traffic stopped on one approach waiting for a green light but while another approach there is light traffic being given the same time for a green light.

After all, there is only 60 seconds in a minute so changing the times for green lights based on actual levels of traffic seems to be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

No I haven't, not srue of the way.
    I turn at the girls school in Maynooth and travel to Dunb that way. To be honest, I've done it for 6/7 months and only last week found it an issue. Maybe due to the fact I was a few minutes later (4/5) leaving in the morning myself.

Here's what you need to do every morning. Turn right at the Maxol station headed for Celbridge. Drive for approx 2km and take the next tern left (just after a big old house). Drive along these back roads for 3km (there are a lot of sharp bends so take your time). At the end of it, go over the bridge and to your left. This brings you out by entrance to Carton. Note: This road is dodgy enough when frost/ice about.

Drive another 2 km and turn right and you're on the Dunboyne road.

While this way is longer, you will never be held up in traffic. Anyone making their way to Dunboyne from the Straffan end will take this route.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

ixus wrote: »
    Here's what you need to do every morning. Turn right at the Maxol station headed for Celbridge. Drive for approx 2km and take the next tern left (just after a big old house). Drive along these back roads for 3km (there are a lot of sharp bends so take your time). At the end of it, go over the bridge and to your left. This brings you out by entrance to Carton. Note: This road is dodgy enough when frost/ice about.

Drive another 2 km and turn right and you're on the Dunboyne road.

While this way is longer, you will never be held up in traffic. Anyone making their way to Dunboyne from the Straffan end will take this route.

While this is a good way to go depending on where you start from I'd still go through main st and then cut through the back lane.

Like if you live in Griffin Rath it's def an option as you're on that side to start with. If in Meadowbrook/Newtown Court, not so much...

Also I don't think you did some of the bends justice on that back road!

I go that way some mornings it feels a lot longer but it is a straight run,after this week is 2 weeks of midterm so traffic will be lovely.

• Advertisement

I go that way some mornings it feels a lot longer but it is a straight run,after this week is 2 weeks of midterm so traffic will be lovely.

I think you've hit the nail on the head Moonbeam. ;)

Advertisement