Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pathway border planting

• 25-03-2014 9:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭

I plan to plant along a front pathway to front door.

I find box hedging a bit too formal for me and would something a bit more relaxed but that won't spread everywhere. Probably evergreen so that it doesn't look bare in winter. The garden is a country garden.

Would be happy to hear suggestions as I can't visualise what I want! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

So much choice, but Photinia Nana (Dwarf growing Red Robin) would make a very striking and informal low growing evergreen (green+red) border.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

So much choice, but Photinia Nana (Dwarf growing Red Robin) would make a very striking and informal low growing evergreen (green+red) border.

Thanks, these look really good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Box doesn't have to be/look formal, just don't cut it as often and when you do don't cut it as symmetrically as you see in formal gardens.
    Lavender makes a great low informal hedge, lovely foilage and beautifully scented flowers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭handandy

Box doesn't have to be/look formal, just don't cut it as often and when you do don't cut it as symmetrically as you see in formal gardens.
    Lavender makes a great low informal hedge, lovely foilage and beautifully scented flowers.
    lavender , dwarf viburnum or pachyphragma all make for a nice flowering border row and style of informal low hedgerow . box hedging can be prone to box blight and if you cant get rid of box blight then its the end for the hedge , it has to be cut out and the roots dug up and burned . monty don had to dig up his entire box hedging and burn it all as he couldnt get rid of the box blight no matter how hard he tried to . there is no actual cure for box blight , all you can do is try to contain it and prevent it from spreading
    https://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=96

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I'll check these out today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Lavender is lovely, but it goes woody and straggly looking if it's not cut back by at least a third after flowering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,677 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Lonicera nitida is a good alternative to box, it has to be kept trimmed or it goes leggy, but it has a nice tidy little leaf and is very easy.

Advertisement