Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I come too

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

bluewolf wrote: »
    Bench

20 x8
    30 x5
    35 x3
    40 x3
    47.5 (=100%) x5
    lols new 5rm
    video in the usual spot
    "that looks like a warm up set"
    :D

37.5 6x5
    -superset-
    assisted dips
    5x10

RDL
    20 x8
    DL
    60 x5
    85 x3 (because i can't add up to 75)
    95 x2
    100 x1
    with belt:
    110 (=90%) 4x1
    grand

Machine seated row
    28 4x12

Xtrainer
    1h05 mins / 10km
    I had a lot of calories from yesterday to work off...

I need a nap now

Looks like you had another 3 in you tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I knew I'd be wrecked after yesterday but jayz

Toe squat
    20 x5
    30 x5
    40 x3

Squat
    50 x2
    60 2x4
    55 3x4

Very very very heavy today, total grind. Working set was supposed to be 65, not a chance

Bench
    20 x8
    30 4x8

Lat pulldown
    28 4x15
    Had the fight with your man in the middle of this :rolleyes:

xtrainer 3km / 20 mins

If I can manage to get up early in the morning I'll do more xtrainer.

Plan for the next 4 weeks is to attempt smolov jr bench + squat, modified to be 3x/week for 4wks instead of 4x / 3
    Deadlifts can continue to take care of themselves. Haven't really been working on them so whatever
    It's the plan anyway we'll see how I get on. That'll leave me a deload week before cork

• Registered Users Posts: 24,591 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Smolov Jr for peaking! Interesting!!

It's probably for people more advanced than me and I'll probably hide in my room and cry after a couple of sessions but sure I'll give it a go next week
    I wanna try the texas method seeing nic's progress but I'm not sure if it's for peaking at this stage

That said, I'm pretty sure the club's program right now, which I will switch to if I need to, is an adapted version of sm jr, some of the stuff is looking pretty similar

It's probably for people more advanced than me and I'll probably hide in my room and cry after a couple of sessions but sure I'll give it a go next week
    I wanna try the texas method seeing nic's progress but I'm not sure if it's for peaking at this stage

Not at all. I did it a few years ago. Just checked log books and it was 3.5 years ago. It was tough but doable even for a beginner. I tried to do too much else though which probably cost me more on the end

• Advertisement

Not at all. I did it a few years ago. Just checked log books and it was 3.5 years ago. It was tough but doable even for a beginner. I tried to do too much else though which probably cost me more on the end

Yeah based on my reading and all that's why I've moved it to 3 days, I read you should really do that if you're doing both sq + bench for it or you'll be ded. Minimum of anything else. Maximum sleep
    Did you make much progress

Yeah based on my reading and all that's why I've moved it to 3 days, I read you should really do that if you're doing both sq + bench for it or you'll be ded. Minimum of anything else. Maximum sleep
    Did you make much progress

I had no idea what I was doing and started the bench about 2 weeks into squat. Completely clueless and was doing all of the everything and was still trying to get a handle on nutrition...so not bit PRs but I knew then I'd hamstrung myself when I came to the end

• Registered Users Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Can't beat them new programme feels! :D Will be interested in how it goes for you #gainztime

55 mins Xtrainer / 9km
    Exactly 00 on both :p
    I hadn't been to my morning gym in weeks, the renovations are much further along. Climbing wall in there now, and everything has been moved around
    Was happy out gawping at everything for the hour

• Registered Users Posts: 17,547 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

TM is just a progressive overload program and not designed for peaking. However, there is a way an allowance can be made for meets.

Normal program:
    The-Texas-Method-Program.jpg

On meet week Monday, you would do 3x5 @ 90% of what you should be doing. On wednesday, you would stay with the 2x5 but at 90% of what you should be doing. Skip the Friday and then do the meet on the Sat/Sun.

Also, because you only bench heavy every 2nd week, you would need to set meet week as a heavy bench week and work backwards in the calendar so you don't end up with meet week as your heavy OHP week.

(I thought I replied to this yesterday but lost it somehow)

• Advertisement

That's nic that's very useful.
    I think I'll try it out after cork as my next program

• Registered Users Posts: 17,547 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Don't tell Hanley. He despises Ripp and SS/TM

Too lazy to log warm ups
    Yesterday 25/04:

Squat
    57.5 6x6

Terrible

Bench
    35 6x6

Grand

Xtrainer
    Very slow 2km to stretch

Ehhh I'm probably gonna leave accessory stuff out this week

In bed asleep by 2130
    #madlads
    This morning because i am a crazy person:
    Squat
    60 5x5 + 2
    Terrible
    Everything after set 1 was a grind

Bench
    37.5 7x5
    Grand

Time for my protein porridge

Did anyone else who's done this use actual or 90% 1rm to calc?

Did anyone else who's done this use actual or 90% 1rm to calc?

Can't remember but you're better off erring on the side of the lower. Not sure if it was 90% or somewhere in between but it was a touch lower than max anyway.

I should probably readjust all right
    Ta

Turns out I was probably having crap workouts because I got knocked out with a bad cold/flu the last week. I say flu but it wasn't long enough but literally couldn't even sit up on the couch for tv

Anyway!
    Feeling normal again today and thursday is workout day so it all came together
    Original plan for today (adjusted down 1rm calc for squat) was:
    Squat 67.5 10x3, bench 42.5 10x3

Reality was:
    Warmups
    +
    Single leg rdl
    20 x8 per leg

Toe Squat
    20 x5
    30 x5
    40 x3

Squat
    50 x2
    60 x2
    67.5 2x3
    62.5 5x3
    -the 67s were bad and it didn't help I was stopping at the bottom. durr
    +knees did not buckle even though all the 62s were a slow slow grind
    +did not gm anything. Paid super attention to form today & braced every rep

Bench
    20 x8
    30 x5
    35 x3
    42.5 5x3
    Weight was manageable but my wrist was in a lot of pain since my first squat rep and getting worse despite the wraps. Decided to call it after 5

Purple Dips x10
    cos I can. and it was easy

So overall it wasn't great compared to what I should have done but considering the state I was in that was actually pretty decent. I should note the whole thing took an hour hahaha.
    I'll go ahead with day 2 on saturday and see what happens
    with ibuprofen

Well ... this weekend was full of sleep gainz
    I think I got 14 hours on saturday. I was very tired. No gym!
    Decided I've missed too many sessions for sj to make sense & the group are starting the new peaking prog so I'mma just jump in on that
    Without further ado

Single leg RDL
    20 x8 el

Toe Squat
    20 x5
    30 x5
    40 x3

Squat
    50 x2
    60 x2
    65 x1
    ##belt##
    70 x2
    75 x2
    80 x1 because I couldn't find 1.25s to make up 77.5. Where are they even gone. Also this squat turned into a paused squat by accident because apparently I decided sitting at the bottom of 80kg was a good time to stop and have a think :confused:
    70 2x2
    grand, bit slower
    My opener for cork is currently registered at 75. Maybe I should revise that upwards

HB squats
    20 x3
    30 x3
    40 2x3 Paused
    Supposed to be rpe 8. Everything was rpe 8 at that stage

Bench
    20 x8
    30 x5
    35 6x6

RDL
    20 x8

DL
    60 x3
    80 x2
    90 3x2

What's a deadlift

Everything was mad easy
    Maybe it was all the sleep. It's definitely not the food cos I'm down 1.5 kg
    Sleep++;

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

One leg RDL? As in you balance on one leg or rest on a bench?

• Advertisement

Balance on one leg
    like this guy except maybe not so far down
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iBAsvWRnEQ
    good glute activation warmup as well as banded crab walks

Bench
    20 x8
    30 x5
    40 x3 because I forgot about 35
    45 x1
    50 x1 (PR: +2.5)
    As I mentioned in the other thread, I decided to pretend this was only 45kg and I'd done it loads before. Easiest PR ever. No video as part of the covert ops approach
    45 3x3
    40 3x2

3s pause bench
    40 2x3
    Supposed to be RPE8. Was probably more like RPE9. too lazy to change weight

RDL
    20 x8
    DL
    60 x3
    70 x 4,3,3

MSR
    28 3x12
    DB skulls
    6 2x10

Still avoiding cardio and probably will until after cork, even though I miss it. Still under the weather so safer that way.
    Weight down to 80.5. In the sub-84 group so will stick with this then spend 2 days before cork stuffing my face

Single leg RDL

20 x8 el

Toe Squat
    20 x5
    30 x5
    40 x3

Squat
    50 x2
    60 x2
    65 x1
    *belt*******
    70 x1
    75 x1
    80 x1
    85 x1 (+2.5 PR)
    90 x1 (+7.5 PR)

85 was actually grand iirc. The 90 was desperate.
    Looking at the video I spent at least 30s psyching myself up and stepping around before starting. Terrible old habit. Need to remember NOT TO DO THAT.
    It was very slow and very grindy.
    Video is in usual place.
    Where does that leave me with openers? I have no idea. I might go 82.5.

80 x1
    After those PRs I nearly didn't get up outta that one, I'd say it was slower than the 90.

As a note to self on time: that all took 45mins+. So I need a lot of warm up time on the Sunday

HB Pause Squat
    45 3x3

Comp Bench with pauses
    20 x8
    30 x5
    40 4x4

RDL
    20 x8
    DL
    60 x3
    80 x2
    90 1x3 - with belt because I was tired

Assisted dips
    2x8

• Registered Users Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Ah Jaysus that is some PR-ing. Looked good to my untrained eye, especially for such a hefty PR.

I don't know how you rack up them squat PRs especially after being sick & everything... some serious gainz happening there. Must be the protein powder :D

I trained in a different club today. They have been inviting me along for a while and I kept meaning to, finally made it happen today. They are just so lovely! Well I think any lifting clubs probably are haha

Bench
    20 x8
    30 x5
    35 x3
    40 x2
    45 x1
    52.5 3x1 comp pause
    Yes, that's a +2.5kg PR and I did it 3 times easily...
    Got a video & spot this time :) They did commands as well. "not a james hanley pause though" as they put it :pac:
    That's bench attempt #2 for next week sorted

45 x2

3s pause bench
    40 2x3

RDL
    20 x8
    Comp DL
    60 x3
    72.5 x2
    85 2x3

Possibly not a James Hanley pause but they only pause til the bar is still...and the ease that the bar goes up! 2nd attempt?

Yeah gonna go 47.5/52.5/?? I reckon
    I think after cork imma go back to more months of assistance work :D

I can't say how it feels and I've only seen the 52.5 single so I don't know if doubles or triples would necessarily have been on the cards.

But that did look like comfortable triple territory. From that point of view, the bold move would be 50/55/?

But I know from experience when it's uncharted territory it can be better to be a bit more sensible and equalling the comp PR is still good going.

So you're probably right to go 47.5/52.5/?

Yeah after my experiences with 50 in comp I'm gonna stick with a weight i know i can do in my sleep. Plus I didn't precede the benching with heavy squats yesterday like I will next week so that's something to consider.
    Sure I'll see tomorrow when we do openers. If i do 50 with a longer pause after the squat openers i might go for it

• Advertisement

Yeah after my experiences with 50 in comp I'm gonna stick with a weight i know i can do in my sleep. Plus I didn't precede the benching with heavy squats yesterday like I will next week so that's something to consider.
    Sure I'll see tomorrow when we do openers. If i do 50 with a longer pause after the squat openers i might go for it

Have had that same discussion in my own head for weeks so I know what you mean.

Even with the safer bet, you're putting on a big comp PR on your 2nd in the knowledge you've already done it

Advertisement