Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I come too

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Say if i were doing it any longer I'd break a shoulder or something!! So far so good. I think i should be rolling more though. I thought i wouldn't have been able to manage any accessory work after week1 but it was okay. Pretty tired.
    Being under the bar that often at that intensity is forcing me to brace every rep, learned how to tighten upper back a bit better, and try control the bar path better so hopefully i won't end up with it halfway up my collarbone trying a pr like in may

Well I drove to the gym on Sunday to do the final session except I didnt because the roads were closed. Asked the guard about the detour but it would have been the very very long way around. Was tired so took it as a sign.
    Not tired today!

Bench
    20 x8
    30 x5
    35 x3
    40 x2
    45 x1
    50 x1
    55 5x3 -> reps PR
    52.5 3x3

Actual program plan was: 10x3 @ 50 or 52.5
    fuk da poleec

I put up set 3. Watching it back it looks easier than it was. ha.
    Actual bench 55kg 1rm was from late July.
    Symm strength is estimating my 1rm at 60 now. I wish. I WANT 60

Xtrainer
    15 mins / 2.5km

DELOAD COMMENCE
    i actually have an insane amount of study to do so deload might be no gym or cardio only

Was pretty ded between stress and all so as predicted, no exercise

Today
    Bench
    20 x8
    30 x5
    40 x3
    47.5 x2
    52.5 x1
    57.5 x1 = +2.5kg PR
    Video was the worst angle ever so not putting it anywhere. It looked easier than it felt. Set up with my new tighter than ever back and retracted scaps once I had the bar in hand. Solid but a bit of a struggle yet. I'd say 60 is in there. Will attempt next month.
    i should be cheering tbh - I failed the stupid thing twice in august! I'd say I'll be cheering tomorrow when I wake up haha. That's +10kg this year so far like.
    45 x3
    40 2x3

SL RDL
    20 x8
    Toe squat
    20 x5
    30 x5
    40 x3
    Squat
    50 3x5
    Went as low as possible. Felt like i was nearly sitting on the ground. Recorded the 3rd set. i was not nearly sitting on the ground.
    Deep enough tho

Treadmill
    intervals n sh!t

Still cutting back the weight gain from the last month - mostly gone thankfully

SL RDL
    20 x8
    Toe squat
    20 x5
    30 x5
    40 x3
    Squat
    50 x2
    57.5 x1
    belt
    65 3x5

squats can fcuk off and die

Bench
    20 x8
    30 x5
    35 x2
    1+3 Bench
    40 4x5

so can bench

RDL
    20 x8
    DL conv
    60 x3
    80 x2
    belt
    100 3x3

especially deadlifts

Lat PD
    28 4x12

No cardio but I'm on 14k+ steps today anyway so whatever

Too tired to cope with today starting with nearly sleeping in this morning. Did not complete any sets I intended to. Deadlifts were easy enough but I was too tired to go on. Weh weh weh
    Got a letter from the hospital about my upcoming stay and confirming date etc
    ok sleep now

Haha I was so moany in my last post and today is like EVERYTHING IS GREAT

Study went super well today got like 6-7 solid hours done AND I didn't even fall asleep once so I decided I would make it to the gym after all. Program: arsing around

Shoulder dislocates & scaps
    Bench
    20 x8
    30 x5
    40 x3
    45 x2
    50 x1
    55 x1
    60 x1 (+2.5 PR) holy ****

35 3x8
    jelly arms

RDL
    20 x8
    Sumo
    60 x3
    80 3x5

Skulls & flyes
    6 3x10

Xtrainer
    29 min / 4.7km
    I just couldn't push it for the round 5km :P

Well I've been harping on about 60kg forever and today I was like let's work up and see what happens. I was struggling and halfway up I was literally about a hair away from failing/giving up then I said NO I'M NOT ROLLING THIS FCUKING THING GO GO GO and pulled everything and got it up.
    It's hard to believe I was still stuck on 47.5 at the start of this year!

So my mission now is to solidify it into an opener for November. I think that will mean no more PRs or at least reps PRs only.
    Booked in with hanley for while i'm on hols also. My technique could have gone totally to **** on my squat & DL and I wouldn't have a clue.

I will crawl my way into Nationals! this century!! :P
    :D:D:D

Exam is wednesday week so gym sessions will happen but mostly as stress relief

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,591 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If 6+ hours of study on a Sunday isnt a PR, I dont even

Oh and well done on the bench PR :D

IhavenoideawhatI'mdoing.jpg

SL RDL
    20 x8
    Toe sq
    20 x5
    30 x5
    40 x3
    LB Squat
    50 x2
    60 x2
    belt
    70 x1
    75 x1
    80 5x2

Bench
    20 x8
    30 x5
    40 6x6

Treadmill
    intervals

Place was like a madhouse, no hope of getting near the MSR
    Squats were heavier than I would think they should be. No chance of triples

• Registered Users Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭caviardreams

bluewolf wrote: »

Place was like a madhouse, no hope of getting near the MSR

That and the cable seated row seem to be beyond popular! :mad::( I find a good alternative is to sub in some TRX rows or even a few dumbell rows or.... nothing :D:D

I've never seen a cable seated row at my gym. I'd be all over it if there was, the one I tried on hols was great.
    Yeah I was tired enough anyway soooo :D

• Advertisement

Bench
    20 x8
    30 x5
    40 x3
    45 x1
    50 x1
    55 2x1

haha super easy yesss
    look at me casually benching 55kg

1+3 Bench
    42.5 6x5
    my core was definitely carrying rep 5 of each set

RDL
    20 x8
    DL conv
    60 x3
    90 5x5
    Sumo
    90 2x5

program said 7x5. It was either walk away or switch to sumo. lols
    Also I couldn't find any 10s so I just went from 60 to 90
    easy enough anyway. I'm not sure i've done 35 reps of deadlifts since January nevermind in one session. RIP bluewolf tomorrow

MSR
    28 3x12

Treadmill
    intervals up to 15kph this time

Exam is over but haven't had a chance to lift and am flying out on Saturday. Found a gym at my holiday destination so should be able to get back to it then.
    Joined basketball this evening and the amount of cardio involved is definitely worth logging however

11 10

Toe sq
    20 x5
    30 x5
    40 x3
    Sq
    50 x2
    60 x2
    65 x1
    70 x1
    Belt
    80 x 3x1
    Way too hard
    I suppose lunchtime in sweltering heat and fasted

Hb sq
    50 4x4

Bench
    20 x8
    30 x5
    40 x3
    45 x1
    50 3x3
    40 3x8
    Bench rack was too low or too high

Skulls and flyes
    6 2x10
    7.5 x10

Everything was way too hard. Like I said combo of lack of food and heat (i think it's 30c) and such a break from training. No ac in gym.
    Will try get back again at least once more this week or I'll be scuppered for November

13 10
    Bench
    20 x8
    30 x5
    40 x3
    45 x1
    50 x1
    55 2x1
    1+3 bench
    45 3x5
    Switched to just 1s pause x5
    Switched to 40 2x5

Rdl
    20x8
    Dl conv
    60 x3
    80 x2
    90 x1
    100 5x3

Found a cable machine row
    15-20 kg. For some reps

Thought my leg doms from weds was the worst. Til i started benching. Them flyes did a number on me

Update 1
    Got the sleep study done. I have apnea type issues but under the frequency threshhold so it's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_airway_resistance_syndrome she said.
    Going back again for a cpap and then a trial run of the cpap
    http://www.alaskasleep.com/blog/uars-vs-osa-the-difference-between-upper-airway-resistance-syndrome-and-obstructive-sleep-

Update 2
    Did day 1 peaking with hanley.
    Squats started off as a disaster. Holy moly. I nearly crumbled under 50!
    Then I got it together
    I didn't write it down but roughly what we did was:
    LB squat
    80kg x3
    85kg x2
    90kg x1
    80kg 2x2

HB squat
    50kg 4x3

Bench
    35kg 6x6 (I think it was 35)

DL
    80kg 3x2

"What rpe did that feel like"
    "duno"
    "..."
    "..."
    "learn RPE pls"

My squat form that i was freaking out about is due to lack of upper back tension on the way DOWN. Now alf's posts suddenly make sense.
    Also I think my LB was higher than usual today I was a bit all over the place.
    Ahhhh jelly legs

Openers saturday week :eek::eek::eek:

Update 1
    Got the sleep study done. I have apnea type issues but under the frequency threshhold so it's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_airway_resistance_syndrome she said.
    Going back again for a cpap and then a trial run of the cpap

Read that as 'crap' and had a chuckle until it made sense at the end...
    My squat form that i was freaking out about is due to lack of upper back tension on the way DOWN. Now alf's posts suddenly make sense.

Nice to know that after all this time that my posts finally make sense.

You were getting pushed over and then having to good morning it up?

Yeah well the gm bit was thanks to my hips and no amount of hanley shouting to move them was working. But i was being pushed over yeah.

Ah holidays, 2.5hour nap there

Yeah well the gm bit was thanks to my hips and no amount of hanley shouting to move them was working. But i was being pushed over yeah.

Ah holidays, 2.5hour nap there

Hard to move your hips when your upper body is being pushed over.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have gone today if squats were on the menu. hobble hobble

Bench
    20 x8
    30 x5
    40 x3
    45 x1
    50 x1
    55 x1 with closer to a competition pause though looking back on the video it's not paused enough I think
    50 3x2 also stops
    45 3x2

3s pause bench
    40 2x3

RDL
    20 x8
    DL
    60 x3
    70 3x3
    forgot my chalk but thankfully didn't need it

MSR
    28 3x12

Didn't feel like cardio so didn't do any. Though I got some when I got home and the dog decided to escape when I came in and went for a chase :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

55 x1 with closer to a competition pause though looking back on the video it's not paused enough I think

Maybe not a hanley pause, but considering how easy it looked, it's not far off

• Advertisement

Will lengthen them next time.
    i have to say the pauses he was calling on wednesday were very short! :D

The pause is only til the bar has stopped moving because you have it under control. That can be a very short pause or it can be long.

The length of the pause was long enough but it may have still been moving. Thats not a strength issue, per se. Just one of paying attention to that element because there's no doubt that it was relatively comfortable off the chest!

I'm seem to do it on my openers!

my shift keys are broken and i cba hitting caps.
    so.

rdl
    20 x8
    dl conventional
    70 x3 where r 20s
    80 x2
    90 x1
    100 x1
    110 x2
    117.5 x1 supposed to be a double haha no
    122.5 x1 tough
    125 x1 way too hard :mad: look at the big roundy back on me in the video :mad:

block pulls
    70 4x3

bench
    20 x8
    40 x3
    47.5 5x3

toe sq
    20 x5
    30 x5
    40 x3
    squat
    50 x2
    belt
    60 2x3

think my belt is too loose now - gonna tighten it a notch.
    everything can go die in a fire. hmph

Toe sq
    20 x5
    30 x5
    40 x3
    Squat
    50 x2
    60 x2
    belt
    70 x1
    75 x1
    80 x1
    85 x1

grand. kept chest up. not sure about upper back tightness yet but i think the chest thing helped

Bench
    20 x8
    30 x5
    35 x3
    40 x2
    45 x1
    50 x1

competition pause spot on. i was so impressed with myself looking back on the video :pac:

skipped deadlifts because yesterday was enough

Xtrainer
    28 min / 4km
    nice and easy. Was only planning 10 mins or so but i do love the xtrainer

Sat in the car for about 10-15 mins talking myself into going in :P

Toe Squat
    20 x5
    30 x5
    can't do 40 wer r 10s

Squat
    50 x2
    60 x2
    70 x1
    75 x1
    82.5 x1 started getting heavy here - remembered chest up & hips under - went REALLY well
    90 x1
    97.5 2x1
    First 97.5: remembered technique etc, was actually grand, slow & grindy but as hanley reminded me last week, it's ok to grind for reps stop freaking out (eta: looking at the video again it looks grand actually... better than i remembered. plus depth!!)
    Second 97.5: i forgot EVERYTHING about technique, sank like a stone, had a heart attack, mostly GM'd it back up. ffs
    supposed to be 3x1 but after that it was time to move on

80 x2 grindy

HB squat
    52.5 3x3

Comp bench
    20 x8
    30 x5
    40 4x6
    Feeling SUPER strong on these ... when i remember to retract scaps before starting the lift anyway. As long as i remember to retract & brace after the start command, should be golden

RDL
    20 x8
    Deadlift
    70 x3
    85 x2
    105 2x1

jesus h christ the last thing i wanted to do at 22:15 after > 60 mins of heavy stuff was deadlift. hip was at me again, heavy deadlifts last week set it off again. whatevs. got it done

I really secretly want a 300kg total next week.
    Every single lift would have to be in perfect condition to manage it and hit all my gym PRs plus a new deadlift PR to manage ... but maybe
    More interested in getting 100+ squat in comp and 60 bench

My fitbit said my session yesterday burned 500 cals - way more than any of my weights sessions ever do, nearly double. I guess heavy squats are as hard as they feel :P

today:
    bench
    20 x8
    30 x5
    40 x3
    47.5 x1
    52.5 x1
    57.5 x1
    Holy sh1t my left arm completely stopped working on this one. Like not even in a 'this is a bit heavy' way but a 'fcuk this and fcuk you too i'm outta here' kinda way. My poor right arm had to do most of the work while i tried getting the left to respond. I have no idea how I didn't fail the rep. sheer stubbornness

52.5 x2

At this point a guy came over to say he'd learned recently a tip of keeping your knuckles pointed at the ceiling as it helps loads and he was lifting less than the other lads in there because he was dropping the weight to try it out. I tried it on the next set and it did. Maybe that's something obvious i should have been doing the whole time, i guess i was focusing on scaps since that's the latest thing i learned.
    In retrospect he almost certainly must have seen me nearly commit suicide by bench on the 57.5 and was trying the diplomatic route... I think he must have hinted at dropping the weight about 5 times

3s pause bench
    45 2x3

RDL
    20 x8
    DL conv
    70 x2
    85 x1
    105 2x2

Was supposed to be 4x2... well actually the heavier deadlifts were actually day 3, but i have basketball tomorrow and i'm resting friday for openers on saturday, so i threw them in tonight. my lower back is really worn out

Left elbow is still funny ... will roll and poke it

Today was openers
    Today I am exhausted and everything is terrible

Openers

Toe sq
    20 x5 x
    30 x5 x
    40 x3 x
    Sq
    50 x3 x
    60 x2 x
    Belt
    70 x1 x
    77.5 x1 x
    85 x1 x
    90x1 x
    92.5.x1
    Open? 92.5 or 90

Bench
    20 x8 x
    30 x5 x
    35 x3 x
    40 x3 x
    45 x1 x
    50 x2 x 2nd w commands, easy, hips down tho
    55 x1 x opener! V easy

Rdl
    20x8 x
    Dl conv
    60 x3 x
    80 x2 x
    90 x1 x
    100 x1 x
    115 x1 x
    Maybe open 110 :(

Luke said i could go 110-120-130 but I'd rather open 115. It was hard today but they're all hard. Plus i was expecting to do another weight before the 115 was called

Squat they wrote 90 but I think 92.5. It was slow but they're all slow and still fine.
    Bench there was talk of opening higher as 55 was so easy but I'll go 55-60-60
    Food now

PS i didn't think i had an arch, but the girls took a photo and i actually do when im not in a drapey tshirt. Awesome

I wouldn't stary heavier on your openers of the 3rd lift is going to be the same, ie better to go 110-120-130 than 115-122.5-130 purely because you'll expend more energy than you need to.

I'd ideally like a chance at even a token pr of 132.5
    Give me some hope of getting near a 300 total though based on today it seems unlikely :mad:

• Advertisement

I'd ideally like a chance at even a token pr of 132.5
    Give me some hope of getting near a 300 total though based on today it seems unlikely :mad:

I was having the very same conversation with myself this morning but i came to the conclusion would be to take a couple of PRs, edge up the total and get the number i wanted next time when I'll know i have the numbers in me.

Advertisement