Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I come too

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

bluewolf wrote: »
    I think this is mine
    https://www.strengthshop.ie/belts/strengthshop-10mm-lever-belt.html
    takes some breaking in. easy to adjust to make it looser or tighter. make sure to get an apt size.
    I was looking at that one (in pink!) but its 4" width puts me off, and lever closure too. My waist is much smaller in the mornings, I'm afraid it'd be too tight if I go to train in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,591 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

j@utis wrote: »
    I was looking at that one (in pink!) but its 4" width puts me off, and lever closure too. My waist is much smaller in the mornings, I'm afraid it'd be too tight if I go to train in the evening.

Adjust it based on the evening fitting. It shouldn't be too tight anyway. If it's too tight it makes it harder to brace against properly.

Alternatively, get the double prong version and adjusting is straightforward.

I used to tighter on the velcro belt because it was softer and gave way a lot more so it made sense to have it tighter. The stiffer 10mm belt won't be on as tight as the velcro belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Yup I have a double prong - I usually squat at the weekend in the morning but occasionally if I do squats on a friday evening instead I would sometimes have it a notch looser alright though not always, so the double prong is handy from that perspective I guess. You really don't notice the 4" after a few wears, and you can even roll the leather back and forth a bit to loosen it up/break it in before first wearing it if you do find it very hard/uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

27 04

Bench
    20 x8
    30 x5
    40 x3
    45 4x4

Floor Press
    20 x5
    37.5 3x6

Rdl
    20 x8
    Pause Deadlift
    70 x 1
    80 5x4

Barbell Row
    22.5 5x8

29 04
    Sl dl
    20 x8
    Squat
    20 x5
    30 x3
    50 x1
    60 x1
    70 x1
    Program
    5x3 85%
    Me
    80 3, 2, 3, 2, 3

High Bar Pause Squat
    57.5 x 5, 3, 3

Dips 4x1/fail
    Couldn't find bands had to do negatives
    8 negatives, a few quarter reps, gave up

Lat Pulldowns
    35 x 5
    28 x 12, 12, 10

17 min Xtrainer

Just tired again but I'm FREEEEEE
    monart tomorrow :D

• Advertisement

02 05
    Rdl
    20 x8

Deadlift
    60 x3
    80x2
    90 3x4

Block Pull
    50 2x6

Box Squat
    20 x3
    30 2x6

Close Grip Bench Press
    30 2x8

30 mins Xtrainer

Deloaaaad! What perfect timing after all my relaxing!
    Apart from the deep tissue massage that was more crying than relaxing
    "do you do a lot of sports, your itb is very tight"
    Yes all the sports none of the foam rolling
    I definitely met my match there, had to ask her to ease up on my lowrr back.
    Also i ate ALL the things. All of them. They made me the biggest fluffiest tastiest gf pancakes this morning. Himself was v jealous

35 mins Xtrainer

04 05

Bench
    20 x8
    30 x5
    40 2x4 75%

Floor Press
    20 x5
    30 2x6 6 RPE

DB Row
    8 2x8 e/s
    6 RPE

Pause Deadlift
    70 3x4
    6 RPE

Barbell Row
    20 3x8
    6 RPE

30 mins walk treadmill

Deloaaaad
    Said I'd do some cycling thing tomorrow in the gym. I might die

That's 3 days in a row with tdee 2800+. Gona try keep it up for the weekend also

Said I'd do some cycling thing tomorrow in the gym. I might die

:D:D You never know you might like it! Spinning is good fun, honest :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

:D:D You never know you might like it! Spinning is good fun, honest :pac:

Spinning is only fun if you truly hate yourself

• Advertisement

I'm gona have to agree with dtp haha.
    Ah no i was impressed with the screen. I did the "les mills: the trip" thing which has a massive surround screen and cycle tracks on different areas like grassy mountains and scifi cities and all that. Like all those games i play but irl :pac:
    I was absolutely **** at the standing cycling bits so there's a goal.
    Will go again next week for sure
    I used to think i was a bit fit 😢

I did spinning in a few different places but the best by far was where they had the digital screen showing the level of resistance and the cadence.

The instructor plated really good music that matched the tempo he wanted you to cycle at and he'd tell you a range of resistance to be in and the cadence you should be at.

The others just had euro-dance as an accompaniment and they'd tell you to do a quarter turn of the resistance up or down. Which was a just boring. Still tough but boring

Oh, oh, oh I really wanna try The Trip but my gym doesn't do it :( Just RPM which is grand but no fancy "immersive" stuff - but the cadence changes to match the music etc. so that bit is probably similar.

Completely agree that the monitors on the bike showing RPM and resistance help so much - without the goal of trying to maintain your rpm over 100 or whatever my motivation would probably go out the window halfway through a segment! I like it because you can literally switch your brain off for 45 mins or whatever and just follow directions which is nice sometimes :D

06 05

Squat
    20 x5
    40 x3
    50 x 1
    60 x1
    72.5 kg 3x3 75%

High Bar Pause Squat
    40kg 3x5
    6 RPE

Dips 2x6 6 RPE
    Purple band!!

Dl
    60 x3
    90 x2
    110 x1
    117.5 x1 okay
    125 x1
    132.5 lolno. Tried for like half a s but wasn't feeling it and gave up. I never pr outside of comps anyway. Must be the caffeine and sweets and shouting and buzz haha.
    Not that that would have been a pr but whatever

Lat Pulldowns 2x6
    6 RPE 28kg

Apparently all that burned more than 2x the amount i did in spinning. Explains why I'm usually at lowest weight and highest intake around comp time i guess
    I'll just have to lift all the time ha.

Stayed up til 4am playing witcher 3 and eating aldi pringles. Good times

Oh yeah and my deadlift was fine on my back. Leaned over the bar a bit more. 100% in the glute area and not back. I suspect it was just knots in my back giving me issues.
    Anytime i complain in here in the future about any kind of pain anywhere just tell me I'm not rolling enough and stfu

Oh yeah and my deadlift was fine on my back

I read in a magazine that deadlifting is bad for your back though so it must be true.

#iseenitinamagazeen

Today was a momentous day. I used a cable machine for the first time
    Hahaha

09 05

Toe sq
    20 x5
    40 x3
    50 x1
    Squat
    60 x1
    70 x1
    Belt
    Program: 80 4x3
    Reality: 3, 2, 2, 2

So today's homework was to correct my awful heels coming off the floor from last time. I didn't post that video (because i looked like michelin man with my belt and that top) but coach was like HEELS HEELS HEELS. Knees were going in a bit also.
    Today: if i hadn't watched the first set back i would have 100% sworn my heels did not leave the ground. They did leave the ground. Not as badly as last time. Dropped back reps and focused on it. Recorded set 3 also and i think it was a bit better.
    Set 1 is the one i posted there

Bench
    20 x8
    30 x5
    40 x3
    47.5 4x4

Barbell Row
    25 4x6 - 8
    8 RPE
    6, 6,6

Face-pull 4x12
    9 RPE

9kg baby weight to start
    12, 12, 12, 12
    18kg for a few more sets

I basically did not have a clue what i was doing with a cable machine and the 9 million attachments. I gave it a go but felt it wasn't quitw right.
    Nabbed one of the gym staff and was like i have no idea what i am doing please help dot jpg
    So she picked up a different attachment and we worked on it a bit pulling it to different heights (that was the 18kg sets) and HOLY MOLY MY BACK. best back exercise ever. I understand why those machines are so popular now. This is very exciting. Face pulls are the future!!!
    We ended up with standing straight and pulling it to my forehead

So that finished well!

Omar Isuf has a good Face Pulls video I found
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSoHeSjvIdY

I do get a bit confused over whether it is better to retract your shoulders back first and then start the movement (probably uses the rear delts more maybe?) or whether to do the shoulder retraction as part of the movement iykwim - that probably hits the back more maybe?

I actually find doing them kneeling on one knee works well.

Super cool video from Omar, I have review my face pull form (I just realized I was missing the external rotation part), I do a lot of them - there isn't many exercises for the rear of the shoulder to choose from - so I better do it right.

Yeah that's the exact one i did! It's so awesome.
    I have no idea if shoulders back was before or after.

Felt like crap on friday, woke up even worse on saturday. luckily 12 hours sleep, a lot of lemsip max and carbs sorted me out. i have no idea what was going on

so here's day 2 and day 3 muddled together in one session which took 1h 19m excl cardio:

Bench
    20 x8
    30 x5

40 x1 7 rpe supposed to be
    45 4x5
    35 2x5

rdl
    20 x8
    Deadlift
    60 x3
    80 x2
    100 x1
    110 x1

120 x1 supposed to be 7 rpe. i have no idea if it was. 'like an easy opener' - sure.

110 10 x1
    https://c7.alamy.com/comp/GBA169/young-woman-shoots-herself-in-the-head-with-finger-gun-gesture-GBA169.jpg

90 1x6
    supposed to be 3x2 but eh
    too lazy

Toe squat
    20 x5
    40 x2
    Squat
    50 x1
    65 x1
    80 x1
    note i left here was: 'do this and see if it's 7 rpe. ... yeah, good enough'
    again if anyone wants to tell me if it looked like 7 that would be fab

70 x 3,1
    supposed to be 2x5 but i nearly didn't get back up again

MSR
    28 3x12

Treadmill
    32 min walk @ 6.5 kph

Very pleased the only thing i cut short was the squats.
    You've no idea how much i wanted to drop the weight or the sets on the DLs

I think eating an entire tube of aldi pringles over yesterday/today helped
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Both squat and deadlift looked to be roughly a 7 to me anyway.

Deadlift about right at a 7. Squat definitely wasn't any more than a 7. Probably slightly lower, tbh

It's so funny how they can look easier than they felt. Thanks guys <3
    Hopefully my actual opener in 8 wks will be higher than 80!!

Sometimes having someone record your lifts - especially 2nd lifts - can help you with your third. I remember a 2nd squat at ABS Open last August, it felt slow but looked smooth. So went ahead with planned 3rd and nailed it. On my own and without the video, I'd have dropped it.

RPE does take time to get used to though and you have to be very objective. It's easy to get caught up in trying to be progressive with respect to previous week's numbers but once you accept that some weeks it feels like you've stalled and some weeks you make a bigger jump than expected but overall you progress...then you get the value from it

:eek: How many times have you competed so far? You sound much like a real pro!

j@utis wrote: »
    :eek: How many times have you competed so far? You sound much like a real pro!

Aw man I'm a total noob haha.
    I think it's 3 or 4 now? Probably 4 actually. I think it's been 2 a year
    My opener in November was like... 90? So that's why i was joking it better be higher than 80

Reading this back is hilarious
    Revfit open today Nov 2017

What a day...
    Well, I stayed sick, didn't train this week, decided I would just show up and pull out pending warmups if I had to
    Openers: the guys decided on 90-55-110 last week but I stubbornly called 92.5-55-115, with a self-promise I would drop them before the 3min time limit if warmups went badly.

Reading this back is hilarious

Second last warm up was @9.

"I'll open on 95 please and thanks"

SLDL
    20 x8
    Toe sq
    20 x5
    40 x3
    Squat
    50 x1
    65 x1
    75 x1
    82.5 x1
    90 3x2+1
    jaysus lads. things i was not expecting to happen today. '90kg for 2 reps haha not a chance' and then i did it 3 times
    did my usual big pep talk. turned out easier than i expected?? still laughing at me nodding away to myself between the reps in the video. i think set 2 was even faster than set 1. i totally chickened out on the very last rep. i was getting a bit tired then anyway

My back is still losing tightness somewhere somehow. i pulled my shoulders together so hard i've a big mark in the middle of my back now :rolleyes: and i still got leaned over on the way up. raaar
    i have gone whingeing to coach about it now anyway. 'FIX MEEEEE'
    heels were mostly staying down :cool::cool:

Bench
    20 x8
    30 x5
    40 5x5

FACEPULLS ARE THE FUTURE
    14 x12
    18 2x12

i wasn't quite as good at these as i was last week. i should chase the girl to show me again lol

skipped rows cos time and i don't really care about them anyway

xtrainer
    10 mins fast

boom

• Advertisement

My back is still losing tightness somewhere somehow. i pulled my shoulders together so hard i've a big mark in the middle of my back now :rolleyes: and i still got leaned over on the way up. raaar

Think about actively pushing back into the bar so that you're pushing against the bar trying to get out of that nice up-and-down bar path.

It's a small thing but works well

Advertisement