Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I come too

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

bluewolf wrote: »
    I saw my favourite bench was parked off in a corner. Told the guy after they can't get rid of it because it's my favourite bench. He promised the new ones are even better. Hopefully... I can't really use a couple of the current ones because they are high and wide so i cant really get my feet flat.
    They replaced the benches in our gym about half year ago. I still hate the new ones because they're about 1-2" lower and my ar$e loses the contact with the bench more often than it should. I sometimes shove a 5kg plate under the back leg to raise it up a bit. It's amazing how very small, subtle changes in equipment can affect the feel of the lift so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

j@utis wrote: »
    They replaced the benches in our gym about half year ago. I still hate the new ones because they're about 1-2" lower and my ar$e loses the contact with the bench more often than it should. I sometimes shove a 5kg plate under the back leg to raise it up a bit. It's amazing how very small, subtle changes in equipment can affect the feel of the lift so much.

Completely get where you're coming from; I used to split my training between UL and Citygym but now train almost exclusively in Citygym where circumstances allow. One of the reasons (of a number, Citygym is awesome) was the difference in benches. In Citygym I'm training pretty much exclusively on Comp benches whereas in UL, the benches are all different and are too high or wide and a lot softer than a comp bench also so was hard to get consistency. It sounds like a small thing but can really make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,591 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Completely get where you're coming from; I used to split my training between UL and Citygym but now train almost exclusively in Citygym where circumstances allow. One of the reasons (of a number, Citygym is awesome) was the difference in benches. In Citygym I'm training pretty much exclusively on Comp benches whereas in UL, the benches are all different and are too high or wide and a lot softer than a comp bench also so was hard to get consistency. It sounds like a small thing but can really make a difference.

I don't mind using different benches cos I rarely get to train on comp benches and I don't like to get used to just the one type of bench so that when I'm at a comp, the fact the bench feels different won't throw me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I don't mind using different benches cos I rarely get to train on comp benches and I don't like to get used to just the one type of bench so that when I'm at a comp, the fact the bench feels different won't throw me.

The other contributing factor is the benches in UL are kind of awful. There’s one decent one but then there’s one that’s so high and wide I can’t plant my feet on the ground and another that’s the exact opposite and also so narrow that most of my back isn’t actually on a bench.

Also I’ve kind of been spoilt with Citygym!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Road trip to citygym! :pac:

Today:
    Soccer \o/
    I defended a couple goals and got better at tackling and passing but still can't shoot if my life depended on it. I also managed to belt 3 girls with the ball in the face or close when trying to kick it somewhere else 🙈

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

sl rdl
    20 x8
    Squat
    20 x5
    40 x2
    50 x1
    65 x1
    75 x1
    82.5 x1

90 x1
    85 3x3

Focused really hard on my heels but they still came up :rolleyes:
    90 was fine anyway, bit of a sticking point but otherwise grand.
    do you guys know that video with klokov. where he punches a guy in the face when he has bad form. someone should do that with me. except for do it when my heels go up

Bench
    20 x8
    30 x5
    40 x2
    47.5 4x4

also grand which i did not expect as benchin has been difficult lately

25 mins xtrainer

- gym being renovated again so ALL the accessory stuff was packed up. place was a madhouse as i went a bit earlier than usual. i had to wait like 1 min for a rack. terrible. haha
    - they took out all 5 benches and put in 2 flat ones, 1 incline one that doesn't seem to go flat, and a decline one. HOW IS THAT AN IMPROVEMENT OMG.
    i had to wander round like a lost puppy asking how many sets do you have left
    i asked the nice pt lady but she said no more benches coming, and then some stuff about new equipment. so maybe there will be?
    ALSO. the new benches have only 2 bar height settings. too low and too high. the old ones had multiple adjustable heights. raaaar

The Klokov thing...was that where he was trying to stop someone falling forward on a jerk or something? And he punched and they fell forward again...

Vaguely remember it but search shows nothing

• Advertisement

Hahahahahahahahahaha

15 06

Bench - Comp 1x1 8 RPE
    4x2 -5%

20 x8
    30 x5
    35 x3
    40 x2
    45 x1

52.5 x1 easy

47.5 4x2

Deadlift - Comp 1x1 8 RPE
    10x1 -5%

Rdl
    20 x8
    Conv dl
    60 x3
    80x2
    100 x1
    110 x1
    120 x1
    Grand but no heavier. No idea what rpe it is

110 10x1 EMOM
    Because emom was the only way i was getting through that

Lat Pulldown *32
    8 RPE
    40kg 2x16

They changed all the machines. The lat pd is now way easier.
    There are microplates now!!! 😍

Very low gravity day. Maybe because I've put on another kg. Oops. Better drop that or it'll be the 84+ club next month at the open...

Microplates! Wow! What weights are they? We're getting Concept2 Skierg cardio machine, it's been installed today, very interesting.

What's this about "4x2 -5%"?

I saw one that was 0.25 anyway! I think theres 0.5 as well.

That's my program instructions and then what i actually did was underneath. Work up to rpe 8 then 4x2 at -5% under that weight

Oh i did - 10% hahhaa oops
    I am numbers good

Squat
    4x4 @ 7 rpe

20 x5
    40 x2
    50 x2
    65 x1
    80 4x4

Not sure if 7 but graaaaand. decided to take my own advice and do less of a warm up build up. worked well

Bench
    4x6 @ 77-79%

20 x8
    30 x5
    40 x6

Coach said my elbows are too flared out and i'll get better leverage keeping them tight and touching a bit lower down so i tried that out today

Deadlift, paused
    4x3 @ 7 rpe

70kg 4x3

went a bit light on these but at least i actually did them this time

xtrainer
    40 mins

today my pestering the gym staff involved 'is there any chance you can play less depressing music, it's usually really good' :o

looks like another big like on insta. am i famous now. lol

Eric isn't at Hani level but still more impressive than a like from me.

Squat set shown definitely looked no more than 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I see there’s a poster on boards called ‘can I come too’. Must get them to post here

Squat
    program: 1x1 @ 8 rpe, 3x3 @ 85-87%

20 x5
    40 x3
    50 x2
    65 x1
    80 x1 easy
    87.5 x1 easy
    95 x1 grand. i think it felt easier than it looked. was it an 8? maybe

85 3x3

Bench
    20 x8
    30 x5
    35 x2 why did i do this
    40 x3
    45 x0 why did i not do this
    50 2x2
    program was 4x4 but 50 was heavy and i was lazy

rows: nah
    facepulls: couldn't find the rope attachment so nah

Squats went super anyway!

My gym membership is up soon and the fee even with my student discount is +50% :mad::mad::mad:
    i really like the gym and i probably will renew... but i might try out another gym or two first.
    if they actually hadn't replaced the benches with a total of TWO crappy ones i wouldn't be so iffy about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I see there’s a poster on boards called ‘can I come too’. Must get them to post here

I noticed that before and initially thought bluey had rebranded! :) They should call their fitness log bluewolf :eek::eek:

Squat
    program: 1x1 @ 8 rpe, 3x3 @ 85-87%
    20 x5
    40 x3
    50 x2
    65 x1
    80 x1 easy
    87.5 x1 easy
    95 x1 grand. i think it felt easier than it looked. was it an 8? maybe
    <...>
    I find this amazing. You're squating 60, maybe 70kg something for months and months, and then one day walk in and 85 - BOOM! 95 - BOOM! out of nowhere. I can't get my head around it.

I find this amazing. You're squating 60, maybe 70kg something for months and months, and then one day walk in and 85 - BOOM! 95 - BOOM! out of nowhere. I can't get my head around it.

I much prefer peaking phases to volume ones :D
    It does sometimes feel like im stuck going nowhere on the lighter weights for ages.

Srsly hoping to beat my 1rm of 105 when we hit the July Open

You will! We believe in you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭caviardreams

+1 I am always amazed* when you're like "oh I was practically dying and unable to breathe for the last month so haven't squatted recently, so just went in and took it handy today and worked up to a heavy single of 95kg with a RPE of 4" :pac::pac: #squatlegend

If I go more than 5 days without squatting my entire body seems to forget how to do it and I practically have to restart from scratch with just the bar! :mad:

*by amazed I mean sick with jealousy obvs :o

+1 I am always amazed* when you're like "oh I was practically dying and unable to breathe for the last month so haven't squatted recently, so just went in and took it handy today and worked up to a heavy single of 95kg with a RPE of 4" :pac::pac: #squatlegend

If I go more than 5 days without squatting my entire body seems to forget how to do it and I practically have to restart from scratch with just the bar! :mad:

genuine lol :D:D:D

<...>

This is exactly how I feel! Squating definitely doesn't come natural to me. And if you put extra +15kg on the bar out of nowhere I'd be like what!? I get "my feet are going through the floor any second now" feeling, never mind attempting to squat with that.

*amazed = green with envy here...

22 06

Bench - Comp 1x1 8.5 RPE
    4x2 -5%

Bench
    20 x8
    30 x5
    40 x3
    45 x2
    50 x1
    55 x1