Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freedom of the City

Options
  • 25-03-2014 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭

So its going to President Michael D.Higgins for 2014 who seems a decent bloke.I think in future,the person must have some connection to Cork before the whole thing becomes a farce.

The vote should also be open to residents of Cork next time round.

I still cant believe that they forgot Denis Irwin when they gave it to Roy Keane in 2005.So,who do you think should get it?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

So its going to President Michael D.Higgins for 2014 who seems a decent bloke.I think in future,the person must have some connection to Cork before the whole thing becomes a farce.

The vote should also be open to residents of Cork next time round.

I still cant believe that they forgot Denis Irwin when they gave it to Roy Keane in 2005.So,who do you think should get it?.

I passed a one-man protest earlier outside the City Hall. He had a big banner complaining about "Labour luvvies getting the freedom of the city ahead of Cork people." or something like that. Personally, I'm not bothered who or how many get the Freedom of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

think tis a load of rubbish really but on the other hand if they do insist on it they should just keep it to locals or other corkanions.. Not saying waffle waffle we are great but there is always someone what about the runner Robert Heffernan it would be nice to give it to him and his wife perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

I passed a one-man protest earlier outside the City Hall. He had a big banner complaining about "Labour luvvies getting the freedom of the city ahead of Cork people." or something like that. Personally, I'm not bothered who or how many get the Freedom of the city.

That was john o Donovan he was on with pj this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

The Freedom of the City just seems like an excuse for those in city hall waste some money on an event, that they can attend, that nobody really cares about.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

An issue was this was being held too close to the local elections. Not so much as honouring the President by as a way for the local politicians to distract from the current and past woes by garnering some free press: ie a publicity stunt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement