Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College/health advice

• 25-03-2014 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

I dont really know if im in the right place here... I'm studying in nuim at the moment.. I'm finding myself worried the whole time and missing classes and assignments.. though I could go to the docs and explain but I was told you have to come in sick when you're sick to get a not (if ya get me).. so now I'm twice as bad.. I really want to do well but I'm struggling.. and I also think I'm getting anxiety attacks.. what should I do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

aoife524 wrote: »
    I dont really know if im in the right place here... I'm studying in nuim at the moment.. I'm finding myself worried the whole time and missing classes and assignments.. though I could go to the docs and explain but I was told you have to come in sick when you're sick to get a not (if ya get me).. so now I'm twice as bad.. I really want to do well but I'm struggling.. and I also think I'm getting anxiety attacks.. what should I do?

My advice to you is to get in touch with Rose in the Academic Advisory office if you're having issues with college etc.

She'll be able to help you work out the best way forward, be that helping you contact your various departments, letting you know how to set up appointments with various other offices/facilities on campus that can help you out such as the medical centre, the counselling service etc.

Lots of students have difficulties at some point in their academic life, things they can't necessarily control that prevent them from performing at their best. Lecturers are people too so they understand this, if you let them know in time there's some problem holding you back (now is the time and not a week before the exams start).

PM me if you want any help with contacting Rose (I'd advise emailing her asap to set up an appointment to get this sorted as soon as), though a quick Google should give you her email.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭aoife524

Thanks a million for your quick reply :) im just afraid my reason is too silly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

aoife524 wrote: »
    Thanks a million for your quick reply :) im just afraid my reason is too silly

Your reason's not silly, everyone has their own reasons when it comes to having difficulties with college. The best thing to do is to get the advice of people who're used to helping people in your situation out, like Rose.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Maybe see the Nurse in the medical centre too. She's great with this stuff. You're much better off nipping that stuff in the bud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

banquo wrote: »
    Maybe see the Nurse in the medical centre too. She's great with this stuff.

If its the same one from a few years back then I'd agree with banquo about the nurse, she was so lovely when I was there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭token56

If you feel like you are getting anxiety attacks it might also be worth making an appointment with the counselling service here in Maynooth. Just to see if there is something they can do to help you, like techniques for dealing with suck attacks, etc.

http://www.nuim.ie/campus-life/student-wellbeing-support/counselling

It is a free service for students and in my opinion the staff are brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 EIMxxxEAR

Hi i'm in the exact same situation as you and coming out the other side. If you need any advice on what help i got in nuim don't hesitate to PM me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

token56 wrote: »
    If you feel like you are getting anxiety attacks it might also be worth making an appointment with the counselling service here in Maynooth. Just to see if there is something they can do to help you, like techniques for dealing with suck attacks, etc.

http://www.nuim.ie/campus-life/student-wellbeing-support/counselling

It is a free service for students and in my opinion the staff are brilliant.

This times a million. I was recently diagnosed with anxiety and they really helped me come to terms with it. I always thought it was a made up disorder but it was really crippling me for months. The counselling really helps.

Advertisement