Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Alone - Hostel or Hotel?

Options
  • 25-03-2014 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

Looking for a small bit of advice for New York alone (For 2 to 3 days) in the 20 to 25 age category. Hesitate to stay in a hostel as I'll be starting a trip later on that will require maximum sleep before starting :D

Single hostel rooms are coming back as the same as hotels, but obviously hotels are far more impersonal. So looking for recommendations for hostel / hotel that are relatively quiet and offer single rooms (Purely for the element of improved sleep) Has to be on Manhattan.

Also, any advice for meeting people, tours or group activities. Never been to NYC and don't fancy doing the whole thing on my own. Having been on a J1, I figure its going to be much different hitting it alone but I am prepared for it. Travelled alone before so its not a big issue there.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Never thought of AirBnB. Definitely a good idea.

Any suggestions for an area to stay in on the island?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

It depends on what you're looking for, really. Midtown, just south of Central Park is convenient for Top of the Rock, Empire State Building, Central Park etc, and you'll find plenty to do late at night.

Murray Hill and Alphabet City are popular with younger people, so tend to have a lot more bars and nightlife than many neighborhoods.

Other areas like Tribeca, East Village etc are good if you like it a bit quieter.

I'd stay somewhere south of 86th St. and close to the subway. You can get around the island pretty quickly on the subway, and it's cheap.

Stay away from places like the Financial District, unless you like it very, very quiet at night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

If you're in your early 20s stay in the East Village. Do not stay in midtown, locals don't go there apart from to work and restaurants/bars up there are horrible and overpriced. You can take the train up there to see Times Square if that's your cup of tea, but don't stay there.

You're best off staying anywhere between Houston and 14th Street, I wouldn't agree that Murray Hill is a good place to stay. Other areas you could consider are West Village (very pretty), SoHo, Nolita, Greenwich Village. All are in roughly the same area and all are safe and filled with things to do and great people watching.

When renting on airbnb make sure the listing has plenty of good reviews from previous tenants, as long as you do that it's definitely the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

I'm also going solo, this is where I'll be staying http://www.thejanenyc.com/ its kinda quirky and has a really interesting history. More importantly its CHEAP :D. The bathrooms are shared but by all accounts are regularly cleaned throughout the day and the place has very good reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Check out The Pod Hotel, there's two of them now I think. They have single rooms with shared bathrooms - bathrooms were spotless when I stayed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

shuffles88 wrote: »
    I'm also going solo, this is where I'll be staying http://www.thejanenyc.com/ its kinda quirky and has a really interesting history. More importantly its CHEAP :D. The bathrooms are shared but by all accounts are regularly cleaned throughout the day and the place has very good reviews.

Stayed there a couple of years ago and can only highly recommend it. Bathrooms are spotless alright and there is a bar on the roof. While expensive it is a good starting point on a night out.

Across the West st highway there is a good walk along the Hudson.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Thanks folks. I've decided to go AirBnB for the entire trip (I'm going NYC to San Diego). I just can't justfiy the cost of hotels / hostels in New York. For an 11 day overall trip, the saving for not using hotels is close to €700.

Advertisement