Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking in Dublin

Options
  • 25-03-2014 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm going to be in Dublin tomorrow from approx 5 pm to 10 pm. Where is a good place to park for a 5 hour stay? What time should I give for traffic if I'm coming from the north of the city through Drumcondra? Cheers. I want to go straight into stephens green but don't want to have to sit in traffic for hours.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭TwoGallants

I was thinking of parking in a supermarket around Drumcondra area but I hear they've tightened up on security in these places, I might get clamped if I stay longer than a few hours. Any ideas? (Haven't been in Dublin for a couple of years)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Around Stephen's Green is a premium spot for parking so I'm not sure that you will get on-street parking at that time. You could take a chance (you will only have to pay up to 7pm); if this doesn't work out, the evening rate for the Stephen's Green/RCSI carpark is €7 if you pay on arrival (http://www.q-park.ie/parking-with-q-park/our-parking-facilities/dublin/q-park-stephen's-green)

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

the handiest place for you would be in the Cineworld complex on Parnell street.
    If you're coming up from Drumcondra its a straight drive up through Dorset st.
    As far as I know it's only 6 euro too.

Just noticed you're heading over to Stephens green, if you don't fancy the walk look at parking in Fleet street car park, it's only 5 mins from the green

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Park in Stephen's Green Shopping Centre http://www.q-park.ie/parking-with-q-park/our-parking-facilities/dublin/q-park-stephen's-green

Traffic wouldn't be too bad, you could take this route from Drumcondra, give yourself 30 mins for that.

If you zoom in on Cuffe Street on that route (beside Stephen's Green) you should see Cuffe Lane, you can be lucky to get a spot of on street parking there, you pay the meter until 7pm. It's a narrow road but it won't put you far off track if you've no luck with a space there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Drury St do an evening deal as well. Dead handy for the city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

KeithTS wrote: »
    Just noticed you're heading over to Stephens green, if you don't fancy the walk look at parking in Fleet street car park, it's only 5 mins from the green

The most expensive car park in the area by a mile :O

OP there is usually plenty of on street parking in the greater St. Stephen's Green area if you don't mind a 5-10 minute walk. But the late night parking deals in the RCSI/St Stephen's Green Centre/Drury Street car parks means that these offer better value and a much better location. AFAIK they all require you to pay in the office in advance to benefit from the rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Bump.

Starting an evening course in the city centre today, and am looking for on street parking in or around college green.
    Am working in Lucan til 5.30, course starts at 6.30. Would rather park on the street and pay the 1-2euro or so on the meter up until 7pm rather than go to a car park. Where would be the most central area that would nearly be guaranteed a spot?
    I have often parked on great strand st on the north side when im in town as its handy to get to coming along the quays, is there anywhere closer that may be available?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

retalivity wrote: »
    Bump.

Starting an evening course in the city centre today, and am looking for on street parking in or around college green.
    Am working in Lucan til 5.30, course starts at 6.30. Would rather park on the street and pay the 1-2euro or so on the meter up until 7pm rather than go to a car park. Where would be the most central area that would nearly be guaranteed a spot?
    I have often parked on great strand st on the north side when im in town as its handy to get to coming along the quays, is there anywhere closer that may be available?

There are a few parking spaces in Foster Place (beside the Bank of Ireland) which are rarely full, I'm not sure many people know about them. You might strike lucky there.

Be careful with "paying up to 7pm", make sure to look at the signs for the particular spot you're parking in, lots of streets have pay and display until 12mn, or even 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    There are a few parking spaces in Foster Place (beside the Bank of Ireland) which are rarely full, I'm not sure many people know about them. You might strike lucky there.

Be careful with "paying up to 7pm", make sure to look at the signs for the particular spot you're parking in, lots of streets have pay and display until 12mn, or even 24 hours.

But remember the bus gate will be operational at College Green, that means you can't come over O'Connell St bridge, you'd need to come down Dame Street to avail of it. There's sometimes some spaces on Poolbeg Street (near Mulligan's pub).

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

If you're going to College Green, Pearse Street is a good bet in the early evening - cross the river at the Custom House/IFSC and then follow Townsend St/Sandwith St round to the left before turning right onto Pearse to give you a good long hunting run along the street. Loads of on-street parking, 5 minute walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Hi guys,

I'm going to be in Dublin tomorrow from approx 5 pm to 10 pm. Where is a good place to park for a 5 hour stay? What time should I give for traffic if I'm coming from the north of the city through Drumcondra? Cheers. I want to go straight into stephens green but don't want to have to sit in traffic for hours.

If you're coming into town at that time, I'd thought you be ok as most traffic will be going out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Tordelback wrote: »
    If you're going to College Green, Pearse Street is a good bet in the early evening - ...

Be wary of clearways in operation up to 7pm along Pearse St. past the junction with Westland Row.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

00112984 wrote: »
    Be wary of clearways in operation up to 7pm along Pearse St. past the junction with Westland Row.

True, but there are also plenty of pay-parking spaces which only charge up to 7pm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just pay the few bob and leave it safe in the RCSI car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Sorry to bump this thread, but going to a gig in Dublin (Jervis street area) tonight and looking for somewhere to park from about midnight to 3:30/4am, does anywhere know anywhere I could park that would be free/cheap at that time? Have a vague recollection of a friend parking on the quays about 2 years ago but not sure if that will be packed tonight due to it being Valentines day, cheers in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

I always get parking around the markets/ Marys lane Area - jervis st is just a five minutes walk away. Its free that time of night.

Advertisement