Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Invoice from Sole Trader

• 25-03-2014 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi All

A sole trader supplier invoices my company and he is not VAT registered and I suspect that he doesn't declare the income. What are the risks:
    a) for me to pay him and
    b) for him not to declare the income.
    The amount is relatively small, just under 1000€. Is it legal? Will this fly under the radar, so to speak?

Thanks in advance.

Hubert.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

There are a lot of sole traders who would be under the threshold for VAT registration

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭vertico

I think you have to clear the payment with revenue first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hi

It does not matter to you whether or not the supplier is declaring the income as that is a matter which is between them and the revenue.

You just pay the amount owed and that is it, you do not have to get clearance from the revenue.

Regards

dbran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

see http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/guide/registration.html#section2

For goods threshold for registration is €75k and €37,500 for services per calendar year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,279 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

vertico wrote: »
    I think you have to clear the payment with revenue first

I don't get this, is there any ever occasion where you have to tell the revenue your paying somone?

• Advertisement

I don't get this, is there any ever occasion where you have to tell the revenue your paying somone?

I do direct labour sometimes for a company and when I invoice him, he logs onto revenue and clears the payment 1st. If was behind on my taxes( which I'm not) there's an option to hold a % of the payment to go to revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

vertico wrote: »
    I do direct labour sometimes for a company and when I invoice him, he logs onto revenue and clears the payment 1st. If was behind on my taxes( which I'm not) there's an option to hold a % of the payment to go to revenue.

Hi

This is RCT, which is a system that operates in the construction, forestry and meat processing industry.

It may or may not be applicable to the OP. Depends of what is being invoiced.

dbran

dbran wrote: »
    Hi

This is RCT, which is a system that operates in the construction, forestry and meat processing industry.

It may or may not be applicable to the OP. Depends of what is being invoiced.

dbran
    True never thought about what industry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭jjjd

hubert1946 wrote: »
    Hi All

A sole trader supplier invoices my company and he is not VAT registered and I suspect that he doesn't declare the income. What are the risks:
    a) for me to pay him and
    b) for him not to declare the income.
    The amount is relatively small, just under 1000€. Is it legal? Will this fly under the radar, so to speak?

Thanks in advance.

Hubert.
    No harm in asking him for a tax clearance certificate. Common enough practice to only engage suppliers who are tax compliant. It's our company policy.

Advertisement