Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OUYA Mini Console 8GB Edition - €76.49 Delivered [Amazon.com]

• 25-03-2014 1:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Amazon work out the Import Fees for us, and including everything, price works out at €76.49 Delivered.

OUYA Console 8GB Edition - $69.99 (€50.61)

51hiMFucgGL._SX385_.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Pretty sure you can put XBMC on this and it's supposed to be decent. I might pick one up!

Thanks OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

XBMC is class on this.

The gaming site of it is ****e though.

XBMC & Plex, and emulators if you like old skool gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

I have a now tv box, a chromecast, a raspberry pi and I still want one of these!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

I sold my Pi 3 days after buying it and got one of these a while back for XBMC.

It craps all over the performance of the pi for XBMC with the added bonus of retro gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭bigron2109

looder wrote: »
    XBMC is class on this.

The gaming site of it is ****e though.

XBMC & Plex, and emulators if you like old skool gaming.

Don't suppose there's any kind of custom rom which would get rid of the Ouya store rubbish? I'll be concentrating, as you said, on XBMC and emulation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I want one of these! Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

I bought one of these on the UK site for £99 last year. Only use it for XBMC and it works very well.

To answer my own question this looks promising:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2692843

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I bought one of Amazon returned it not a good device an android tv is much better games not great only get a couple of levels then you have to buy, controllers very plasticky overall great idea but "must try harder"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭cjlawlor

Don't suppose there's any kind of custom rom which would get rid of the Ouya store rubbish? I'll be concentrating, as you said, on XBMC and emulation.

I've had an Ouya for a while now... I don't know if there are any custom roms yet.... You can boot directly to XBMC though so you won't see the Ouya interface. XBMC runs really well - better than a hacked Apple TV or Raspberry Pi in my opinion... and I've tried them all. I've tried a few emulators and they also work well. The only original game I actually liked is Polarity which is basically a Portal/Portal 2 ripoff... albeit a reasonably fun one. I've pretty much given up on gaming on the Ouya at this stage and am now using it as my main media playback device and have no complaints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭cjlawlor

To answer my own question this looks promising:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2692843

Interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

So, is there any thing else I need(Bargain Alert-er)/should(normal people) to buy to go with this?

jmch81 wrote: »
    So, is there any thing else I need(Bargain Alert-er)/should(normal people) to buy to go with this?

Beer and pizza for a good night in on front of the telly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭chopsey

why cant i resist these things? thanks OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Any issues with voltage if this is coming from the US?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Any issues with voltage if this is coming from the US?

None. It's 100-220v

There's a hack to add the play store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Finally decided to buy a Raspberry Pii, now this comes up.... Which do I go for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭mcw92

Hootanany wrote: »
    games not great only get a couple of levels then you have to buy,

Which games?

Qwerty? wrote: »
    Finally decided to buy a Raspberry Pii, now this comes up.... Which do I go for?

This or I'll sell you my raspberry pi and I'll buy this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    This or I'll sell you my raspberry pi and I'll buy this!

Reviews are pretty varied.

What model pii have you?

Qwerty? wrote: »
    Reviews are pretty varied.

What model pii have you?

Model b, black case, 8GB and card. Have it about 6 months but I've only used it a handful of times. Messed around with xbmc a bit but never fully set it up. Would you be interested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

will amazon usa deliver to ireland????

massy086 wrote: »
    will amazon usa deliver to ireland????

Yes. Postage is about €8.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

I've heard these have issues if you plug them into an amp/receiver with XBMC. Issues with 5.1. True?
    Also, can it be controlled with HDMI-CEC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

i have one of these - great for XMBC

Side note if you want it for streaming make sure its near the router.

the wifi card on it isnt great. if you can plug it into the router even better.

you can get an app called blueboard (android) on your phone for easy text input.

some games are good - some are rubbish use it predominantly for XBMC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Showing up as $99 today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

the deal included 25$ worth of game credit if you ordered before midnight last night.

Despite not really needing this I ordered it anyway :o
    Really should stay away from BA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

I've got one of these and can vouch for it. Great device for XBMC, no fuss, no IR though, so must be controlled with controller or with Yatse App on phone/tablet.

Games-wise, emulators work flawlessly for the most part, but if you have a lot of ROMS I recommend getting a low-profile USB stick to stick in the back.

The native games are much-maligned (unfairly imo) I think a lot of the negative feedback is from people expecting a AAA games-type experience, which this device cannot and will never provide. The games are, for the most part, quirky, independent, pick up and play but fun. There is a lot of dross (understanably) but some real gems too - Towerfall is a blast (supports local multiplayer) and recently ported over to PS4, Hidden in Plain Sight is great too.

I got one of these for my 10 year old nephew, mostly to stream to his room, he got an xbox 360 for christmas, but he seems to play games on this just as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

garlad wrote: »
    I've heard these have issues if you plug them into an amp/receiver with XBMC. Issues with 5.1. True?
    Also, can it be controlled with HDMI-CEC?

No, it's supposed to be coming down the line but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    I was hoping for this feature too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

stooge wrote: »
    the deal included 25$ worth of game credit if you ordered before midnight last night.

Despite not really needing this I ordered it anyway :o
    Really should stay away from BA.

I ordered this yesterday but dont recall seeing anything about a $25 credit?

reni10 wrote: »
    I ordered this yesterday but dont recall seeing anything about a $25 credit?

There was a note on the amazon page saying you should get a promotional email with 25$ free credit after you place your order.

this link describes the offer:
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/03/25/deal-alert-ouya-on-sale-for-69-99-with-25-game-credit-today-only-just-in-time-to-try-the-cm-11-port/

poldebruin wrote: »
    no IR though, so must be controlled with controller or with Yatse App on phone/tablet.

Droidmote is an excellent controller app for both gameplay and general navigation / typing. You need to put the Play Store on your machine to use it though.

For IR you can get this which allows you use most universal remotes and even an Apple TV remote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Is it easy to get xbmc on to it?
    I have never used XBMC mind but seen videos and it looks easy enough

Is it easy to get xbmc on to it?
    I have never used XBMC mind but seen videos and it looks easy enough

Extremely easy. It's comes with the Ouya store. If you want to use a different version you can download and install the APK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Price back up to $99

Price back up to $99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

stooge wrote: »
    There was a note on the amazon page saying you should get a promotional email with 25$ free credit after you place your order.

this link describes the offer:
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/03/25/deal-alert-ouya-on-sale-for-69-99-with-25-game-credit-today-only-just-in-time-to-try-the-cm-11-port/

I did not get any email with the $25 free credit so I will have to contact Amazon...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 sir_love

I bought one of these on the deal. Thanks OP
    I also received the 25 euro voucher for games which i was aware of it. only got the email once the ouya was shipped

lastly i use it for xbmc. its the best. i tried a lot of other device too including apple tv, android sticks & PI.
    You can boot xbmc directly and control it using the xbmc remote so i rarely use the controller only when i need to run updates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

sir_love wrote: »
    I also received the 25 euro voucher for games which i was aware of it. only got the email once the ouya was shipped

lastly i use it for xbmc. its the best. i tried a lot of other device too including apple tv, android sticks & PI.
    You can boot xbmc directly and control it using the xbmc remote so i rarely use the controller only when i need to run updates

what's xmbc link on a pi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

As a matter of interest how does it compare with the chinese android sticks, like the mk908 ? I have a mk908, its fantastic performance wise, maybe a bit rough around the edges but its not far off a quad core smartphone for usage. They can be gotten for $50 as well. Seems to me that this might be a bit more polished, especially for emulators with the controller, but might be a bit sluggish with only 1gb of ram ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

The Ouya is excellent as a XBMC box, not slugish at all.

There are some really fun multi-player games on it too. Possibly not in that category but I released a game on it last year "Soc-Car" if anyone would like to check it out (its small and free). Its multi-player only (no AI)

I have a new game in the works if anyone would like me to send them a demo, I would be delighted to. It's a local multi-player[1-8] collection of mini games where players control cars in different scenarios. There is AI available for playing single player.

There is more info and screen shots about it here

sir_love wrote: »

Would you recommend it at the full price it is now?

I would wait, I bought it from Amazon in the US 3 weeks ago at this price too, so it seems to be yo-yo

I think its worth €100 though, but no point spending €100 if you can spend €75 right? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭webels

Set up an alert for yourself on camelcamelcamel.com so you are alerted when the price drops again. You shouldnt have too long to wait

Aren't there issues with XBMC on this? The official version is lacking audio support for some formats or something like that. I believe there's numerous third party versions like BeyondXBMC and SPMC ....

Yeah that is correct, the version on the Ouya store has issues with some audio codecs.

But the latest version downloaded straight from XBMC will work fine

I got the original offer but would not have bothered if it was full price. After doing a bit of research it seems likely that an Ouya MkII will be released either later this year or early next year. If it has a Tegra 4 or 5 then it will definitely be worth the wait.

FYI I purchased because I needed an XBMC/plex capable player for a TV. The added bonus was the games (I dont have a console). witnessmenow, I'd be interested in your game, also in a bit of dev or testing if possible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement