Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Infants---what does yours get for HW?

Options
  • 25-03-2014 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

Mine gets very little, maybe a page of reading, maybe a picture to colour.

Her friend is in another school and she gets phonics, maths, writing and reading every night.

Just curious about what yours gets and what's too much and what's too little.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

She gets a page of words to blend, a writing activity and a book to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

A few pages of reading.
    An envelope of words to read.
    Phonics.
    and a page from a workbook that involves writing / tracing some letters and then colouring in some of the panels from it.

It can take anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour depending on her concentration level. Honestly, I was surprised to see so much initially but definitely glad that they have it. None of it is particularly strenuous and I'm very focused on our childrens' education as I believe it really is the "silver bullet" to a better quality of life for them. We're already seeing traditional jobs being phased out or replaced by technology and when so many of our present day unemployed are in that position becasue they don't have the education for the jobs that are available, I can only see it getting worse by the time our children enter the labour market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

My kids school has a policy of very little homework in JI and SI but the little bit they do is very important.
    Standard HW is a some blending exercises with letters and a few pages of reading.
    The school make a lot of effort to explain the parents the value of 10/15 minutes one to one time to practice reading skills 4 times a week as there is no way that a teacher can give enough one to one time to each child at this key stage of learning to read.

It is definitely less than some other kids I know in other schools, but the standards in the school are very high, so I have no reason to believe the more homework would be beneficial.

There are loads of different opinions on the value of homework and the value of lots of homework.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

A little book to read.
    An envelope of words to read.
    A page that involves letters or numbers and colouring.

It usually takes about 10-15 minutes,though if the book or words are hard it can take alot longer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Too much is anything that takes more than 15 mins. Some people seem to equate more homework =better school, which of course is not true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

10 - 15 mins in Junior Infants, shouldn't be any longer, none for the first couple of months. Word box with single words to learn, pictures with letters, words or numbers to colour in.

Advertisement