Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement "2D" fluorescent bulb

Options
  • 25-03-2014 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭

Anyone know anywhere in Dublin I'd be able to pick up a replacement for one of these?

hevri1u.jpg

Serial number on it is GE F162D 827, so I think it's one of these

Ideally somewhere around D3/D5.
    Or even knowing what they're generically called would help, at least then I'd know what to ask for when ringing around!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭LeBash

MOH wrote: »
    Anyone know anywhere in Dublin I'd be able to pick up a replacement for one of these?

hevri1u.jpg

Serial number on it is GE F162D 827, so I think it's one of these

Ideally somewhere around D3/D5.
    Or even knowing what they're generically called would help, at least then I'd know what to ask for when ringing around!

Your local Electrical Wholesaler will have them. Its a 16 watt 2d 2 pin. Dont forget to ask for a starter as well. Its 50 to 60 cent and might save you getting up the ladder again in a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

LeBash wrote: »
    Your local Electrical Wholesaler will have them. Its a 16 watt 2d 2 pin. Dont forget to ask for a starter as well. Its 50 to 60 cent and might save you getting up the ladder again in a month.

2pin fitting doesn't need a starter

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

Generally a 2 pin lamp requires a starter as they are switch start.
    the electronic ballasts are 4 pin usually and dont require a starter.
    dublin elec wholesale are on the north circular rd, paddy freemans is on the bottom of the malahide rd, grange electric are in baldoyle ind est.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭LeBash

2pin fitting doesn't need a starter

As far as i remember 2 pin does and 4 pin doesnt.

Generally a 2 pin lamp requires a starter as they are switch start.
    the electronic ballasts are 4 pin usually and dont require a starter.
    dublin elec wholesale are on the north circular rd, paddy freemans is on the bottom of the malahide rd, grange electric are in baldoyle ind est.

that's not my experience and I've fitted hundreds of them

any 2 pin I fitted has lamp (with integral starter) and ballast only

and 4 pin fitting can be high frequency or separate starter and magnetic ballast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

:o ooops, i have that literature on me desk in work and i didnt bother to consult it.

16 & 28W 2D™ Watt-Miser™
    lamp available in 2 & 4-pin
    versions
    • 2-pin design with internal starter
    • 4-pin design optimised for high frequency operation and
    also suitable for emergency lighting

this would mean that the 2 pin can only be used with a switch start ballast/choke , and is the integral starter something that is unique to ge lamps or do all 2d 2 pin lamps have a built in starter?

:o ooops, i have that literature on me desk in work and i didnt bother to consult it.

16 & 28W 2D™ Watt-Miser™
    lamp available in 2 & 4-pin
    versions
    • 2-pin design with internal starter
    • 4-pin design optimised for high frequency operation and
    also suitable for emergency lighting

this would mean that the 2 pin can only be used with a switch start ballast/choke , and is the integral starter something that is unique to ge lamps or do all 2d 2 pin lamps have a built in starter?

I'd say theres only 1 type of 2pin lamp
    they were usually in cheap fittings

the 4 pin were more commonly used ime

Advertisement