Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1912 Advances made under Land Purchases Act

Options
  • 25-03-2014 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

I came across this fantastic document

http://eppi.dippam.ac.uk/documents/21896/eppi_pages/613372

Can anyone help explain what an entry means ?

I'm specifically looking at Entry 136 Bridget Moran. Has the land been bought at that point or is this just a record of the annual payment i.e. that this purchase was started in previous years ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,444 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

As far as I can see, the entry records that on some date between January and March 1912 an amount of £206 was advanced to Bridget Moran to finance the purchase by her of just over 21 acres of which she was, up to that point, the tenant. She had been paying £9 19s 6d in annual rent for the land up to that point.

(Athough the money is treated has having been advanced to Bridget Moran, it would in fact have been paid directly to her landlord. She would cease to be the tenant of the land and become the owner; she would stop paying rent and instead start paying an annuity to the Land Commission to repay the amount of £206 over a period of years.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Peregrinus wrote: »
    As far as I can see, the entry records that on some date between January and March 1912 an amount of £206 was advanced to Bridget Moran to finance the purchase by her of just over 21 acres of which she was, up to that point, the tenant. She had been paying £9 19s 6d in annual rent for the land up to that point.

(Athough the money is treated has having been advanced to Bridget Moran, it would in fact have been paid directly to her landlord. She would cease to be the tenant of the land and become the owner; she would stop paying rent and instead start paying an annuity to the Land Commission to repay the amount of £206 over a period of years.)

That's fantastic, thank you very much, this helps give motive to a theory I have come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

As Pergrinus has well said.

That document is part of a massive social engineering project carried out pursuant to the Land Acts. Under those Acts tenants were enabled to become freehold owners in fee simple. Land Commission staff worked from the landlord's tenant roll, visited the various estates, and sorted out on the ground numerous issues.

Some holdings were in patchworks of scattered fields. They "striped" these into what were thought to be viable holdings at the time ( 20-30 acres ). They sorted out rights of way, roads, turbary rights and seaweed rights in coastal areas. They mapped the lands held in common ( commonage ) to be held between that particular group of tenants

In the turbary divisions they set out detals re cutting the turf only to a certain depth, providing for drainage etc.

They prepared excellent maps of all their work

They went thru each village or group of townland s setting out these arrangements in Vesting Orders as shown in the above example. Each former tenant had his/her own Purchase Agreement

The various forms and agreements were preprinted, then filled in in beautiful copperplate writing

All done to a high standard without modern technology

Where needed to establish title copies of these documents could be provided.

On the abolition of the Land Commission all these documents were I believe transferred to the Dept of Agiculture. I do hope they are being kept safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

nuac wrote: »
    As Pergrinus has well said.

That document is part of a massive social engineering project carried out pursuant to the Land Acts. Under those Acts tenants were enabled to become freehold owners in fee simple. Land Commission staff worked from the landlord's tenant roll, visited the various estates, and sorted out on the ground numerous issues.

Some holdings were in patchworks of scattered fields. They "striped" these into what were thought to be viable holdings at the time ( 20-30 acres ). They sorted out rights of way, roads, turbary rights and seaweed rights in coastal areas. They mapped the lands held in common ( commonage ) to be held between that particular group of tenants

In the turbary divisions they set out detals re cutting the turf only to a certain depth, providing for drainage etc.

They prepared excellent maps of all their work

They went thru each village or group of townland s setting out these arrangements in Vesting Orders as shown in the above example. Each former tenant had his/her own Purchase Agreement

The various forms and agreements were preprinted, then filled in in beautiful copperplate writing

All done to a high standard without modern technology

Where needed to establish title copies of these documents could be provided.

On the abolition of the Land Commission all these documents were I believe transferred to the Dept of Agiculture. I do hope they are being kept safely.

Thanks for that background info, Nuac.

I found at the front of the document that the Purchase date was 21 March 1912, which fitted in nicely with what I was looking for.

Advertisement