Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What chainring and cassette for hilly races

Options
  • 25-03-2014 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Hi all, had a duathlon race over the weekend in which the route had to be changed last minute and meant there were lots of hills! My tri bike has 53x39T upfront and 12-28 cassette in the rear and I was struggling on some of the climbs. I'm more a high cadence rider than pure tree trunk leg power!

What would be the best route to take, bar leg strength training, as have another hilly duathlon coming up in 2 weeks...
    - change the rear cassette to a 12x30 thou that will only change the ratio from 1.4 to 1.3
    or
    - change the granny ring up front from a 39T to a 34T to bring the ratio down from 1.4 to 1.2

Any help most welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

viperlogic wrote: »
    Hi all, had a duathlon race over the weekend in which the route had to be changed last minute and meant there were lots of hills! My tri bike has 53x39T upfront and 12-28 cassette in the rear and I was struggling on some of the climbs. I'm more a high cadence rider than pure tree trunk leg power!

Really which one?
    What would be the best route to take, bar leg strength training, as have another hilly duathlon coming up in 2 weeks...
    - change the rear cassette to a 12x30 thou that will only change the ratio from 1.4 to 1.3

Depends on your rear derailleur, alot won't support 30 teeth.
    or
    - change the granny ring up front from a 39T to a 34T to bring the ratio down from 1.4 to 1.2

Would require changing your chainset as well as the rings as the BCD on a stock 39T is 130 while a 34T is 110
    Any help most welcome

Go ride some hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Have I finally met a cyclist weaker than me, surely a 12-28 would get you up anything in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

My legs were fairly shot from a fast 20 mile run 2 days before hand. So combination of that and need to do some hill training. Haven't seen hills in awhile as was on the turbo for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

a 39 x 28 is enough gearing for any climb in this country,
    as most of these steep climbs are short I would beg to argue that spinning up them is the best approach,

however the "easiest" option if you really wanted to is put a compact chain set on the bike or possibly don't do a 20 mile run the day before:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Haven't seen hills in awhile as was on the turbo for the winter.

Does your turbo have variable resistance??? :)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Long term, just get more used to hills. I think adapting your setup to cope with your weaknesses is a bad idea. Suffer through the next race by any means and then train harder on more hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

I didn't think it was possible to get a lighter gearing than a 12-28... think you may need a little bit of HTFU i'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

Find a decent gradient hill and do reps starting with a low number of reps and build up...1 bike session a week in my plan is hill reps and is a very worthwhile session

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

Ride hills. Stop eating cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

trinewbie wrote: »
    Ride hills. Stop eating cake.
    would i not be better off to buy a 650 wheel bike to make my 39 -28 easier ??? ( i like me cake)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

Put on a triple chainset with a 28 and eat all the cake you like!!!!

Advertisement