Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3D Fingal Sprint Tri cancelled

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Podge83 wrote: »
    http://www.3dtri.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=104%3A3dtrisprintupdate&catid=8%3Anews&Itemid=101

This is a bit of a shame - first Tri of the year for me.

Will Tri Ireland slip another into NS I wonder.

Looks like races on closed roads in Dublin area will be very scarce.

2013 here we come...........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Been involved in race organisation at various levels "down the country"..... what specific permissions are required in Dublin? Are we just talking about no road closure? I assume not as you could just have it on open roads like most other races. Which body is giving difficulty and what permit is being withheld?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

EC1000 wrote: »
    Been involved in race organisation at various levels "down the country"..... what specific permissions are required in Dublin? Are we just talking about no road closure? I assume not as you could just have it on open roads like most other races. Which body is giving difficulty and what permit is being withheld?

Fingal county council

tunney wrote: »
    2013 here we come...........

I called this as a near certainty when the NS was announced and said it was ridiculous to award NS status to a race that would in all likelihood not happen. I was called alot of nasty names for this.
    EC1000 wrote: »

The issue is, as you say, not closure of roads. Its the organisation of events on open roads, as is the norm in Ireland, combined with an interpretation by FCC that in the absence of garda sign off that events cannot happen where the rules of the road will be broken. The gardai responsible for this sign off in FCC will not give it so FCC will not allow the races.

I gather Skerries triathlon *is* happening because the road will be closed. I gather they achieved this by talking to every householder on the route, getting agreement from them and then getting the roads closed.

Pretty sure I've made a pigs mickey of the explanation but the salient details are there.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Fingal are the only authority that appear to be adopting this position at present and the only current way round it appears to be by having temporary road closures

The interesting thing is that Fingal CoCo seem to believe they have authority to permit racing under the 1993 Roads Act (s74), which applies to road races defined as follows:
    (1) In this section “road race” means a prescribed class of race, time trial or speed trial on a public road involving persons, vehicles or animals
    Now my understanding is that no class of race has ever been "prescribed" under this provision. That means that the council cannot prohibit races under this provision. However the Gardai can stop anyone that breaches any road traffic law which makes the council position on traditional races difficult to challenge. However I believe it is entirely possible to run TTs within the road traffic legislation - basically it requires cyclists to obverve all road signs (such as yield and stop signs) and take care not to form a group which could result in rider being 3 abreast. In essence an out and back circuit turning at a roundabout can be entirely "legal" provided cyclists yield to any vehicle already on the roundabout. There are a couple of roads in Fingal where ths is entirely possible but I suspect would be impractical to use in this Triathlon

• Advertisement

For years this has been an issue of varying degree.
    Discussion on any forums about it was slapped down "to allow it to be resolved by the relevant parties". Those that wanted to discuss it wanted to in order to enable people to lobby their councillors. Its a problem caused by politicians and civil servants who were no doubt lobbied by parties opposed to the inconvenience imposed by racing on road.

There was no discussion, no mass lobbying just two organisations trying (or claiming to) deal with FCC and the guards - organisations with woeful track records. Look where we are now? There will be no racing in Fingal CC this year and the fear is it spreads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Was it not a case with the other race that the bike leg was neutralised? Which meant that technically you were not 'racing' the bike leg and that this was the workaround that meant it was able to go ahead?

AKW wrote: »
    Was it not a case with the other race that the bike leg was neutralised? Which meant that technically you were not 'racing' the bike leg and that this was the workaround that meant it was able to go ahead?

That was one of Voldemort's races and I doubt anyone was informed of it happening on the roads. Interesting if there was an accident I imagine.

AKW wrote: »

That's what happened last year yeah. If anything similar is happening this year I would imagine it won't be announced till *much* closer to the time.

OPW are cracking down on stuff that goes on in the Phoenix Park...enjoy racing while ye can lads we might not be doing it much longer :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Edit: wrong race, sorry

• Advertisement

That's what happened last year yeah. If anything similar is happening this year I would imagine it won't be announced till *much* closer to the time.

OPW are cracking down on stuff that goes on in the Phoenix Park...enjoy racing while ye can lads we might not be doing it much longer :rolleyes:

must not inconvenience those that use the phoenix park as a rat race. Guess what - buy in the sticks, have a sh1t commute.

Advertisement