Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ILM Cert in Management?

Options
  • 25-03-2014 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭

Im really stumped on where to ask this..... :confused: this is about the most appropriate place I can think.

So I'm looking to take on someone part time that will help me manage my business.

Just someone to make sure the team get their work done and give some direction (as sometimes when I'm very busy people panic and often times bad communication means I will have two people- unbeknownst to each other, work on the same project- and other general messiness)

Ive had a few applicants- most of them fresh out of college but no experience.

The only lad with any bit of experience has a cert in Front Line Management from ILM. I did a bit of googling and I cant really find much about it- other then FAS offer it as a nightcourse.

Now I left school with no qualifications myself so I'm very open to someone with a few FAS certs.

But I just want to know.... is the ILM cert worth anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭terryhobdell

Did he meet your requirements when you interviewed him?.what does his qualification mean? I really don't think you set out with a set of criteria for the job. ILM is a listed qualification does it meet your needs? Why part time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭BillyBoy13

Did he meet your requirements when you interviewed him?

Ive yet to meet him. Im still at the filtering through CV stages.

Im not sure what to make of him at all to be honest.... hes been on social welfare for the past 6 years- which is ringing serious alarm bells. But during that time he has done crazy amounts of work for various charities. He's averaging about 9 big charity events a year for those years on social welfare (some of these are huge national events not just piddly little things). And his sports life, he has been chairman on a few different clubs and has gone out foreign with the Irish team and he is also involved in a few intellectual societies (space, philosophy and maths that I can recall from memory).
    Why part time?

Im offering part time because thats all I can afford. Id love to take someone on full time- but some weeks we just about break even.

So probably the lads that did really well in college see my job and are turning their nose up (Im not going to lie, its a dead end job).

Ive a few CV's from lads that sound like all they want to do is party and the only half decent CV is from this lad with the ILM. He sounds like he could be a diamond in the rough- but the fact hes being unemployed for 6 years and the fact nobody seems to really know anything about the ILM cert is making me wary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

I completed this course after university as I was struggling to get a decent full time position and was working part time in retail. I wanted to show prospective employers I was continuing my professional development etc.

That said, I would rate the content as being the same as Junior Cert. Business Studies level. Really basic stuff that - if I'm being honest - should be common sense to a lot of people e.g. speaking privately to someone about their poor performance rather than sending a big group email. That was the level it was at when I completed the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

6 years unemployed and looking for a part-time job leads me to thinking that this guy has probably been looking after his kids. Stay-at-home Dads aren't so uncommon these days.

Interview the guy. It seems to me that he might just have what you want, while possibly being happy with a part-time position. You can ask in the interview why he hasn't worked for so long. Based on his "hobby" activities, I'd say he's someone with some management experience already who likes to use his time well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

The new term in management ciricles is "management practice".
    Prof. Henry Mintzberg in commentary on HBS MBA's basically said you cant create managers in a classroom. Management is a combination of science and craft...hence he called it management practice...which is probably a very accurate description (even though my postgrad is an MSc in biz Mgmt).

Someone going into a supervisory role should have recent working experience...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭terryhobdell

I think you are getting to hung up and trying to analyse things which may or may not be accurate.Interview the guy that's the place to find out the details and see if you could work with him. At worst you will have to offer him a cup of tea but I would spend half an hour of your time digging you could find a gem.

Advertisement