Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving test - bike kw, what proof is required?

• 25-03-2014 2:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Looking at buying a 2004 F650GS, would want to do my test on it.
    I've been turned away from a test already because of a power output mismatch to my license, dont want it to happen again

I have a couple of problems:

Firstly, the bike is not listed specifically on the RSA list of approved bikes, there are a few F650's, but none are the exact one, see extract:

BMW F650 GS 2008 on A, A2 if Restricted Not suitable for test
    BMW F650 GS Funduro 1003-2001 A2 A2 - 20-25KW
    BMW F650 ST Strada A2 A2 - 20-25KW
    BMW F650GS Dakar A2 if Restricted A2 - 20-25KW
    BMW F650GS Funduro 2000-2008 A2 if Restricted A2 - 20-25KW

Secondly, on the tax cert for the bike, in the power kw output section, 555555, is writen in, i.e. it has not been registered correctly. I know the instructor will look at this on the morning of my test.

I think the bike has an output of 36kw, so its 1kw over the A2 limit. But thats just going by internet info.

So....

Should I look to get a restricter on the bike to bring it down to 35kw, and most importantly will the instructor accept a restriction cert on the day of the test and allow me to do the test.

Or, will or can I be test for an A license?

I've emailed same query to RSA, hoping for a quicker reply here..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

F650 is no good for an A license unless its after 2008 as this engines are 800cc twins. Anything before 2008 cannot be used for A test.
    Anything pre 2008 can be used for A2 if restricted.
    I'd say just buy what u Luke and use instructors bike for test.

Do you have a link to the bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

When I did my test recently the tester loaded up the MCN website on his tablet to see what power rating they had down for the bike and went on that.

If it's restricted and you have a cert then I can't imagine any problems, but not 100% sure on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

StaggerLee wrote: »
    Looking at buying a 2004 F650GS, would want to do my test on it.
    I've been turned away from a test already because of a power output mismatch to my license, dont want it to happen again

I have a couple of problems:

Firstly, the bike is not listed specifically on the RSA list of approved bikes, there are a few F650's, but none are the exact one, see extract:

BMW F650 GS 2008 on A, A2 if Restricted Not suitable for test
    BMW F650 GS Funduro 1003-2001 A2 A2 - 20-25KW
    BMW F650 ST Strada A2 A2 - 20-25KW
    BMW F650GS Dakar A2 if Restricted A2 - 20-25KW
    BMW F650GS Funduro 2000-2008 A2 if Restricted A2 - 20-25KW

Secondly, on the tax cert for the bike, in the power kw output section, 555555, is writen in, i.e. it has not been registered correctly. I know the instructor will look at this on the morning of my test.

I think the bike has an output of 36kw, so its 1kw over the A2 limit. But thats just going by internet info.

So....

Should I look to get a restricter on the bike to bring it down to 35kw, and most importantly will the instructor accept a restriction cert on the day of the test and allow me to do the test.

Or, will or can I be test for an A license?

I've emailed same query to RSA, hoping for a quicker reply here..

The only reply that counts is the one from the RSA.
    I've had to call them before and found that they usually has the answer straight away or the one time they didn't they called me back quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Del2005 wrote: »
    The only reply that counts is the one from the RSA.
    I've had to call them before and found that they usually has the answer straight away or the one time they didn't they called me back quickly.

Except when they try and tell you that the BHP and KW rating for a Honda Steed VLX600 is the same as a Bandit 600, because, well they are both 600cc bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Soundman wrote: »
    Except when they try and tell you that the BHP and KW rating for a Honda Steed VLX600 is the same as a Bandit 600, because, well they are both 600cc bikes.

They can be wrong sometimes like everyone else.

But if the OP turns up for their test an email from the RSA saying that the bike is suitable for the test will mean that the tester will let them out, if they have a thread on an Internet forum saying that the bike is suitable they'll have a tougher job to convince the tester to let them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

But if the OP turns up for their test an email from the RSA saying that the bike is suitable for the test will mean that the tester will let them out, if they have a thread on an Internet forum saying that the bike is suitable they'll have a tougher job to convince the tester to let them out.

Thats not necessary, the rules are clear as day...
    If the registration cert is not completed correctly a print out specification of the bike is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

This is correct. RSA advised me to email them in advance of test, they'll contact the test centre and let them know I'm coming with restriction cert.

Advertisement