Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back on social welfare but in a different county

Options
  • 25-03-2014 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi all,

I was on social welfare in Limerick for about 6months until I got a contract job in Dublin for 11months with the hope it would be permanent, I now know it is not and I will be finishing up soon. My query is, as I was on social welfare in Limerick before, is it a massive ordeal to get back on social welfare up here while I seek new employment. Also, I am paying rent to the tune of €900 per month with my partner, would I be entitled to rent allowance also?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

You will be able to claim in you local office in Dublin,rent allowance will depend on whether your partner also qualifies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

If its just you and your partner renting its highly unlikely that you will be able to claim rent allowance as you will be over the rental limit http://www.welfare.ie/en/pressoffice/pdf/Revised%20rent%20limits%20June%202013.pdf. Also if your partner is working full time you will not qualify for rent allowance. The sw office in Dublin will request your previous claim and file from Limerick. Also if your partner is working then their means will be assessed also for your claim if its jobseekers allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 davidod2012

Thanks for the help lads, as I have been working for the past 11 months would I not be entitled to claim my stamps back and avoid going on the jobseekers benefit. I would imagine that I should get the €188 per week while I search for work. (hopefully it will only be a week or two) :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Thanks for the help lads, as I have been working for the past 11 months would I not be entitled to claim my stamps back and avoid going on the jobseekers benefit. I would imagine that I should get the €188 per week while I search for work. (hopefully it will only be a week or two) :-D

What you are talking about is jobseekers benefit which is payable on the total amount of contributions you have e.g. you would have to have 104 and then you would also have to have 39 paid in 2012 which is the governing year for 2014 claims. There are other options as well for jsb.... see link and go to prsi contributions which gives all the scenarios for qualifying http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Jobseeker's-Benefit.aspx

Advertisement