Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palm Springs, CA - Worth Seeing?

Options
  • 25-03-2014 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Looking for some advice on Palm Springs. I'll be ending up in Scottsdale / Phoenix AZ, and my flight home is from San Diego. I have a few days to kill between the two. I've seen LA, so I will be avoiding there.

I've driven direct between Phoenix and San Diego before, so I was thinking of taking a longer loop and going through Palm Springs.

Just wondering, is it worth seeing? And would I best best stopping by or staying?

Many Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

My favourite route into Palm Springs is through the desert from Amboy, Twentynine Palms is a quirky military town to see too. Lake Havasu has the (wrong) London Bridge..:)

...but from PHX this makes no sense unless you want to do a huge detour just to drive that old section of Route 66. Otherwise the very southern route 8 has some spectacular sand dunes and the Sonoran Desert National Monument. Salton Sea (google it) is sort of interesting. Joshua Tree National Park is worth a look too.

Now I am a desert freak though and most people find desert driving boring. Yuma is a dump too and the place is crawling with Border Patrol. I think most would just say spend the time in SD unless you really love deserts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Popescu

If you take the old Wickenburg highway (Highway 60) from Phoenix, you will come to Salome, home of the Salome High School Frogs. You cannot beat the burgers at Gus and Angie's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

ironclaw wrote: »
    Just wondering, is it worth seeing? And would I best best stopping by or staying?

I hadn't posted before because I didnt really have anything to say about the place.... but maybe that means something because twenty years in the western USA and I've never been there or heard much about it really. Apart from playing golf I dont think there's any reasons to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Thanks everyone! I don't mind the detour as its actually to avoiding do the same route I did in 2012 (Pretty much the direct inter-state route)

I can't get much info on Palm Springs anyway, so perhaps that is a good call to avoid. I just thought it may be interesting as its kinda the obvious detour route if I didn't want to go direct.

Lake Havasu seems pretty neat but is very much out of the way. Twenty Nine Palms is an option, buts pushing me pretty far north. Palm Springs via Joshua Tree National Park is probably the most realistic but if Palm Springs isn't worth staying in, I don't see the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Popescu

Why not stop for some coffee and a piece of apple pie in Banning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

In case anyone comes across this thread, and is interested in a Phoenix to San Diego road trip, this route is what I was recommended by a few friends:

http://goo.gl/KG8j6Z

It takes in Salton Sea, Slab City, the Anza Borego desert and finally Juliane for Apple Pie. Just as a warning, its a route recommended to do with more than one person as there are some very isolated roads involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Palm springs is ok, I've been there a few times as a base for coachella festival.

There isn't a whole lot to it to be honest, rich old people and middle aged gay people seem to love it. For a couple of weeks in april its overrun by music fans which is the only time I've been

Climate is great in the winter and awful from May to October. April is nearly tolerable.

Advertisement