Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phonewatch/landline/UPC

Options
  • 25-03-2014 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi

I wonder can anyone help me?

Phonewatch was installed in our house 6 years ago when we moved in but over the years I see we have paid almost €2500 for monitoring charges when the alarm has only gone off half a dozen times & they've had to ring us.

We've always thought we had to stay with Eircom for our landline because of the alarm but since Phonewatch is now a standalone company we want to see about moving to UPC for phone, broadband & tv, which means getting rid of our Eircom phoneline.

I want to ask

1) Is it a GSM installer I need to convert the Eircom line to UPC?
    2) Is there any way I monitor my alarm myself (e.g. via texts to my
    mobile phone)?
    3) Are there any other options available to me without costing the
    earth?

Thanks
    Wendy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Wendydowl wrote: »
    Hi

Phonewatch was installed in our house 6 years ago when we moved in but over the years I see we have paid almost €2500 for monitoring charges when the alarm has only gone off half a dozen times & they've had to ring us.

We've always thought we had to stay with Eircom for our landline because of the alarm but since Phonewatch is now a standalone company we want to see about moving to UPC for phone, broadband & tv, which means getting rid of our Eircom phoneline.

I want to ask

mobile phone)?
    earth?

Thanks
    Wendy

Hi Wendy,
    Can you tell us what is the actual make of the alarm control panel that you have?

Other than all those Phonewatch stickers on the panel is there anything else?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

mobile phone)?
    earth?

Thanks
    Wendy

1)Despite what PW tell you you don't need to use a GSM. It will work fine with a UPC land line. In fact many reputable company's will refuse to connect an alarm for monitoring using GSM because of the risks of jamming.
    2) As kub asked, we would need to know what system you have to do that.
    3) For monitoring? Shop around, you were never tied to PW .Many company's will be happy to quote you for monitoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi

I want to ask

mobile phone)?
    earth?

Thanks
    Wendy

All 3 questions depend on the system you have installed. Many of the P.W. systems can be self monitored by using GSM or the UPC you plan to put in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,377 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Can I please piggyback in on this thread?

I'm in the same position, I enquired from PW about switching to the UPC line - they said that since it's a digital line they can't use it, you need an analogue line, so I'd have to install a GSM for the princely sum of €250 :eek:

So my enquiries ground to a halt right there.

I have no reason to believe they're lying/fibbing about the digital/analogue line bit, though - so those who have said that you can use a UPC line can you please advise how that would work???

Also, this is the box I have - can you tell what system I have from that?

alarm box.jpg

I don't even know where the phone is that goes with my phone line, so apart from the alarm monitoring the line is completely redundant. I have a very good value deal from Smart from years and years ago, so it's not costing me - but I was hoping to squeeze a deal out of UPC by taking a bundle and I'm assuming the three-part bundle would be the best value.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Can I please piggyback in on this thread?

I'm in the same position, I enquired from PW about switching to the UPC line - they said that since it's a digital line they can't use it, you need an analogue line, so I'd have to install a GSM for the princely sum of €250 :eek:

So my enquiries ground to a halt right there.

I have no reason to believe they're lying/fibbing about the digital/analogue line bit, though - so those who have said that you can use a UPC line can you please advise how that would work???

Also, this is the box I have - can you tell what system I have from that?

alarm box.jpg

I don't even know where the phone is that goes with my phone line, so apart from the alarm monitoring the line is completely redundant. I have a very good value deal from Smart from years and years ago, so it's not costing me - but I was hoping to squeeze a deal out of UPC by taking a bundle and I'm assuming the three-part bundle would be the best value.

I would put it down to them not having this tested to see if it works. The UPC box provides an analog phone point in your home. I have set up plenty of the Simon systems to contact P.W. plus other monitoring stations using UPC, sent in signals which have all being received.

That is expensive for a GSM, if you want to use GSM the a dualcom is what should be installed, at least this will poll to the monitoring station. Phone lines plus the GSM P.W. use only send in a test call once in 24 hours. Dualcom can be less.

I would ask them to connect your system to the UPC or else move to a company that can do this for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,377 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

altor wrote: »
    I would put it down to them not having this tested to see if it works. The UPC box provides an analog phone point in your home. I have set up plenty of the Simon systems to contact P.W. plus other monitoring stations using UPC, sent in signals which have all being received.

That is expensive for a GSM, if you want to use GSM the a dualcom is what should be installed, at least this will poll to the monitoring station. Phone lines plus the GSM P.W. use only send in a test call once in 24 hours. Dualcom can be less.

I would ask them to connect your system to the UPC or else move to a company that can do this for you.
    Thanks.... I think!

I think I more or less understand your reply - I'm the most untechy person in the world so this stuff needs to be explained to me in words of one syllable.

Is my system a Simon, then? At least if I know that I can start asking around.

Can anyone recommend companies who might offer monitoring from whom I could get quotes? (PM is fine if you don't want to be touting in public)

Thanks, and apologies again to the OP for butting in!

Thanks.... I think!

I think I more or less understand your reply - I'm the most untechy person in the world so this stuff needs to be explained to me in words of one syllable.

Can anyone recommend companies who might offer monitoring from whom I could get quotes? (PM is fine if you don't want to be touting in public)

That is correct, you have a Simon alarm installed. Basically your system can be connected to any monitoring station to monitor the alarm system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭Damien360

Thanks.... I think!

Why don't you try self monitoring. I have my alarm on UPC.

You cannot send texts from the box on a UPC line but the box can call you. That is why alarm watch will not connect to UPC line.

I have mine hard wired (no gsm) to ring me and a list of other people if I cannot be contacted. You set a voice message to go with the call and it tells you which sensor was triggered and to acknowledge the call by pressing a number, otherwise it rings again and then rotates to next on list etc. mine is a HKC model but not sure which one.

This can also be set up on the Simon alarm. It will only ring one number depending on the version installed. Version 4 or higher can ring two numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭paulski999

altor wrote: »
    This can also be set up on the Simon alarm. It will only ring one number depending on the version installed. Version 4 or higher can ring two numbers.

Hi Altor / members,

My folks are on PW years and are moving their Eircom line -> UPC bundle, the PW unit they have is a "Simon" going on previous pic, so my understanding is that on UPC modem you hook up a digital phone, so how can I self-monitor this, as analogue phone line (Eircom) will be dead. The PW unit expects to call PW over analogue line, how do I redirect it over UPC and call me instead (ditch PW in process)? Can I do this myself?

Is there a guide or a how-to to follow?

Many thanks
    Paul

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I sent you a PM re the code.

Open the drop down lid and enter engineer code.
    Follow the flow chart and do the following
    Delete option 04 done.
    Delete option 05 done.
    Delete option 06 done.
    Add option 43 here enter the phone number you wish the alarm to ring done.
    Add option 44 - 10 done.
    Add option 17 - 20, done.
    On option 17 some simon panels want to see 3 digits, so enter 020 as follows
    Add option 17, 020, done.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭paulski999

Att Koolkid,

Many thanks for the instructions, this will allow me to re-programme alarm unit to phone a different number, but if the Eircom line is killed how can I hook it up to UPC line as this is a digital line (i.e. through UPC co-ax) The cable modem has an RJ11 for a digital phone.

Thanks again

paulski999 wrote: »
    Att Koolkid,

Many thanks for the instructions, this will allow me to re-programme alarm unit to phone a different number, but if the Eircom line is killed how can I hook it up to UPC line as this is a digital line (i.e. through UPC co-ax) The cable modem has an RJ11 for a digital phone.

Thanks again

If i may, on the back of the UPC modem unit there are two bog standard telephone outputs. These are actually analogue outputs, the first one is the one to connect to, the second one only matters if you have more than 1 line. So your alarm and wireless phone get plugged into this output.

Here is how we do it with line seizure.
    Get one double RJ 11 socket.
    31jxft0HwnL._SY300_.jpg

1 RJ 11 to RJ11 lead
    316KK-y%2BqmL.jpg

At the rear of the socket wire red/black from socket 1 to line in on the dialler & blue/yellow from socket 2 to line out of the digi.

Connect RJ11 patch lead from Ph1 of the modem to socket 1 & plug the phone into socket 2. If there are other phone connections around the house these can also be connected to socket 2.
    Remember if the power goes off the line is dead. You can put a back up power supply or a UPS onto the modem, however if there is a power cut in the area there is a good chance UPC will be down anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mobile1

Hi folks, I'm totally new to this craic but I was told by a very helpful alarm guy that there might be someone out there that could change my alarm (phonewatch) to work with upc and call myself or a monitoring company so that's it really if anyone can recommend someone that would be great. apologies if I've done this totally wrong.

Most good installers would be able & willing to do this for you.
    Where are you located.
    Why did the alarm guy who told you not do it for you?
    What PW system do you have?

KoolKid wrote: »
    Most good installers would be able & willing to do this for you.
    Where are you located.
    Why did the alarm guy who told you not do it for you?
    What PW system do you have?

Hi koolkid, I'll try someone local so. Yeah the guy was saying he did no phone watch work at all but very helpfully told me I didn't need to fork out for gsm set up which I had been told by PW also their monitoring is more costly and I assume their engineer wouldn't just set it to call me. Still unsure of model its an inter logicthough and wwe're in Dublin 8. Thanks

mobile1 wrote: »
    Hi koolkid, I'll try someone local so. Yeah the guy was saying he did no phone watch work at all but very helpfully told me I didn't need to fork out for gsm set up which I had been told by PW also their monitoring is more costly and I assume their engineer wouldn't just set it to call me. Still unsure of model its an inter logicthough and wwe're in Dublin 8. Thanks

You are correct about PW, the technical knowledge of those who answer the phones is limited, their sole aim is to sell.
    The facts are with any HKC, Simon and some Concord panels which PW have installed, they can all by one means or another be reprogrammed for self monitoring.
    Any alarm system can work with UPC lines. It is a simple matter of connecting the alarm to the bog standard analogue port at the back of UPC routers......anyone else who says otherwise does not know what they are talking about. Note text messaging will not work over UPC lines.

The GSM which PW are trying to sell and all other similar ones can be blocked by a GSM blocker.....just google it, they will soon be part of your average burglars tool kit with the screw driver, balaclava and crow bar.

Hi again koolkid, I must be calling the wrong people. No one seems that keen to touch the PW alarms, from what I can gather from manuals you put up I have a simon PW alarm system from reading the manual briefly I would have thought I'd be able to tackle it if I had the master code but to be honest I'd rather not. Is the master the same code I have to arm/disarm and could I change the number the alarm rang this way?cheers

It's the engineer code you need more than the master code.
    Did I PM you re that?

• Advertisement

Hi kool kid no, I didn't receive a pm any info is gratefully received thanks

Hi again koolkid, I must be calling the wrong people. No one seems that keen to touch the PW alarms, from what I can gather from manuals you put up I have a simon PW alarm system from reading the manual briefly I would have thought I'd be able to tackle it if I had the master code but to be honest I'd rather not. Is the master the same code I have to arm/disarm and could I change the number the alarm rang this way?cheers

You would not need the engineer code to do this.
    All you are simply doing is running a cable from the UPC box to the main Eircom phone point. Disconnect the Eircom line coming in and connect the UPC line to the same cable. Any phones you now have will work on the phone points in your home plus be given line priority this way.

Hi folks, me again, any more assistance greatly appreciated; so I got the code from pw entered and it worked went in deleted the old number entered my own number connected it to the upc box and set the alarm off but no phonecall. Any help would be great, I connected the old cable coming from the alarm to a connector box and put a cable from that to the upc box. cheers

Have you a multimeter to check you have line voltage at the alarm panel from the UPC line.
    Also are you connected to line one on the UPC box?
    I have seen some people connect to line 2 presuming because there is line voltage it will work. Unless you are paying for a second line it won't.

Hi folks, me again, any more assistance greatly appreciated; so I got the code from pw entered and it worked went in deleted the old number entered my own number connected it to the upc box and set the alarm off but no phonecall. Any help would be great, I connected the old cable coming from the alarm to a connector box and put a cable from that to the upc box. cheers

You will also need to make sure you are connected to the line into the panel with the line. If you connect the line in the wrong way you will still get voltage as the alarm is working to seize the line from the live side when you have an activation.

Hi, yes, got the thing working only problem now is won't stop calling me seem to have an issue with a sensor but ran a test and it worked fine. When it calls it just says 'sensor 7 back door alarm, sensor 4 front window alarm', I was up the mountains and out of phone signal when I got back to civilisation I had 54 missed calls seems it rang every 2 minutes. Oh well, I'm sure it's no big deal. thanks everyone for your input.

Hi, yes, got the thing working only problem now is won't stop calling me seem to have an issue with a sensor but ran a test and it worked fine. When it calls it just says 'sensor 7 back door alarm, sensor 4 front window alarm', I was up the mountains and out of phone signal when I got back to civilisation I had 54 missed calls seems it rang every 2 minutes. Oh well, I'm sure it's no big deal. thanks everyone for your input.

You would need to be testing the sensor with a meter to determine if there is a fault. A standard walk test will not show a fault. If you dont have a meter you could disconnect the sensor head and twist the cable together and leave for a few days to see if it is the shock part or the contact that is causing the false alarms.

When the system rings you it is looking for a kiss off to let it know you have received the call. Pressing the star button lets it go through the events then press the hash button to confirm the call. The unit will also ring you when the alarm has being unset by a user after an event.

Advertisement