Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats & Deadlifts

• 25-03-2014 4:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭

Hey Guys

Normally I do squats on a tuesday, tuesday being leg day and all. Im in a work gym so pretty limited in terms of equipment. Thats squats in a Smith machine by the way. I'm looking to introduce dead lifts into my workouts because I've ignored it as an exercise for too long.

Do you do dead lifts on leg day or back day.
    Anyone do squats and dead lifts on the same day.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Back day. Yeah I done them for quite a while on the same day. Don't use a smith machine btw. It forces your body into an unnatural position. Not good at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,670 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Back day. Yeah I done them for quite a while on the same day. Don't use a smith machine btw. It forces your body into an unnatural position. Not good at all.

I'm not a fan of Smith machine squats but a large part of the problem is people put themselves into a bad position to start with. That said, the straight up and down isn't the natural movement.

I've squatted on deadlift day for the last couple of months but not all out. Kept plenty in the tank. If I didn't the deadlift would suffer. But that's just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

Yeah, the smith machine isnt the perfect solution . i'm pretty careful about my position before i get into it though. Maybe I'll try a few squat variations with dumbells.

Alf - can I take it you prioritise the dead lift over the squat?

@Blacktie - I do benching on a Monday, Squats on a Tuesday, maybe another big compound exercise is too much. Good advice . Ta.

If you're only working out two days, I prioritise deadlift over squats on the day I'm deadlifting. But I prioritise squats on another day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

I normally do 3 days, rest on wednesday and then back & sholders on thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Use the smith machine as a leg press rather than squat and you should be ok to try and squat on one is going to end badly as soon as weight starts to increase!
    You can easily throw in a stiff leg dead for ham work on leg day but it can be taxing doing heavy deads with heavy squats!

Squat on a Monday, bench on Tuesday, deadlift on Thursday.

Easy as 1, 2, 3!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

If you're only working out two days, I prioritise deadlift over squats on the day I'm deadlifting. But I prioritise squats on another day.

Really? I prioritise the squat. Or I did when I done them togetrher. If you fail a deadlift you drop the bar so no big deal. Fail a squat you're going down. I understand safety bars and all that but I still would prioritise squat over deadlift. Even if the deadlift is such a fun exercise!

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Really? I prioritise the squat. Or I did when I done them togetrher. If you fail a deadlift you drop the bar so no big deal. Fail a squat you're going down. I understand safety bars and all that but I still would prioritise squat over deadlift. Even if the deadlift is such a fun exercise!

Sorry, I should have clarified. I'd usually squat two other days aside from the day I'm deadlifting. The day I'm deadlifting it's just a primer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I like to Squat and Deadlift on the same day twice per week. Just alternate between light and heavy as per below.

Monday: Heavy Squat
    • Light Deadlift ... focus on technique. Weight is ~60% 1 rep max for 3 sets
    • Heavy Squat ... aim of the day
    • Front Squats ... i.e. assistance
    • Stiff Leg Deads ... i.e. assistance

Thursday: Heavy Deadlift
    • Heavy Deadlift ... aim of the day
    • Light Squat ... focus on technique. Weight is ~60% 1 rep max for 3 sets
    • Front Squats ... i.e. assistance
    • Glute Ham Raise ... i.e. assistance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Squat on a Monday, bench on Tuesday, deadlift on Thursday.

Easy as 1, 2, 3!

chillin on sunday?

chillin on sunday?

WWJD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

WWJD?

WWCDD

82860.jpg

WWCDD

You would think the answer is 'unwind'.