Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running with a dog

Options
  • 25-03-2014 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi just looking for advice or reviews from people who run with their dog and gear they use. I'm a recreational runner with a few marathons under my belt (nothing to serious 3:15 - 3.25). Looking to get back into it but going to have to use my time wisely and incorporate my dogs "walks" into it to keep my wife happy. Long gone are the days when I used to head out for a 16 mile run and not have to explain myself (hence using the dog as an alibi). Any tips in relation to belts, best terrain and in general how not to get killed. The dog is a choc lab so has loads of energy but isn't the brightest. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

Hi just looking for advice or reviews from people who run with their dog and gear they use. I'm a recreational runner with a few marathons under my belt (nothing to serious 3:15 - 3.25). Looking to get back into it but going to have to use my time wisely and incorporate my dogs "walks" into it to keep my wife happy. Long gone are the days when I used to head out for a 16 mile run and not have to explain myself (hence using the dog as an alibi). Any tips in relation to belts, best terrain and in general how not to get killed. The dog is a choc lab so has loads of energy but isn't the brightest. Thanks in advance!

I have two labs that run most days with me. Trained the first one to run alongside me with a lead tied to a gel belt!. When i got a second one she just followed what the older one did. I only run on back country roads with them now though so they are never on a lead anymore. They understand commands like ..keep in ..when a car is approaching. Easier for me in the dark tbh as I can see cars coming along way off. Can only wear headphones in the dark as I need to hear cars in daylight. I dont need to stop running or anything but I need to tell them keep in in case they are more interested in looking in a field. I only take them on runs up to 14 miles as they struggle a bit after this. However there is no rest days for labs so I end up running most days now as opposed to walking them. My wife makes me take them everyday as well so I understand the alibi bit !!..........have to be careful here as she has been known to be on this website!
    One of the two I have would match your description of energetic but not the brightest. The other one though would buy and sell you and I never had an issue with her when she was tied to me running. However when we ever went back walking on the lead she kept pulling like saying come on I want to run. I like ur nothing serious marathon times !! Ur choc lab wont get overweight with your tempo runs !

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Ants Murray

tomred1N wrote: »
    I have two labs that run most days with me. Trained the first one to run alongside me with a lead tied to a gel belt!. When i got a second one she just followed what the older one did. I only run on back country roads with them now though so they are never on a lead anymore. They understand commands like ..keep in ..when a car is approaching. Easier for me in the dark tbh as I can see cars coming along way off. Can only wear headphones in the dark as I need to hear cars in daylight. I dont need to stop running or anything but I need to tell them keep in in case they are more interested in looking in a field. I only take them on runs up to 14 miles as they struggle a bit after this. However there is no rest days for labs so I end up running most days now as opposed to walking them. My wife makes me take them everyday as well so I understand the alibi bit !!..........have to be careful here as she has been known to be on this website!
    One of the two I have would match your description of energetic but not the brightest. The other one though would buy and sell you and I never had an issue with her when she was tied to me running. However when we ever went back walking on the lead she kept pulling like saying come on I want to run. I like ur nothing serious marathon times !! Ur choc lab wont get overweight with your tempo runs !

Good to know that they'll get to 14 miles although I envisage a protest initially! I'll probably need the break. Great advice much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

Bring water and something to put it in, a freezer bag with the top rolled down a few times makes a decent makeshift bowl.
    I've 2 labs and they come with me on trail runs - have a local 3km loop that is quiet so can leave them off lead.
    As above, mine can get to 13/14 miles without wrecking them, having said that I do tend to notice they do there own thing on later laps, one of them even sat down and waited for me to come back around - we went home after that.
    Great exercise for us all - the only thing is they want to go every time I put my gear on.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 meathrunner

I bring my lab running with me along the canal all the time & have done so since he was young. He is no bother and great company to run with. When he gets tired or too hot he goes in for a dip & comes out completely revitalised, I sometimes envy him:):) He is well up for 12 miles of running. He starts his stretching as soon as he sees the trainers coming out:D

• Registered Users Posts: 45 peter65

I found it really helped to train my three labs to work off the lead. I use two commands 'IN' and 'SIT'. The other thing I did was to make them follow me on the run. I found if I let them lead me, then they acted like the alpha and were more difficult to control. By running them this way, I've being able to run on every terrain from main roads to mountain trails and never had an issue yet

• Advertisement
Advertisement