Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running with a dog

• 25-03-2014 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi just looking for advice or reviews from people who run with their dog and gear they use. I'm a recreational runner with a few marathons under my belt (nothing to serious 3:15 - 3.25). Looking to get back into it but going to have to use my time wisely and incorporate my dogs "walks" into it to keep my wife happy. Long gone are the days when I used to head out for a 16 mile run and not have to explain myself (hence using the dog as an alibi). Any tips in relation to belts, best terrain and in general how not to get killed. The dog is a choc lab so has loads of energy but isn't the brightest. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

OP, good one you.

I used to run 5k most nights with my cocker spaniel etc… its great bonding (sound stupid but it is) and great exercise too J

How old is your dog?

For your dog:
    firstly I’d advise you it’s really important to look after your dog’s joints while running, I would recommend you add salmon oil into his diet every day, it will help with the impact of running and it’s great for his coat too… so double benefit etc.. I give mine a good tea spoon so for your guy defo a good tablespoon size, its great for them here’s where I get mine:

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/supplements_specialty_food/hair_skin/more_skin_and_coat_supplements/139892

here are some jogging leads:

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_toys_dog_training/dog_bicycle_baskets/biking_leads/145722

My cocker isn’t the brightest either and very scent driven so couldn’t use one of these or he would dart straight across in my path and kill us both!

I used a normal body harness that clips front (under the neck) and on his back (this helped with him pulling), I would run with him on my right hand side away from traffic at all times etc., after a few nights he got into the groove and knew what to do etc… here’s the ones I use:

http://www.petshoponline.ie/halti-training-lead

http://www.petshoponline.ie/halti-harness-stops-dog-pulling-on-lead

Don’t forget if its dark to get him a visi vest as he’s dark in colour (my cocker is dark too):

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_collars_dog_leads/protection_fashion/saftey_collar/191818

Hope this helps J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Hi just looking for advice or reviews from people who run with their dog and gear they use. I'm a recreational runner with a few marathons under my belt (nothing to serious 3:15 - 3.25). Looking to get back into it but going to have to use my time wisely and incorporate my dogs "walks" into it to keep my wife happy. Long gone are the days when I used to head out for a 16 mile run and not have to explain myself (hence using the dog as an alibi). Any tips in relation to belts, best terrain and in general how not to get killed. The dog is a choc lab so has loads of energy but isn't the brightest. Thanks in advance!

No advice OP, but I like the way you are thinking there.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Op I run 2/3 times a week with a two year old GSD. He wears a light harness for running and I clip a 6 foot leather leash to the center ring mid back, the 'handle' I loop over my thumb and into the palm of my hand for control (some people clip leads to belts or use bungee cords, but I prefer to have contact with my dog)
    If your dog is trainable, I find it's really helpful to train your dog to run on one side, or the other depending on direction ( against or with traffic flow). Some simple commands makes it safer for everyone too. Forward/left/right/go wide (great for any pedestrian who looks nervous or to avoid buggies/other dogs etc)halt and leave it are particularly useful.
    If your dog's not used to running for extended periods (I know you say he has energy, but continual running is a bit different) I'd build the distance up slowly and keep your dog on grass and trail as much as possible. It helps if you give your dog 10 mins of snuffle time before a run, so he can wee or poop if necessary, and I like at least 10/15 mins of a snuffle when we finish too. I usually run where my dog has access to water for a quick drink or a cooling dip.
    My dog runs 10 k regularly, and ran a 16k recently during a particlarly cold snap, although I feel it might be a little long for him and I'd rather keep him to the 10 and under (not that he seemed fazed, but I think he was quite tired on the last 2k, but he knew where we were and he was heading for home at pace).
    Watch your dog's weight too, running puts pressure on all the joints, so the leaner your dog the better. Best of luck, I hope you have as much fun running with your pooch as I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Hi OP,

I don't run with Cooper but here is a link to some Canicross belts etc that are specifically used for running with dogs.

http://www.snowpawstore.com/canicross/canicross-belt.html

http://www.snowpawstore.com/canicross/canicross-harness.html

http://www.snowpawstore.com/canicross/canicross-lines.html

I have ordered from Vicki before (have the Euro short harness) and she is really helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I run 5k to 10k with my Labrador on back roads here in Cavan. She runs off the lead/harness.

I run between 6 and 7 in the morning so we generally don't meet any traffic. If we do, I can hear the solitary car coming because it's so quiet and just call her beside me and stand in at the side of the road.

There's also one part of road I can run on which belongs to a local quarry and doesn't open until 8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

A marathon in 3.15 'nothing too serious' ? ? Man this is a very very good time ! ! !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

falabo wrote: »
    A marathon in 3.15 'nothing too serious' ? ? Man this is a very very good time ! ! !

I was just thinking the very same :eek::o

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Ants Murray

Wow thanks so much for all the replies and advice. It's much appreciated an obviously doable! The dog is just a year old so that was a concern in relation to whether or not his joints were fully formed and developed. He's a heavy dude (all muscle) 45KG so that'll have to be something to consider. Thanks again posters, I'll let you know his 13 mile split soon ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Wow 45kg at 1 year old he must be a huge Labrador? My 4 year old retriever is only 28kgs! 1 year old is imo too young to run with especially for a large breed dog. My retriever pup is 10 months old now and I'm still sticking with the 5 mins walking per month of age to be safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

tk123 wrote: »
    Wow 45kg at 1 year old he must be a huge Labrador? My 4 year old retriever is only 28kgs! 1 year old is imo too young to run with especially for a large breed dog. My retriever pup is 10 months old now and I'm still sticking with the 5 mins walking per month of age to be safe.

True i didnt go running with my guy til he was around two i think...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

Mine is nearly 10 months and weights about 34kgs (just a big guy, not chubby!). How religiously do you stick to the rule? I tend to walk mine for about 45mins to an hour first thing in the morning, maybe another 20 minutes in the evening and then on the weekend he probably gets just one longer walk on sand (1 1/2 - 2 hours).
    When I spoke to my vet about this rule when he was a pup he told me not to worry about being too strict, especially since most of our walks are on sand.

I'm pretty strict with it - I already have one dog with joint/bone problems and don't want another! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

I'm pretty strict with it - I already have one dog with joint/bone problems and don't want another! :p

Do you feed any joint supps? I'm switching our guy over to Eden this week so don't know if I need to.

robocode wrote: »
    Do you feed any joint supps? I'm switching our guy over to Eden this week so don't know if I need to.

No I haven't given her any because she's raw fed so gets lots of bone/cartridge. The other guy get's Luposan pellets from zooplus and a liquid one called Flexicose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Tea Tree

I used to run a lot with my dog . We've both slowed down a bit now :o I used a Manmat belt, bungee lead and harness but could only really use them if running in the woods as she's a terrorist terrier and likes to lunge at cars :rolleyes: and I didnt have much control with that set up. I got the belt as my arm was pulled hither and thither and it was affecting my shoulder and running form... thus affecting all of that side!

one tip I got was to make sure the dog was hydrated so on warm days I would give her some fish or something in water before going out. Running on hot days was a no no... she really struggles with extreme heat so that's something to be wary of coming into summer.
    we still run a bit ... 2-3 miles here and there and she loves it. 11 miles was our longest. Took me a week to recover and the dog could have done it all over again the next day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

I use a lead that goes around my waist for running my dog. She's very trainable to very easy to get her used to it. I found it wasn't fair on her having the lead in my hands and moving up and down sometimes yanking her.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002ZAZLC/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?camp=217145&creative=399369&creativeASIN=B0002ZAZLC&linkCode=as2&pc_redir=1395868207&redirect=true&ref_=as_li_ss_tl&tag=techlicious-20

Advertisement