Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice

Options
  • 25-03-2014 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Alright, so I'm in Canada on a one year IEC. Currently, I'm a tourist visa and just waiting for my CAL.

My boss told me that, without the visa, they couldn't keep me employed, but as long as I got the visa and kept my nose clean, the job would be waiting for me. My previous contract would end when my visa ran out, and a new one would be drawn up once I got it renewed. So, basically take a few months vacation and walk straight back into a paying job. Sweet deal.

Last night I was informed that the company is massively downsizing and my contract will not be renewed. Bit of a kick in the teeth. So now, I'm in Toronto, living off my savings for a while, then going on a job hunt once I get through the IEC process. Before, it was fine because I'd just be going straight back into a job with no worries, but now I'm quite worried, because even though I have savings, they're finite. A few months of paying out without anything going in is going to take a toll.

I'm considering heading back to Ireland until I get the whole thing sorted, but again, that's more money to get there and back, having to find a subletter, and missing out on a few months of making calls and job hunting, I'm not sure what to do.

Help.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Stay where you are. It makes no sense to come home. Lots of money for flights used up instantly, that could be used for rent/networking/job hunting. Stay put and put 110% into finding a new job, starting right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Toronto

I agree with Faith, you're better off staying where you are and networking like crazy to find a new job. Sure some flights home would cost you the same as a month's rent in Canada!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

I would agree too. I came over on the iec last year. The job I'm in now I applied for in early May, I moved in mid-June, got the call the end of June & started work the start of August.

Jobs here move very slowly so is start looking now & act like you've got the visa until you get a job. I couldn't see you getting a job fully sorted before the visa comes through. But at least if you start now you're in the job process.

I was 5 weeks from date of getting wtn to getting my actual visa. I'm sure you'll be something similar. (I applied Jan 29th, had it March 3rd, it was for personal reasons I didn't move until June)

Best of luck with it. Let us know how you get on! :-)

Advertisement