Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running for beginners

Options
  • 25-03-2014 5:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9

How much running in one go is enough / too much for a beginner looking to keep cardio fit?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

2 approaches.
    1 go and run as far as the body will allow. Wake up sore the next day then run again a few days later when soreness goes. Keep doing this until you are running a few days a week for as long as you can without getting sore.
    2 take it handy. Little pain in recovery. Slowly up it to a few days a week.

How much you do is up to yourself and how fit you want to be. Id say less than 3 days a week isnt going to get you great gains. You should be hoping to up to that for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭bambergbike

I'd try running three days a week and sometimes including other gentle activities to shake out your legs on the days with no runs. (The latter will naturally occur in your day anyway, probably.)

I started by running for a mile and walking home. Then running for a mile, talking a walking break, and then running a second mile. Then up to 5k. You might want to try shorter or longer bursts of running - "beginners" begin from different places, so it depends what you feel able for and what you enjoy.

I tried alternating running and walking (run two min, walk 1 etc.) and I just hated it. Once I drop back to a walk, it tends to be a very slow walk. I don't like alternating between running and brisk walking, and I just refused to do it even though it seemed to be the recommended approach in several programmes I looked at. But it might suit you. It must be the reccomended approach for a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

jane82 wrote: »
    2 approaches.
    1 go and run as far as the body will allow. Wake up sore the next day then run again a few days later when soreness goes. Keep doing this until you are running a few days a week for as long as you can without getting sore.
    2 take it handy. Little pain in recovery. Slowly up it to a few days a week.

How much you do is up to yourself and how fit you want to be. Id say less than 3 days a week isnt going to get you great gains. You should be hoping to up to that for a start.

I disagree, I don't think it's a good idea to go out and kill yourself on your first run and be in bits for days. It's like everything else, if you are not enjoying it at the start you are less likely to continue. IMO go easy at the start and slowly discover what you are capable of. You will enjoy it! And as you improve you can start pushing yourself a bit. I'd recommend that you start a trainning log. This forum is a fantastic resource and there are some very helpful folks around these parts.
    ENJOY!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭munkee

In my experience, better to be conservative and do too little at the start and build up than vice versa. My physio dined out on my foolishness. And I thought I was taking it easy.

I'd agree that following a training plan is a good idea. If you haven't done any running lately, I'd be inclined to go with a walk/run program at the outset, like the C25k series.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

I disagree, I don't think it's a good idea to go out and kill yourself on your first run and be in bits for days. It's like everything else, if you are not enjoying it at the start you are less likely to continue. IMO go easy at the start and slowly discover what you are capable of. You will enjoy it! And as you improve you can start pushing yourself a bit. I'd recommend that you start a trainning log. This forum is a fantastic resource and there are some very helpful folks around these parts.
    ENJOY!

Option 2 for you so :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Couchto5kCork

recovery is very important

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

jane82 wrote: »
    Option 2 for you so :-)

:o my bad...

Advertisement