Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice to leave early, poor conditions?

Options
  • 25-03-2014 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Asking for some advice on behalf of a friend.

Situation is she is living in an apartment coming up on two months. Conditions bad, bad windy draught, lots of mold growing in bedrooms, abusive/harassment from neighbour and so forth.

She has paid deposit of a months rent, and month one up front. Due to pay second month soon but wants to leave.

Would it be an option to serve 28 day notice on LL, stating deposit can be used in lieu of paying the months notice rent given the conditions etc?

Basically she really wants to leave the accommodation and hopefully not lose her deposit given the circumstances.

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

You can't legally use the last months rent. It really depends on did she sign a lease or not. You don't really pay rent upfront that is how you pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

I mean to use the deposit to pay for the months rent (28 day notice period) because they should be entitled to deposit back due to conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lurooney

Your friend should ring threshold and they will give her free legal advice and what her rights are as a tenant..i have rented many many houses and i never paid the last month rent i let my desposit cover it but i can you tell now no landlord would get a penny off me if if there was dampness and mould on the walls..its the landlords responsibilty to make sure house free from dampness and up to scratch before he rents the house out

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

lurooney wrote: »
    Your friend should ring threshold and they will give her free legal advice and what her rights are as a tenant..i have rented many many houses and i never paid the last month rent i let my desposit cover it but i can you tell now no landlord would get a penny off me if if there was dampness and mould on the walls..its the landlords responsibilty to make sure house free from dampness and up to scratch before he rents the house out

Agree totally and while i have hated breaking the law on 2 occasions had the property not been so mouldy etc, it would not have been needful to leave and thus to find a new deposit immediately.

One ll had the nerve to complain to the agent that I had left the place "very dirty" when it was three inches deep in mucky water that had bubbled up through stone tiles laid on bare earth. I had scrubbed all the cupboards out etc. Didnt give any notice as as I waded out and thankfully the agent saw the reality and I got the deposit back fast.

Advertisement