Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gluten Free Beers

• 25-03-2014 6:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

I don't want to trawl up any old threads, but I've seen people interested in GF beer on here over the years. Folks might be interested to read this blog which has just put up a review of 20 (!) gluten free beers that can now be had here in Ireland. Seems that the Daas beers come out on top.

http://glutenfreephotos.blogspot.ie/2014/03/the-gluten-free-beer-blog.html

19Beers.jpg

Beers tested:

Crabbies Original Alcoholic Ginger Beer
    Crabbies Spiced Orange Alcoholic Ginger Beer
    Crabbies Raspberry Alcoholic Ginger Beer
    Crabbies Strawberry & Lime Alcoholic Ginger Beer
    Hollows & Fentimans All Natural, Alcoholic Ginger Beer
    Mongozo Premium Pilsner
    Celia Gluten Free Lager
    Estrella Damm Daura
    Mikkeller I Wish Gluten Free IPA
    Daas Blond
    Daas Ambre
    Against The Grain
    Nick Stafford’s Hambleton Ales GFA
    Nick Stafford’s Hambleton Ales GFL
    Green’s Premium Pilsner
    Green’s Discovery
    Green’s Supreme Golden Ale
    Green’s  Blond Ale
    Green’s Amber Ale
    Green’s Dark Ale

Personally, I was very surprised at how many there were. Hope this comes in handy for some people!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It has come up in the beer forum. What I found interesting was that some guy on a site bought gluten testing kits and tested lots of commercial brands and many while not stating they were gluten free, could have legally called themselves gluten free as they were below the threshold.

Now recipes change around the world but if you are a regular drinker of a certain beer it would probably pay to get a test kit, as the GF beers are usually very expensive and not as nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

rubadub wrote: »
    It has come up in the beer forum. What I found interesting was that some guy on a site bought gluten testing kits and tested lots of commercial brands and many while not stating they were gluten free, could have legally called themselves gluten free as they were below the threshold.

Now recipes change around the world but if you are a regular drinker of a certain beer it would probably pay to get a test kit, as the GF beers are usually very expensive and not as nice.
    saw that link also and really interesting

big win for me was corona - love it

think coors light tested really low in gluten also

I also wondered if there could be a beer technically high in gluten which may not be problematic. e.g. guinness and other dark beers are made with roasted grains, I was wondering if this roasting could render it less "active", just like I imagine someone who has a yeast allergy might be affected by 10g of live vigorously fermenting yeast, than 10g of sterile old yeast which could not actively ferment again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭coffee to go

rubadub wrote: »

Interesting, went off and had a look at the home-test approach on gluteninbeer.blogspot.com.

I dunno, as a coeliac myself, I would be more trusting of a certified GF beer coming out of a regulated production environment than testing a 'regular' beer myself. You'll notice that the review panel in the above blog are mostly non-coeliacs and the beers were reviewed on their standalone qualities.

I've had a couple of the Green's beers, and for me they tasted better than a lot of the big commercial non GF beers, so I'm happy to pay a little extra. I agree with the blog that Estrella is pure muck too, and has given GF beers a bad name.

agreed with the estrella and although not a coeliac i always feel far better after drinking a few low gluten or gluten free beers versus the german or belgian beers i used to love.

Corona and a nice whiskey or burbon for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

They are big on the low carb beers here in Oz.
    One i'm loving is a zero carb beer by burleigh brewing company

http://burleighbrewing.com.au/beers/bighead/

colman1212 wrote: »
    They are big on the low carb beers here in Oz.
    One i'm loving is a zero carb beer by burleigh brewing company

http://burleighbrewing.com.au/beers/bighead/
    what!!

The fu$k is that witchery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Transform wrote: »
    what!!

The fu$k is that witchery

Huh?

I don't really get how it can be zero carbs when it has malted barley & hops... Are they not carbs?!

Huh?

I don't really get how it can be zero carbs when it has malted barley & hops... Are they not carbs?!
    The yeast feed on the sugar/carbs and turn it into alcohol. In many beers this fermentation is not complete so you have residual sugars, some sugars are unfermentable. Pilsner beers are usually brewed right down, so little sugar remains, you can get a higher % from the same amount of original grains too. Most pilsners are higher % and so can be higher calories than other beers, but per unit alcohol they are typically less.

"light beers" can have enzymes added to turn the unfermentable sugars into fermentable ones, so lower carbs and lower calories per unit alcohol. That big head beer " age-old craft brewing techniques" is probably invovling adding newly developed enzymes...

It probably does still have carbs but can be called zero legally, just like non alcoholic beers have limits.

Miller released a "light beer" here which was only abouut 4%, they called it a pilsner, probably so men would not be put off drinking it, just like they came out with pepsi max etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Huh?

When it comes to alcohol, having a carbs source in the in raw ingredients doesn't mean carbs in the end product. The goal is to convert starch & sugar (ie carbs) to alcohol. Certain styles of beer are naturally low carb. Is assume the beer above is brewed to convert as much as possible, the remove the remainder.

• Advertisement
Advertisement