Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair questions.

Options
  • 25-03-2014 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, I'm new to this website and I just have a few questions.

I've had my hair dyed in the past and I was thinking about doing it again. I have naturally auburn hair and was thinking of going blonde for a few months this summer.

The last time I dyed my hair was four years ago. I dyed it blue, green, black and even leopard print (Yes, I did go through that phase) however I didn't need to bleach it. A few months later I wanted to ombre my hair so bleached the bottom 20cm of my hair and dyed it blonde. It grew out over the space of a year but didn't fade.

I guess my questions are:
    1. Will I need to bleach my hair to get it blonde?
    2. If I bleach it will it fade or just grow out?
    3. If I do bleach it and dye it and want to dye it back to my original colour after a few months could I use a box colour to dye it?
    4. Will I have an issues with getting my hair to the original colour again?

I plan to do it myself at home and really would appreciate some pointers if anyone has any. Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I wouldn't really advise home bleaching, I did it myself for nearly 10 years and although I was careful my hair was in bits. I have an auburn tone to my hair naturally and perhaps because of this I always had a 'brassy' tone to my hair when I dyed it blonde.
    When I got really sick of my blonde hair I used a box colour to attempt to dye it back to my natural colour. I ended up with a very strange, dull result.
    In my opinion/experience, box colours work best when you're not looking for a radical colour change. My best results have been when I've just gone one or 2 shades darker/redder than my natural tone.
    I'm not sure what sort of colour result you're looking for but I'd say the kindest thing for your hair would be highlights done by a professional. That way you can vary your look without wrecking your hair with all-over bleaching etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sparts

dee_mc wrote: »
    I wouldn't really advise home bleaching, I did it myself for nearly 10 years and although I was careful my hair was in bits. I have an auburn tone to my hair naturally and perhaps because of this I always had a 'brassy' tone to my hair when I dyed it blonde.
    When I got really sick of my blonde hair I used a box colour to attempt to dye it back to my natural colour. I ended up with a very strange, dull result.
    In my opinion/experience, box colours work best when you're not looking for a radical colour change. My best results have been when I've just gone one or 2 shades darker/redder than my natural tone.
    I'm not sure what sort of colour result you're looking for but I'd say the kindest thing for your hair would be highlights done by a professional. That way you can vary your look without wrecking your hair with all-over bleaching etc.

Would really recommend you you getting it done by a good hairstylist/colourist. Some salons need models for classes to train there junior staff, you would pay a a reduced price, good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭emz8

If you have auburn hair and bleach it its going to go orangey/yellowy. If you then go over that with a home colour it will look quite matte and probably uneven as the hair will be quite damaged from the bleach.

Would defo get it done in a salon. As the previous poster said you can get it done for half the price in a school. They usually do just as good a job, just takes longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 orlaghd

A lot of people I know have gone to salons and had major issues with their hair from bleaching (hair falling out, colour fading etc) so I would be a bit worried about that. The last time I bleached it it didnt turn orangey/yellowy. It actually turned out really well.

Advertisement