Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Fault

Options
  • 25-03-2014 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

Hi

Can you please help with fault ref 12214968?
    Last weekend we started getting noise on the line and the broadband speed has dropped from a rock solid 12Mb to less than 8Mb.  I logged the fault on Monday and today we received a voice mail to say the line is fine and to try another handset.  Eircom fitted an ADSL faceplate during the last fault so the problem is nothing to do with the handset.
    The fault is not fixed and I'm unsure where to go from here.

Regards
    J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

jspuds wrote: »
    Hi

Last weekend we started getting noise on the line and the broadband speed has dropped from a rock solid 12Mb to less than 8Mb.  I logged the fault on Monday and today we received a voice mail to say the line is fine and to try another handset.  Eircom fitted an ADSL faceplate during the last fault so the problem is nothing to do with the handset.

Regards
    J

Hi jspuds

From what I can see the max speed your line can hold is up to 8MB. I've run tests on the line itself and I can confirm that there are definitely no issues on the line itself. It seems quite odd that you were able to get faster speeds previously as all tests I have run show no scope in increasing your speeds further that 8MB. I understand you are on an up to 24MB package but speeds are based on what the line can physically hold and all tests are showing your speeds are currently reaching the maximum potential the line can hold.

The best advice I can further offer is to contact t technical support directly on 18902690260 or through the new web chat service here: www.eircom.net/about/contact

Thanks

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

Hi

Regards
    J

Hi jspuds

From what I can see the max speed your line can hold is up to 8MB. I've run tests on the line itself and I can confirm that there are definitely no issues on the line itself. It seems quite odd that you were able to get faster speeds previously as all tests I have run show no scope in increasing your speeds further that 8MB. I understand you are on an up to 24MB package but speeds are based on what the line can physically hold and all tests are showing your speeds are currently reaching the maximum potential the line can hold.

The best advice I can further offer is to contact t technical support directly on 18902690260 or through the new web chat service here: www.eircom.net/about/contact

Thanks

Al
    Hi Alan

Thank you for the reply, 
    We have had 12Mb for years with a SNR of around 6-7 but since last weekend speed has dropped under 8Mb with a SNR of around 6.
    Also there is noise or a kind of echo on the line since the weekend as well.   The fact that we have an ADSL faceplate makes me convinced that there is something wrong with the line and not the phone or router.  I replaced the cables last night and will try a different router this evening.
    I'm disappointed with the responses that I have received so far and fear this will be an uphill battle to get anywhere with Eircom other than the standard response of your line is fine. 

I had a look back on my boards messages and found this from Mark in Eircom on 14 March 2011 as I was asking if I could get any more than 12Mb on my line

I was speaking to managers in broadband technical support and they staded that your line is set at a 13MB profile. The 12MB speeds you are getting is the best the line can handle. The ran a quick test and they are certain that any increase will result in disconnections.

Thanks, Mark

I'll try Tech support later but don't have much faith in getting anywhere.

Regards
    J

Hi

Regards
    J

Hi jspuds

Thanks

Al
    Hi Alan

Thank you for the reply, 
    We have had 12Mb for years with a SNR of around 6-7 but since last weekend speed has dropped under 8Mb with a SNR of around 6.
    Also there is noise or a kind of echo on the line since the weekend as well.   The fact that we have an ADSL faceplate makes me convinced that there is something wrong with the line and not the phone or router.  I replaced the cables last night and will try a different router this evening.
    I'm disappointed with the responses that I have received so far and fear this will be an uphill battle to get anywhere with Eircom other than the standard response of your line is fine. 

I had a look back on my boards messages and found this from Mark in Eircom on 14 March 2011 as I was asking if I could get any more than 12Mb on my line

I was speaking to managers in broadband technical support and they staded that your line is set at a 13MB profile. The 12MB speeds you are getting is the best the line can handle. The ran a quick test and they are certain that any increase will result in disconnections.

Thanks, Mark

I'll try Tech support later but don't have much faith in getting anywhere.

Regards
    J

Rang Tech support last night and they agree to sent out an Engineer.  Engineer arrives this morning and says your line is only capable of 8Mb.  
    Huge job to get him to bother his hole and even try and get the line back to 12Mb.  He gets on the phone and gets the line up to 10.5Mb and says that's all he can do as in a hurry.  I tell him I'm not happy as something wrong as not getting what I had and he basically says nothing more he can do.

I'm so annoyed with Eircom they don't give a **** about their customers or their service.

Alan can you please contact me as I want to make a complaint?

Regards
    J

Finally got my speed back to 12Mb.  Took 3 phone calls to tech support and 3 engineers visits before they swapped out the ADSL faceplate which fixed the problem.  Throughout the whole time Eircom get saying that 8Mb is all the line can take and only for I wouldn't accept that insisting that I consider the speed drop as a reduction in service did they eventually fix the problem.

BTW thanks for nothing Alan and the rest of the Eircom boards team.

Finally got my speed back to 12Mb.  Took 3 phone calls to tech support and 3 engineers visits before they swapped out the ADSL faceplate which fixed the problem.  Throughout the whole time Eircom get saying that 8Mb is all the line can take and only for I wouldn't accept that insisting that I consider the speed drop as a reduction in service did they eventually fix the problem.

BTW thanks for nothing Alan and the rest of the Eircom boards team.
    Hi jspuds

I'm glad to see this has been resolved and apologise for the inconvenience this experienced had caused. I had been advised that the max speed was 8MB however this was obviously incorrect and I apologise for this.

Al

• Advertisement

Thanks Alan for responding. 
    My comment was probably a bit unfair but was frustrated as had to keep ringing and arguing in order to get my speed back and was looking for some help on this fourum to fight the system from the inside.

Thanks Alan for responding. 
    My comment was probably a bit unfair but was frustrated as had to keep ringing and arguing in order to get my speed back and was looking for some help on this fourum to fight the system from the inside.

No worries jspuds

In fairness I can understand the whole experience can be frustrating. Let me know if there is anything I can help with in future.

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement