Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MotorStorm - 'Making Of' articles

• 25-03-2014 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I wrote this article, its 1 of a 3 part series. Maybe its a useful insight to people interested in game development.

http://www.team-aozora.com/2014/03/motorstorm-behind-the-tracks-part-1/

If you have any questions let me know.

I don't use boards.ie much so apologies if I'm breaking some sort of rules(?) by posting this article. Let me know and I can fix any issues.

smooches,

-Ivan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Kyotokid

Well this is odd, I want to post a link to Part 2 of this article but apparently I need to have 50 posts in order to post links.

What an odd place. Let me try a work around...

ww.team-aozora.com/2014/03/motorstorm-behind-the-tracks-part-2/

guess what you need to do to view the page :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Nice read.
    I couldn't help thinking though...
    Could you just have put a couple of cameras on the vehicles themselves for the crash cams?
    Switch them on during replays or something.
    Collision with trees and rocks could be avoided, maybe with some nifty code to raycast from cam object to object normals and move cam in a direction like up, unless up is blocked then move to next direction on the list. Or even just away from the first normal it hits that is not the ground or a vehicle and is within a certain range.
    Seems like a ton of work placing all those cams! Enough that some complicated coding to use less without placing them, might be worth while.

The screens look good for the levels. And it's always nice to read about the issues developers have.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Kyotokid

Yeah that would have been nice. The code team was stretched (to put it lightly).

I've fixed me pore inglish in the article add a few little details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Yeah that makes sense. I know myself when planning some mechanic, the people who don't code a lot of the time don't realise just how long a very simple thing can take to code.
    For every 3d person or artist, I would want 2 coders haha.

Advertisement