Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Specific Wireless LAN Adaptor needed for Blu Ray Player?

• 25-03-2014 7:43pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I need a quick bit of help.

I bought a Panasonic DMP-BDT130 BluRay/DVD player on special offer last week. You can access the internet/Netflix etc on it but it's not wireless, you need a dongle. I have a dongle and assumed this would work but it's not. The message on screen says...
    "Please connect compatible Wireless LAN Adaptor (DY-WL5).

I've searched online for said adaptor and it doesn't seem to be available anywhere. Have I been diddled by PC World with this special offer or is there some other sort of dongle I can use? Or should I just return it and pay a tiny bit extra for the one with wireless capabilities?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The manual says you can only use the DY-WL5 dongle so you need to bring it back. Were you told that you could use any old Wi-Fi dongle? Wouldn't surprise me if that's what they told you, anything to close the sale!

Techradar said the following about that model....

If you're desperate for Wi-Fi you should head up the range and go for the Panasonic DMP-BDT230 instead, because even if you do buy the Panasonic DY-WL5 USB wireless dongle, it's poor value and will look terrible permanently poking out of the front of the player.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/blu-ray-players/panasonic-dmp-bdt130-1175123/review

Next time do the research and always remember that virtually everything they sell in PC World or Currys is last years model or even older - it's all about the margin so they snap up old stock and sell to people who don't know any better.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I didn't go in with the intention of buying, I was just browsing and ended up buying. Stupid, I know. I should have realised the guy was a chancer when he answered all my questions by taking 5 minutes to read what it said on the sign beside the machines and then repeating back to me what I'd already read.

I asked him was this one wireless, he looked at the sign and said no. Some of them needed a cable connection for internet, some dongles, so I asked him if it was a dongle, he read the sign and said yes. He never specified a particular type of dongle. It's my own fault really. It didn't come with a HDMI cable either, which is apparently common but I didn't know that and he never told me so I had to go the next day and buy one of those. If I had to go and but some bloody expensive dongle now too it'd end up costing me way more than I was planning on spending.

I realise writing all that out that I'm a big idiot for buying from someone who clearly hadn't a clue what he was selling. Is there anywhere sells electrical goods where the staff actually know what they're talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Is there anywhere sells electrical goods where the staff actually know what they're talking about?

Even if they guy you're dealing with does know the feeds and speeds, you have to remember that they are incentivised to sell, sell, sell and they go out of their way to get you to buy the high margins add-ons like antivirus s/w and extended warranties.

I'm very surprised that they didn't try to sell you an expensive 'gold-plated' HDMI cable with the Blu-Ray player, that guy you dealt with must be really dumb.

With all of the data online, I wouldn't listen to a word from a shop floor sales guy. If I'm tyre-kicking browsing in a large electrical retailer and I see a salesguy bearing down on me, I usually start looking at the cables and adapters on the accessory rack, they quickly bugger off and lose interest in me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

coylemj wrote: »
    Even if they guy you're dealing with does know the feeds and speeds, you have to remember that they are incentivised to sell, sell, sell and they go out of their way to get you to buy the high margins add-ons like antivirus s/w and extended warranties.

I'm very surprised that they didn't try to sell you an expensive 'gold-plated' HDMI cable with the Blu-Ray player, that guy you dealt with must be really dumb.

With all of the data online, I wouldn't listen to a word from a shop floor sales guy. If I'm tyre-kicking browsing in a large electrical retailer and I see a salesguy bearing down on me, I usually start looking at the cables and adapters on the accessory rack, they quickly bugger off and lose interest in me.

I was smart enough to do a bit of research myself on HDMI cables before I went to buy one so I was grand there. There were €130 ones sitting next to €20 ones. I didn't even ask for help with them but I'm sure they would have tried to sell me the more expensive one.

Thanks for your help anyway, I'll just take it back and do a bit of research into it before I go looking again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

Just an idea , but if you buy a range extender ( €30 ish ) you can use its ethernet port and add some extra wifi to the room...

>Sol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭AndersKP

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I need a quick bit of help.

I bought a Panasonic DMP-BDT130 BluRay/DVD player on special offer last week. You can access the internet/Netflix etc on it but it's not wireless, you need a dongle. I have a dongle and assumed this would work but it's not. The message on screen says...
    "Please connect compatible Wireless LAN Adaptor (DY-WL5).

I've searched online for said adaptor and it doesn't seem to be available anywhere. Have I been diddled by PC World with this special offer or is there some other sort of dongle I can use? Or should I just return it and pay a tiny bit extra for the one with wireless capabilities?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi,

The blu-ray player is still current and a solid performer regarding video processing and boot up time.

With regards to wiring you best bet is always hard wired. You can pick up power line adaptors now for next to nothing. More compact and will deliver the most stable connection.

Advertisement