Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bms

Options
  • 25-03-2014 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever come across some decent info on understanding building management systems strategy?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I assume you mean the "control philosophy" for a BMS system?
    What is it that you are interested in the BMS controlling ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

I work in an environment that uses bms to control ahus etc,I know the basics but I'd just like a better understanding of it I suppose,was just wondering was there anything out there,thinking about it it's probably better to get a better grasp on. Hvac??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Anyone ever come across some decent info on understanding building management systems strategy?

Johnson Controls have a good training institute, plenty of decent material out there if you look about. Most BMS houses are really scabby with training materials, unless you are an approved integrator.

Also used to be some good US HVAC forums with good info-can't remember names as I'm out of the business for a while now-google FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

Its basically a relay system with a fancy display.

If you're familiar with PLC's it's along the same lines. And/Or gates ie. If the room sensor senses occupancy or the AHU is scheduled to come on, it comes on.

The BMS controllers themselves are ordered up on their IO capabilities ie. Inputs - sensors, switches etc or Outputs - relays, contactors etc

So in the above case the occupancy sensor and the timer are Inputs & the contactor switching the AHU is the output.

The next step on that system would be CO2 sensors & Temp Sensors to control the percentage of fresh air entering the system. Again, these would be wired as Inputs.

So if the Temp is to low the BMS will say to leave the damper 100% closed, giving full recirc.

If the CO2 is to high, the BMS would open the damper 100% giving full fresh air.

If the Temp & CO2 we both ok the BMS would have the AHU at 50% recirc.

(Take the above example as a very basic breakdown)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Cheers lads appreciate the info!thsnks for taking the time

• Advertisement
Advertisement