Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best network to buy Iphone 5s

• 25-03-2014 8:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi all, could anyone tell me which is the best network to buy an iphone 5s on? Currently with meteor but quoted me over 500euro to upgrade!!

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

DonFred wrote: »
    Hi all, could anyone tell me which is the best network to buy an iphone 5s on? Currently with meteor but quoted me over 500euro to upgrade!!

Cheers

Have you check around their websites, as you're presumably looking for the best price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Buy from apple. No contract. Get a 48 months sim. 20€ a month unlimited mobile calls and texts and away you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Yeah was thinking of buying SIM free as it works out way cheaper in the long run.

Yeah was thinking of buying SIM free as it works out way cheaper in the long run.

I've done this with all iPhones. By buying from apple direct the after sales service is much better too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Is it straight forward to just pop a sim card in and go? If i go for it it be the most expensive gadget I bought!!!But just have this urge to buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

MrMac84 wrote: »
    I've done this with all iPhones. By buying from apple direct the after sales service is much better too

Support is the same regardless of where you buy an iPhone.

guil wrote: »
    Support is the same regardless of where you buy an iPhone.

No when you buy in the shop you deal with them which adds time onto everything dealing with apple is much quicker.

Is it straight forward to just pop a sim card in and go? If i go for it it be the most expensive gadget I bought!!!But just have this urge to buy it.

Yup

No when you buy in the shop you deal with them which adds time onto everything dealing with apple is much quicker.

You can use apple. I have never bought an iPhone direct from apple but have got a 4 and 5 replaced by apple support.

You can use apple. I have never bought an iPhone direct from apple but have got a 4 and 5 replaced by apple support.

Well my other half had one on contract from a supplier and when she had speaker issues after 3 months she contacted apple and was told go into the shop where she bought it. She was without her phone for close on 3 weeks. The buddy sent his off too apple ( they supply box bag and courier etc and was 3 days!

• Advertisement

Look back through different threads here. It's one of the reasons everyone say how great apple support is. They will repair/replace any iPhone if you bought from them or from a network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Buy from apple. No contract. Get a 48 months sim. 20€ a month unlimited mobile calls and texts and away you go.

Seriously, who cares about Network texts anymore.

Data is the key, how much Data is in that package?

murpho999 wrote: »
    Seriously, who cares about Network texts anymore.

Data is the key, how much Data is in that package?

5gb's. 3€ on the site then for more If you run out. I've never run out and I'd be online a lot everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭MagicBusDriver1

48 months is not great for data speeds. I moved from 48 to Vodafone and would not consider going back.

48 months is not great for data speeds. I moved from 48 to Vodafone and would not consider going back.

I find the speeds great too be honest maybe because I'm in the city. I was with Vodafone for 15 years no way I'd go back!

48 is capped at either 1.5 or 2mb

For speed?

For speed?

Yes. Admittedly it should be a little better now but it's still not great compared to other networks.
    http://community.48months.ie/t5/Techie-Updates/Faster-data-speeds/td-p/14395

Yes. Admittedly it should be a little better now but it's still not great compared to other networks.
    http://community.48months.ie/t5/Techie-Updates/Faster-data-speeds/td-p/14395

Well I find no issues with what I use it for sky sports sky news journal boards etc

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Grealish123

I'm looking to buy an iPhone 5S. Just wondering why I should buy it off Apple directly. It costs €699 to buy from Apple directly with no contract. Whereas, if I buy it from Vodafone I can get it for €199 paying €35 per month for texts, calls and data. Just wondering why people are recommending to buy directly from Apple? Thanks, also if people could suggest the best contract to take - I'm not a heavy user of data etc. and mainly will use the phone for taking pictures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I don't think it is capped anymore, at least not at that level. 2 months ago did a test in a weak signal area on my gf's phone and she was getting 10mb's down on 48.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Speeds are poor with 48 but for 20 a month it's manageable.

I can stream Sky Go decently most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I'm looking to buy an iPhone 5S. Just wondering why I should buy it off Apple directly. It costs €699 to buy from Apple directly with no contract. Whereas, if I buy it from Vodafone I can get it for €199 paying €35 per month for texts, calls and data. Just wondering why people are recommending to buy directly from Apple? Thanks, also if people could suggest the best contract to take - I'm not a heavy user of data etc. and mainly will use the phone for taking pictures.

What kind of call, text & data allowance does that plan come with? It may look good at first glance, but afterwards you may find your bill coming in significantly higher than €35 per month.

McGrath5 wrote: »
    What kind of call, text & data allowance does that plan come with? It may look good at first glance, but afterwards you may find your bill coming in significantly higher than €35 per month.

All depends on the individual. I recently moved to Vodafone and got a 5s free on red super I think. It's unlimited calls and texts and 6 gb data plus 500 international mins and texts. For me it's perfect cos I use the phone an awful lot and have family in Australia.

I was on emobiles top plan for €84 a month with €10 discount for having eircom bb. My bills were rarely under €95. Now with Vodafone I'm getting it all on for €75 a month.

I was on emobiles top plan for €84 a month with €10 discount for having eircom bb. My bills were rarely under €95. Now with Vodafone I'm getting it all on for €75 a month.

How long is the contract for? By buying from apple and usen 48 my 5s costs me 940 for the first year. Your Vodafone deal (assuming you get the phone "free") is 900 BUT I cannot go over my set fee per month. I bet theres months peoples bills come in a lot higher then they thought.

As for talking too people abroad I've family in Oz and lived in Greece aswell so I speak too these people a lot via whats app viber snapchat skype etc etc

It's a 2 year contract and I can get another phone for free if I give this back to them in a year or pay a fee and get a fee to get the upgrade early.

I've rarely used any apps for talking cos my brother never bothered with a smart phone. That's why the free international calls is a big bonus for me.

It's a 2 year contract and I can get another phone for free if I give this back to them in a year or pay a fee and get a fee to get the upgrade early.

Ok so say after first 12 months your €40 better off then me assuming you don't go over your useage any time in the 12 months when roaming etc.The second year then I save €660 quid over you as it's just €240 in credit for me but your yearly bill is €900. €660 savings is Nearly the price of the phone I prefer my set up no contracts etc and if someone beats this deal I can move but each too there own

whiterebel wrote: »
    I wonder how the sanctimonious posters on here would feel if that car jams on on the motorway, injuring or killing friends or relatives who are driving behind them and don't see any brake lights?

Huh?

Presume that was meant for the motors thread about a car with no brake lights.

I'd rather be sim free but I just don't have €700 spare to buy an iPhone from apple so one on a contract suits me and my usage perfect.

• Advertisement

Just looking at 48. You're not comparing like for like really. That €20 offer includes 60 mins of landline calls. Whilst it probably suits you perfect it isn't like for like.

Advertisement