Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outrageous Prices ??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

Alanvtec wrote: »
    Quick bit of backround info, im buying a house (3 bed semi D ) in an estate of about 40 houses.
    The estate was built about six years ago but like all builders ran into problems trying to sell the last six houses at the original price. So three houses were left unfinished completely on the inside, no first fixing or anthing done.
    They were put on the market then in September of last year at a significantly reduced rate (240,000 6 years ago to nearly Half price) and I was one of the lucky ones to acquire one of these. Here is where the problem starts.
    I had a few extras I wanted done to my house while the "builder" (developer as he has told me) was doing the work so I met him two weeks ago and we discussed things I wanted done and he said he would get back to me with prices, now bare in mind that this house is totally bear on the inside so some of the work he would have to do anyway.
    These are the prices I was quoted,

Attic Space 57m2
    • One layer of 100mm insulation €200
    • One layer of 200mm insulation (error credit back €200)
    • Additional 200mm joisting €412
    • Floor attic Space in 3/4inch ply €580
    • Relocate cold water storage tank €190
    • Fit stira stairs or similar €240
    • Light in attic space €130
    €1752
    Plumbing
    • Gas supply to cooker €350
    • Supply & Fit 300 litre hot water cylinder
    • Fit Solar panels (client to supply panels and all material
    up to the hot water cylinder)
    • Pump for power shower
    • Fit power shower (client to supply power shower) Material €1970
    €2,320

Electrics
    • Two double sockets €140
    • Tv Point €100
    • Telecom Point €92
    • Energy efficient recessed lights
    living room 12no. x 43 €516
    Hall 7no x 43 €301
    Toilet 2no. x 43 €96
    Dining room 9no. x 43 €387
    Kitchen 6no. x 43 €258
    €1,890

Door
    • From the utility to swing open into the kitchen

I mad or are these prices over the top completely.

I think the price is fine. Those who talk about braking down in man hours has to think about architect and engineer fee, pay for certificate of compliance QS etc. This is not a small repair job it's new build so has to comply with all regs. Electrics and plumbing are expensive, they didn't drop the costs and Building regs. help them to keep busy. And no builder will go do the job for less than 140e a day true the books, because You can't compare with cash jobs. You can make 12e/hour working in Aldi, why will you wanna pay for tools, van, insurance and work 8-10 hours a day on site, than 2-4 hours at home pricing and calculating for 100 a day???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

240 is very expensive for an attic stairs. Have seen them on sale for 99 euro and there is a lad I know fits them for 50. Price around.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

maryishere wrote: »
    240 is very expensive for an attic stairs. Have seen them on sale for 99 euro and there is a lad I know fits them for 50. Price around.

No its not.

How long do you think a €99 stairs is going to last. ... and who's going to warranty it...Your €50 "lad" .?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

@Alanvtec the builder is not making much money with those prices. You will not get that work for that value or convenience again.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,648 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

do you expect it "fitted" for free???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

i believe the Mod post above that:
    BryanF wrote: »
    we are a tax complaint forum
    applies to this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Boskowski wrote: »
    Irish service industry attitude at its best here.

Seriously OP ask for a breakdown of man-hours and material. Much more difficult to add loads of 'fat' this way.

How dare you, Im Scottish! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

Breakdown of materials and man hours You can ask to QS, they will give You almost exact amount of materials and work required, but You will have to pay. If quote is free, than You only can see the price and description of work and materials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

galwaytt wrote: »

How long do you think a €99 stairs is going to last. ... and who's going to warranty it

should last as long as everything else in the house, seeing as how it will not be used very much...being an attic stairs. The builders providers where I saw them say they have a warranty and have had none back. I guess the shops / providers must make very little on these special offers they do now and again.

Surely the Light in the attic space at €130 is a bit steep in this day and age when getting lots of other work done as well? Depend on the part of the country I suppose. If a sparky can get it good luck to him. I guess its going to cost more in D4 , because of traffic / access / cost of living in Dublin than in parts of the country where you can get a grand apartment for 30k.

Advertisement