Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's it like to go to GMIT

Options
  • 25-03-2014 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I will possibly be attending GMIT from next September if everything goes well and I'm just wondering what is it like to attend GMIT?

Is it lively enough around the main Galway campus?

Are the lecturers friendly?

And does anyone know anything about the PAL thing?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

It's a grand college. People are great and the lecturers are lovely.

Main campus is fairly busy Monday to Thursday and people don't really turn up on Fridays/go home.

Lecturers are dead on once you make the effort and turn up for classes.

PAL is an optional subject, at least when I did it. Basically you get to know your class and get taught by fellow students. Seems to be worth going to if you'd like to teach a class yourself at some stage.

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Thanks for the reply!

I'm happy to hear its fairly busy during the week haha!

Is there many correlations between GMIT and Secondary school?

Not a lot. Nobody is holding your hand so it's up to you to turn up and hit the books. No parent teacher meetings etc. Everything is there for you but the library is not as busy as it should be.

Thanks for the reply! :)

I've no idea what college is like haha! Is it like from 9-5 or can you come and go during the day when you want?

That might be a stupid question :P

Depends on what course you do. You'll have breaks/short days/days off depending on what your timetable looks like. Not a 9-5 Monday-Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

You should have gone when it was an RTC

• Registered Users Posts: 14 NckD

I dont want to come across as some old timer wizard with a three foot beard, but i can still remember the huge change of leaving school, with bells and assemblies and being told to sit down / be quiet etc, and then arriving in college and.... nothing. Everyone seems to just drift about.

You cant put an old head on young shoulders , so banging on about taking responsibility for yourself and getting yourself to classes might not get through, so ill just say from my experience, it is unbelievably easy to drop out. First your just missing a minute or two of a lecture while you finish your coffee, then your writing off lectures cos its nine on a friday, then your missing full days because its Johnnos 21st down the pub, then you've missed half a week, and sure, ill make up for it next week. Only next week is a bank holiday and Thursday is an open day......

You need to be practical. Even if you chain yourself to the desk Thursday night to write the paper for Friday, you'll get a hundred text msgs all night and be daydreaming about what your missing. Get it done Tuesday, and you can happily spend thursday night stealing traffic cones or whatever students do nowadays.

Also Ive only good things to say about GMIT, with the only slight drawbacks being having to do a suicidal dash across the road to catch the bus into town, and sometimes theres god awful dance music blasting away outside the canteen for various events

Christ almighty, I'll be chasing kids off my lawn next.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

NckD wrote: »
    I dont want to come across as some old timer wizard with a three foot beard, but i can still remember the huge change of leaving school, with bells and assemblies and being told to sit down / be quiet etc, and then arriving in college and.... nothing. Everyone seems to just drift about.

You cant put an old head on young shoulders , so banging on about taking responsibility for yourself and getting yourself to classes might not get through, so ill just say from my experience, it is unbelievably easy to drop out. First your just missing a minute or two of a lecture while you finish your coffee, then your writing off lectures cos its nine on a friday, then your missing full days because its Johnnos 21st down the pub, then you've missed half a week, and sure, ill make up for it next week. Only next week is a bank holiday and Thursday is an open day......

You need to be practical. Even if you chain yourself to the desk Thursday night to write the paper for Friday, you'll get a hundred text msgs all night and be daydreaming about what your missing. Get it done Tuesday, and you can happily spend thursday night stealing traffic cones or whatever students do nowadays.

Also Ive only good things to say about GMIT, with the only slight drawbacks being having to do a suicidal dash across the road to catch the bus into town, and sometimes theres god awful dance music blasting away outside the canteen for various events

Christ almighty, I'll be chasing kids off my lawn next.

Well said.

Thanks everyone for the replies,

I'll definitely be keeping up with lectures if i get in, sure what else would I be doing :P

I thought that it was like school and they give out to you for not coming in haha! - shows how uneducated I am about college.

I was in Galway at the weekend and took the bus out to GMIT and I have to agree about crossing the road! I literally saw a bus pass me by before I was able to cross the road hah! They should really install some sort of pedestrian crossing!

Anyone know anything about Gleann Na Ri? Do many people live there? I don't want to live somewhere that's too mental or too quite.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Well, depending on the course there may be some marking based on attendance for certain classes, so they can give out to you there :P

I think the main thing stopping them from putting in a crossing there is how close it is to the traffic lights just down the road, so adding in another stop for motorists would probably piss them off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 monyca

Hey :)
    I'm from Spain and I'm probably studying Tourism Management in Gmit next year. I'd like to know some opinions about people that is studying it or wants to.
    I have a question too, where is the best place of accommodation for first and second year students? I'd like a place that is near to Gmit and there is people that like to have fun but also a nice place.

Thank you all

monyca wrote: »
    Hey :)
    I'm from Spain and I'm probably studying Tourism Management in Gmit next year. I'd like to know some opinions about people that is studying it or wants to.
    I have a question too, where is the best place of accommodation for first and second year students? I'd like a place that is near to Gmit and there is people that like to have fun but also a nice place.

Thank you all

You dont need to ask twice.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭FlushEk

Hopefully i'll be heading to GMIT. Only thing i am worried about is living with people with no banter. Any other worries for people attending GMIT in September? :)

FlushEk wrote: »
    Hopefully i'll be heading to GMIT. Only thing i am worried about is living with people with no banter. Any other worries for people attending GMIT in September? :)

People who say banter is a major concern of mine.

Is 'fun' better? 'craic'? lol can you expand your concerns for the word 'banter'? :confused:

#banter is commonly used by the severely damaged readership of Joe.ie I find.

#banter is commonly used by the severely damaged readership of Joe.ie I find.

Unliked that page a long time ago. No banter there lmao ;)

FlushEk wrote: »
    Is 'fun' better? 'craic'? lol can you expand your concerns for the word 'banter'? :confused:

Four months to come back with that! The people using the word banter are my major concern.

Four months to come back with that! The people using the word banter are my major concern.

Well i don't really use Boards.ie :p but ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Generally good facilities, but unlike most Technical Institutes, it no longer has a gym onsite as of this summer for reasons unknown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭gtrizy

jamesdiver wrote: »
    Generally good facilities, but unlike most Technical Institutes, it no longer has a gym onsite as of this summer for reasons unknown.

You sure? didn't look to be closing down last year, having said that though I went to the Renmore Kingfisher instead. If it is closed down it might have to do with the new SU building they're gonna construct across the road, that will have a new ''state of the art'' gym according to the flyers they gave around towards the end of last year after they got planning permission. Not sure when construction starts though.

gtrizy wrote: »
    You sure? didn't look to be closing down last year, having said that though I went to the Renmore Kingfisher instead. If it is closed down it might have to do with the new SU building they're gonna construct across the road, that will have a new ''state of the art'' gym according to the flyers they gave around towards the end of last year after they got planning permission. Not sure when construction starts though.

Not for a long time so i doubt thats anything to do with the potential closure of the gym, which i do find very strange, its well used from what i see.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Pizarro

Not for a long time so i doubt thats anything to do with the potential closure of the gym, which i do find very strange, its well used from what i see.

The SU/college doesn't have the money to keep it open *cough* moxegen costs about 40 grand and doesn't turn a profit *cough*

Is this the small gym upstairs in the hall? Thought everybody used the gym down the road instead.

Pizarro wrote: »
    The SU/college doesn't have the money to keep it open *cough* moxegen costs about 40 grand and doesn't turn a profit *cough*
    Connacht Tribune is running with this story today on FB. What a shock, more SU mismanagement, bunch of clueless goons running it imo. How can you fail to make profit at a small time gig with cover bands? They cant even sort a decent bus to and from exams.

Advertisement