Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on wifi extending

Options
  • 25-03-2014 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hello, I'm not sure if this the right section to post this but how and ever.

Here's the situation, my router is on the ground floor, my ps3 is in the attic. I'm always losing connection on my ps3 when gaming. Is there anyway of getting an ethernet connection up to the attic without drilling through the floors. A second router or something I'm not sure.

I know there's wifi repeaters and boosters but they'll still give the same problem I'd imagine. Sorry I'm not too up to speed on all this stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Paul74910

Id like to know the same and if you can get wifi extenders and they work wirelessly, do they take away from wifi speeds?

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Hello, I'm not sure if this the right section to post this but how and ever.

Here's the situation, my router is on the ground floor, my ps3 is in the attic. I'm always losing connection on my ps3 when gaming. Is there anyway of getting an ethernet connection up to the attic without drilling through the floors. A second router or something I'm not sure.

I know there's wifi repeaters and boosters but they'll still give the same problem I'd imagine. Sorry I'm not too up to speed on all this stuff.
    Yes easily, you need power line adapters. Argos sell them for €33, have the same pair and they work excellent.

http://www.argos.ie/ProductDisplayTRK019?partNumber=1439175

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

THERES powerline adaptors that transmit, wifi, so you can use say more than one device ,
    rather than a just ps3 on an ethernet cable.
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/tp-link-300mbps-av500-wifi-powerline-extender-starter-kit-8S6W.html

2. Connect additional adapters to PCs/laptops/Internet TVs or other networked devices via an Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi - and you're done!
    *Recommended: Press the pair buttons for network security and data encryption.

Argos might have them in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,282 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Powerline adapters are usually what I'd reccomend in your situation. Similar scenario is when a customer wants to get from one diametric end of the house to the other, etc.

I never became an expert in the tech, to say I've never used it. So I don't know how effective the buggers are if theyre not on the same circuit or just connect to the same circuit breaker box, etc.

THEY give a very fast signal,
    like as if you are near the router.
    They normally work fine in an average 3 bed house,

some large houses , HAVE more than 1 electrical circuit ,
    which means they only work in certaiin rooms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Wayne Cochran

riclad wrote: »
    some large houses , HAVE more than 1 electrical circuit ,
    which means they only work in certaiin rooms.

Every house, since God knows when, has more than 1 socket circuit. These powerline yokes will work across different circuits in a lot of cases, if I'm not mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Every house, since God knows when, has more than 1 socket circuit. These powerline yokes will work across different circuits in a lot of cases, if I'm not mistaken.

Yep, they work across RCD's. They don't work across phases though.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭WeirdoFreak

Cool, the powerline adapter is exactly what I'm looking for, thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 83,282 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yep, they work across RCD's. They don't work across phases though.

im no electrician: whats the limitation of that? Does that mean anywhere in my house; but say if I'm in an apartment block can I extend my network access to a different apartment in the same building?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Most of our electricity works across 3 phases with individual metering. In a converted house its possible that your neighbours could pick up on the unencrypted default network created. I think most apartment blocks would have enough distance and interference between the house circuits, the meter and the other apartments for it not to be a issue.

• Advertisement

IF you using wifi you should have a password , wpa2 encryption on.

Advertisement