Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

career break

Options
  • 25-03-2014 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi guys
    applied for my career break for the following year and approved by bom but things have come up personal emergemcy and im unsure if I can now take it. Just wondering if anyone knows if you can revoke it after the cut off point of april 14th. I know ut is down to the discretion of the principal. We have a new one that arrived this year seems to know nothing in relation to them. When I asked him about it. He said he had never heard of anyone taking one in his time which I thought was quite strange. Has anyone experience with this in the past
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

roxychix wrote: »
    Hi guys
    applied for my career break for the following year and approved by bom but things have come up personal emergemcy and im unsure if I can now take it. Just wondering if anyone knows if you can revoke it after the cut off point of april 14th. I know ut is down to the discretion of the principal. We have a new one that arrived this year seems to know nothing in relation to them. When I asked him about it. He said he had never heard of anyone taking one in his time which I thought was quite strange. Has anyone experience with this in the past
    thanks

It has happened in my school and with job shares too. People changed their minds around may and jobs wouldn't be advertised till June in our school

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

As far as I know you can....depending on your principal obviously...we had a guy who applied 3/4 years in a row, got approved but never actually took it ???

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭blueberrypie

I am on a career break this year.
    I am going on memory here, you can ask for your job back up to July in exceptional circumstances.
    (I did not receive anything in writing from the dept. I was trawling through websites trying to get this info).
    I am open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭awny

is it possible to apply for a career break mid-year to commence mid January?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Not afaik

Apply before february. Starts in september. Must be for the whole year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

I think you can in exceptional circumstances but even though you might only start in January it's considered as 1 year. You can take 5 years in a row then must come back for 5 years for example before you can take a further 5 years. Max allowed is 10 years. http://www.asti.ie/pay-and-conditions/leave/career-break-leave/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

roxychix wrote: »
    Hi guys
    thanks
    He never heard of anyone taking a career break???

Advertisement