Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 V Tv

Options
  • 26-03-2014 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi have Bluediamond 22 " full hd led 12 V power consumption;33W can I plug direct into the 12 v leisure supply have been used only when plugged into 220 V mains.
    Thanks Sean

Comments

Nope...or yes but you'll damage it sooner or later with your leisure battery charger or low SOC. Your 12v leisure supply is actually a 10.5v to 16v range.
    Get a 40w (or higher) buck/boost 12v regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 gerryt50

I bought a 22" Bluediamond tv dvd combo last year. When hooked up on campsites I use the 240v but when mains power is not available I run it off the leisure battery with a home made lead to connect it to a 12v socket.
    I have run it off the leisure battery several times but never while the engine is running,

Yeah you can do that as long as you have no chargers connected and keep it inside the device rating (usually 12.4v), lower is less destructive than higher. Also means you need an eye on an accurate-to-circuit voltmeter.
    Gets expensive if you make a mistake though, even if you don't the current levels may be increased beyond the component spec in a low voltage situation. I've blown an awful lot of electronics in my time. It's a sickening feeling watching your €'s escaping the device vents in a sad piffle of smoke.

Careful with the DIY leads, if you inadvertently reverse the polarity it's goodbye tv (centre positive usually).
    These days I put a diode on the -ive of croc. clamps as a reverse polarity protection.

There's cheaper reg.'s available than the amperor I just wasn't bothered searching.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 reflexsean

Thanks all. Looks like I need regulator if I were to use a inverter would it use more amps and just be inefficient and need a bigger battery bank
    regards Sean

Depends on the efficiency of the inverter and the tv transformer, also alternatively the voltage drop on your 12v supply line and the efficiency of the DC reg.

On a stock set-up I'd expect a ~20% higher efficiency on a DC reg over an inverter. You could probably get it as high as 45% on the right cable compared to a bad inverter/traffo setup.
    Example here

So on a 33watt TV lets say that's the max inrush current so speculating it runs at about 25W on an 80% efficient inverter and a 90% efficient traffo = 35W (2.8A @ 12.5v) continuous
    or on DC with 5% transmission loss and a 90% efficient reg. (probably higher on a 12v reg. from a 12v source) = 29W (2.3A @ 12.5v)
    Give or take.

You can of course get a more efficient inverter or a less efficient traffo. Mega-big-bucks for a super efficient inverter compared to a DC reg. though.

In defense of the inverter it's more versatile and cost versus efficiency starts to win the dispute once you upscale outside of a camper, distance from the batteries is the bottleneck.
    MSW inverters are generally more efficient than true sine but crap at induction and anything that uses the AC frequency as a time signature. The power factor is never where it ought to be.

As regards needing a bigger battery bank, how complicated would you like the answer? :pac:

• Advertisement

Thanks Sir Liamalot for the info just had 800 W inverter and was wondering how it would work and have only one battery at the moment would one more be sufficient
    Sean

Depends on what you use, how long for, how many chargers you have, how well they work, how much autonomy you need and some other factors.
    Tbh on a good battery a difference of 0.5A won't make a huge difference. Simple answer is take her for a spin if you hit 12.2v before you want to come home then get another battery or some solar or both. If your current battery is more than 2 year old then I'd sway in favour of solar until you want to get a new pair. Best keep batteries the same/similar age and service life.

Depends on what you use, how long for, how many chargers you have, how well they work, how much autonomy you need and some other factors.
    Tbh on a good battery a difference of 0.5A won't make a huge difference. Simple answer is take her for a spin if you hit 12.2v before you want to come home then get another battery or some solar or both. If your current battery is more than 2 year old then I'd sway in favour of solar until you want to get a new pair. Best keep batteries the same/similar age and service life.

Hi sir Liamalot thanks info will look into solar
    Sean

Advertisement