Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of repeating 5th year

• 26-03-2014 3:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 10 katy b

hi,
    I am a leaving cert student considering repeating 5th year because i have missed alot of time due to illness, is it possible to still repeat? I know some of you will recommend go ahead and do the exams but i don't want to fail and disappoint my family. I will be returning to school tomorrow but i am worried i have missed to much time to catch up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 katy b

thank u, ehh i am in 6th year now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you have been ill you can repeat a year with the appropriate medical letters etc., but if you are in 6th year now, are you not talking about repeating both 5th and 6th year? That would be two years and less likely to be allowed.

I am thinking about dropping back to 5th year now and then i want to go to yeats next year to do my leaving cert. would this be allowed?

ok, but i know i am not going to get it this year so maybe if i drop back now and the i could learn off the correct material for example the sraith pictures and othello

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭vcshqkf9rpzgoe

Would you not just repeat 6th year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Yeats is nearly 7 grand a year so bear that in mind. You have 2 months to the exams you may as well have a go at it now and you might surprise yourself and get your course. Unless you have very good negotiation skills I don't think they'd allow you to go back to fifth year.

yes your right, but because yeats is so expensive i will need to get a part time job now to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dee15

I missed 3 months of 5th year because I was sick and repeating was the best thing I ever did! I never went into 6th year though before I repeated, so I can't help you in that way. I can't imagine the stress you're under now, I know the decision was really hard for me! Good luck! :)

hi, i got the letter from my doctor to drop back and i am going to talk to the principal any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 4 clodagh96

I'm currently repeating 5th year and honestly, it was the best decision I've ever made. I too missed loads of time in 5th year due to illness. I also suffered with depression (still do) so I found my work really hard and failed a lot. This year though, I'm doing so much better and get good grades, so I'm confident that I'll do well in my LC next year and get into college. Do it- it'll do you the world of good, I promise. You just have to work harder than you did last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 UnicornRainbow

clodagh96 wrote: »
    I'm currently repeating 5th year and honestly, it was the best decision I've ever made. I too missed loads of time in 5th year due to illness. I also suffered with depression (still do) so I found my work really hard and failed a lot. This year though, I'm doing so much better and get good grades, so I'm confident that I'll do well in my LC next year and get into college. Do it- it'll do you the world of good, I promise. You just have to work harder than you did last year.

Did you do TY? I'm thinking of repeating 5th year and I did TY and was wondering if there are other people who did TY who repeated 5th year

Advertisement