Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused about when to buy

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭leelee77

lolosaur wrote: »
    your looking at north county Dublin which is more stagnanty than south county.

Buy if you can and dont worry about 5 grand +-.

only concern is you are buying with your wallet.

Are you looking to get on a ladder or are you looking for a place to call your own.

house prices will be going up in the next 5 years. blips along the way, sure but there will be a steady rise as rents overtake mortgages and it it is cheaper to buy than rent.
    People are starting to save again and soon deposits will be acquired, mortgages approved and prices invariably rising.

My main advice would be to get a time machine and go back to march 2012 when prices were lowest and buy then.

Alternatively, stop looking at stupid polls and ddecide what your budget is. what you can afford and where you want to live. If the right house is there, go for it. if not, i suggest you go rent. Dont buy a house for the wrong reasons.

You probably will.

and i will say i told you so.

I won't buy a house for the wrong reasons. I am very clear on the type of house I want and if the finances stack up I won't be hanging around. I don't and wont let polls dictate to me. Just wanted some opinions.

Nice to hear you will be waiting in the wings to say 'I told you so' if I do make the wrong decision. Whatever makes you tick!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

leelee77 wrote: »
    I won't buy a house for the wrong reasons. I am very clear on the type of house I want and if the finances stack up I won't be hanging around. I don't and wont let polls dictate to me. Just wanted some opinions.

Nice to hear you will be waiting in the wings to say 'I told you so' if I do make the wrong decision. Whatever makes you tick!!!!

More often than not he'll get the say it though. Hopefully you'll be in the minority and make the prudent choice!

Sure there's no need to worry anyway, if you're not prudent you can just stop repayments. There's no downside, in fact you'd probably get rewarded for it with a write off or lower mortgage interest rate.

Eldarion wrote: »
    More often than not he'll get the say it though. Hopefully you'll be in the minority and make the prudent choice!

Sure there's no need to worry anyway, if you're not prudent you can just stop repayments. There's no downside, in fact you'd probably get rewarded for it with a write off or lower mortgage interest rate.

I won't be purchasing above my means. I am a homeowner in the UK. Have the place for the past 10 years. I didn't buy above my means 10 years ago when I had no children so won't be now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

opinion/advice.....

How much are you looking to spend and narrow down the area.
    What type of property have you in mind?

lolosaur wrote: »
    opinion/advice.....

How much are you looking to spend and narrow down the area.
    What type of property have you in mind?

€280,000
    Skerries
    3 bed house

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Eldarion wrote: »
    Alright :)

Year on Year positive % change have increased over the last 3 months.

Dec 2012 vs Dec 2013 increase of >6%
    Jan 2013 vs Jan 2014 increase of >6%
    Feb 2013 vs Feb 2014 increase of >8%

Trending indicates going forward it will cost you ~10% more buying this year than if you had bought in the same month last year.

:)

This chart shows that disco music has gone up in 1977 and 1978. If these trends continue...heeeeey!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

they were ill advised to make such judgements then as are you now.

Yeah probably. I'm just making a point that you can spin it just like the media.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

€280,000
    Skerries
    3 bed house

you wont really go too far wrong with that.

If you can get one at 260,000, great. if you are in 20k negative equity the day after you buy it, will that be terrible? in 4 years time, maybe its in 30k equity. The house will always be worth the bricks and mortar, it wont be worth only 120k overnight. Not in skerries anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ted1 wrote: »
    fixed your post
    Keep it constructive. Refute posts, don't edit quotes of them.

Advertisement