Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Age???

• 26-03-2014 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Is 19 years too old to sit the Leaving Cert? If I have to repeat, then I will be 20!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I was 19 when I done my leaving certificate back in 99. Between starting school later than my classmates and taking an optional 4th year in another school, most of my class mates were 17 at the time. Cue last year where I returned to college as a mature student. I found alot of my classmate were 19 starting.
    At this stage I think 4th year is a lot more common. Right now you might be a year or so older than your classmates. Try to get through your leaving certificate this year and get the best result you can. Repeating is something that should not be on your mind till after you have got your results for your exams this year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is no age too old to sit the Leaving Cert..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Billiethepup

Angel973 wrote: »
    Is 19 years too old to sit the Leaving Cert? If I have to repeat, then I will be 20!

19 Too old?!! Plenty of peeps in their 20s (and older) are repeating for high points courses. If you go to a grind school to repeat you won't be even close to the oldest so don't worry. If you want to repeat just do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Actually know that I think of it. A friend of my moms went and done her leaving cert in some adult college. Lady was not young either. She would have been 65 give or take a year when she went and passed her exams. Nobody will be paying any of attention to how old you are repeating the leaving cert particularly if repeating in a private school. They will be too busy getting it right second time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭dmc17

Definitely no such thing as being too old to sit the leaving cert. There's more of an argument for some people being too young to sit it. Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

No, I did it at 17 and it was stupid. I would much rather be going into college at 19/20 than 17/18.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dee15

No it's definitely not! I'll be 19 sitting my leaving cert in June!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Angel973

Thanks for all your messages. Much appreciated.

Advertisement