Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free to Air v Free Sat

Options
  • 26-03-2014 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi Guys, out of the loop on this a while so apologies if this is psoted somewhere, can someone explain simply the differnce between Freesat and Free to air and the pros and cons of both for a potential customer based in Dublin of both systems?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

A Freesat box will support basic FTA, but not the other way around.

On a freesat box Freesat channels are limited, have predefined channel numbers, have a full 7-day EPG and on PVRs have dynamic progam time recording and series link. They also auto-retune each night if channel frequencies change.

FTA has now/next programs at best, no series link and if a program time changes you could miss it with a PVR. You will have to retune regularly.

I would always choose Freesat over FTA

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Johnsee

Thank you, If I go with a Freesat box will i have to get a seperate box for terrestial TV? Does a Freesat box have the capabilty of connecting to one or more satellites with two LNBs...ie Astra 1 (19e) and Astra 2 (28e).... ?Is their much differnce in the cost of FTA box and Freesat box?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

Johnsee wrote: »
    Thank you, If I go with a Freesat box will i have to get a seperate box for terrestial TV? Does a Freesat box have the capabilty of connecting to one or more satellites with two LNBs...ie Astra 1 (19e) and Astra 2 (28e).... ?Is their much differnce in the cost of FTA box and Freesat box?

A modern TV will digital terrestrial built in so no no need for a separate box. Only Humax Freesat boxes have the capability of connecting to several LNBs in non Freesat mode. It is accessed via a (not very) secret menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

If I go with a Freesat box will i have to get a seperate box for terrestial TV?

As winston says above if you have a digital TV a separate terrestrial box is not required unless you require a terrestrial PVR.
    Is their much differnce in the cost of FTA box and Freesat box?

http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/. Have a look at the rh column for a guide to UK prices for Freesat basic zapper and PVR boxes.

There are a few Irish sites doing FTA sat receivers such as Powercity, tvtrade.ie, satworld.ie, satellite.ie,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There are no combo boxes for Freesat, however Samsung and others do an expensive TV that includes built in Freesat and terestial (brilliant picture quality). I have one and find the switch from Freesat to aerial a bit clunky requiring many button pushes but wifey manages so not too bad.

I have had Freesat for many years and it is great - always retuned any changes with no intervention; and with epg for 7 days with (near) faultless series link. FTA does not do any of this.

Go Freesat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The basic difference essentially is that "free to air" is a generic term that applies to any satellite services not encrypted. Freesat is a brand name, owned by the BBC & ITV, that applies that a particular specification of free to air receiver with a proprietary EPG which covers channels mainly aimed at the UK (& Ireland - though Freesat receivers are not officially available here) on the Astra group of satellites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

icdg wrote: »
    The basic difference essentially is that "free to air" is a generic term that applies to any satellite services not encrypted. Freesat is a brand name, owned by the BBC & ITV, that applies that a particular specification of free to air receiver with a proprietary EPG which covers channels mainly aimed at the UK (& Ireland - though Freesat receivers are not officially available here) on the Astra group of satellites.

The term free to air box in itself is a misnomer. Most satellite boxes these days (of the non branded Freesat variety) are built for FTA and subscription TV as most come with Common Interface card slots. Obviously Sky are now deploying card and box marrying techniques to have people keep their card in the box. ONe or two other European "broadcasters" also do same. But not all, at this moment in time.

Also re Freesat, the Freesat software also has an autoretune feature as the Freesat API talks to the Network Information broadcast over satellite and adjusts itself in the event of frequency shifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

There are no combo boxes for Freesat,

Will there ever be one or does copy write prohibit this.

What about those Humax etc combo boxes, do they just have a similar epg and auto updating etc features like the Freesat boxes.

I need something idiot proof for the OH or blood will be spilt (mine):D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The Freesat brand precludes the inclusion of terrestial receivers that will allow a combined EPG.

The nearest you will get is a TV that has a Freesat receiver built in. Samsung, among others, make them but they are clumsy to change over, the Country=UK has to be set so they are not Saorview approved when in that mode, and any change to the Saorview is a pain to cope with.

So no Freesat combi.

Advertisement