Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

public liability insurance for a child?

Options
  • 26-03-2014 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Hi

Is there such a thing as public liability and personal cover for a child who is not in school? If the child goes to a creche, he would be covered during the day, but what if anything happens at the weekend?

My parents take the kids in the summer, they live in France, the question of insurance arises too, what happens if the child injures someone or is involved in an accident?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I know I've looked at this before in research terms and personal liability cover is generally not something that insurance companies in Ireland offer because there's very little demand for it.

Home insurance often covers 3rd party damages and personal damages outside of the home though, so it would be worth discussing with your insurer if they offer this, and if so does it cover children too.

However, you may just have to ring around the various insurers and see if they offer any products that work for you. Personally, I don't think it's something worth worrying about/paying for, but each to their own.

Travel insurance may cover your children abroad for 3rd party liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Personal public liability under your household policy covers ALL family members.

But your question is unclear. Why would a child need public liability cover? And no they wouldn't be covered at a creche. A creche covers its own public liability and if they are negligent at law the policy acts. But i'm not convinced that is what you are asking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

peteb2 wrote: »
    Personal public liability under your household policy covers ALL family members.

But your question is unclear. Why would a child need public liability cover? And no they wouldn't be covered at a creche. A creche covers its own public liability and if they are negligent at law the policy acts. But i'm not convinced that is what you are asking about.

Thanks for your answers

When my parents asked me about public liability insurance for the kids, it made me realise that since my youngest is at the creche, he is not covered by the school insurance like my eldest is.
    I didn't know the home insurance covered public liability. I still need to look for the terms and conditions when they are minded by the grandparents abroad

The need seems a bit unclear to you because the home insurance in France doesn't cover for personal liability, it's a separate one.

A child would need to be covered in case they are involved in an accident. Say the child pushed someone in the stairs, resulting in that person breaking a leg? I now know that in Ireland, the home insurance would cover that, but not abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

It wouldnt cover them abroad with your grandparents.

Again I think you are overthinking the need for this. The school covers personal accident and possibly pupil to pupil liability. Different kettle of fish.

Bad example to give - someone pushing someone down the stairs is a deliberate act and wouldnt be covered by an insurance policy. I would think that you would find it unlikely that a child would be sued by someone that they pushed down the stairs. Nor would I think most solicitors would take a case against the parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

A minor is not responsible at law for their actions, so they don't need public (personal) liability

Comprehensive household policies cover the personal liability of family members who normally reside in the home, so that will cover adults etc

When your children are with their grandparents, they would be classed as visitors (given it is not their usual residence), so your parents policy would look after their responsibility to your children just like any other guest provided French insurance policies are similar to here and I don't know that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

oldyouth wrote: »
    A minor is not responsible at law for their actions, so they don't need public (personal) ....

France, like most of Europe, has civil law and not common law as in Ireland, this makes all the difference, because parents can indeed be held financially responsible for the actions of a child.

OP, your parents should seek legal advice in France on their responsibilities and ensure that they have the appropriate insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Jim2007 wrote: »
    France, like most of Europe, has civil law and not common law as in Ireland, this makes all the difference, because parents can indeed be held financially responsible for the actions of a child.

OP, your parents should seek legal advice in France on their responsibilities and ensure that they have the appropriate insurance.

I never said they couldn't, that's why I mentioned that the adults have personal liability cover on their insurance here and this would include negligence in the supervision of their children

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Thanks everyone for your answers

My example was maybe incorrect: when I said 'pushing another child in the stairs', I meant it could happen that when kids chase each other, one bumps into the other, the later falls, etc... No ill intention there but a simple accident. It happened to me as a child, I broke some teeth and the child's parents had to use their personal liability insurance to cover for the costs.

As advised by Jim2007, I'll ask my parents to contact their own insurance broker to include the kids for the summer. Thanks

Advertisement