Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    So the only disadvantage I see of not having kinect is missing out on the Record That feature!

Actually just tried it there, you have to have the kinect connected to even launch upload studio so they will have to patch that out for recording to work without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

deco nate wrote: »
    Hold the start button on the xbox for ten seconds, it will clear the cache

Tried that many times. Doesn't fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Tried that many times. Doesn't fix it

I always find the twitch app very finicky.If you say snap twitch it appears but there's no writing or nothing.The only way to get it working is to open it from Home and even then sometimes it might takes about a minute to get goin.

On a side note i'm finding that the supposed "saved" clips from the record that feature don't save.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭dor83

calex71 wrote: »
    Actually just tried it there, you have to have the kinect connected to even launch upload studio so they will have to patch that out for recording to work without it.
    Are you sure? My conole hasn't been detecting my Kinect for a few weeks and I think I can still go to the upload studio, I haven't tried to record anything as it's too much hassle and interrupts the game but I can go to it and view/edit all my videos. It's actually head wrecking when I'm playing FIFA and it automatically records a simple save but won't record some of my best goals.

Also, I have both of the games with gold for June and also have Dark Souls, Played Halo for all of about 10 mins and got bored but quite enjoyed Max.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

This is all very interesting. My guess is that Microsoft will probably drop the price further later in the year as well, possibly in the run up to the holiday season.*

As badly as Microsoft has handled all this, it is still impressive when a company recognises a problem, and acts to fix that problem. Of course, with the amount of problems that Microsoft has had with the Xbox One, they have had plenty of opportunities!

Overall though, with the changes that Microsoft has made company wide, I have to say that I think they will now run Sony a close second, instead of a distant second.

*if you go back on my boards history, you'll find me confidently predicting that Microsoft would never unbundle the Kinect, so..... take what I suggest with a pinch of salt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

CatInABox wrote: »
    This is all very interesting. My guess is that Microsoft will probably drop the price further later in the year as well, possibly in the run up to the holiday season.*

As badly as Microsoft has handled all this, it is still impressive when a company recognises a problem, and acts to fix that problem. Of course, with the amount of problems that Microsoft has had with the Xbox One, they have had plenty of opportunities!

Overall though, with the changes that Microsoft has made company wide, I have to say that I think they will now run Sony a close second, instead of a distant second.

*if you go back on my boards history, you'll find me confidently predicting that Microsoft would never unbundle the Kinect, so..... take what I suggest with a pinch of salt.

I thought they would never unbundle the Kinect also. I expected they would release an Xbox One with no disc drive to lower the price to compete with the PS4 and also convert customers to digital downloads.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I thought they would never unbundle the Kinect also. I expected they would release an Xbox One with no disc drive to lower the price to compete with the PS4 and also convert customers to digital downloads.

I still think that they'll do that to be honest.

I wonder will they announce a $350 Xbox One without Kinect and disk drive at E3? Thus saving the "good" surprise for E3.

I still think that they'll do that to be honest.

I wonder will they announce a $350 Xbox One without Kinect and disk drive at E3? Thus saving the "good" surprise for E3.

Think we'll see a bigger hard drive first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Surely the cost 'saving' of removing the disc drive would be offset by the cost of a the truly gigantic HD that digital only would entail? At 50GBs per game. Including media and OS.

You would surely needed a 2TB plus HD for any sustainability.

One dashboard getting an overhaul to better suit controllers :)

http://www.xboxachievements.com/news/news-18102-Xbox-One-User-Interface-Will-be-Redesigned-to-Suit-Controllers.html

Hopefully they will bring back something like the functionality of the 360 guide button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

calex71 wrote: »
    One dashboard getting an overhaul to better suit controllers :)

http://www.xboxachievements.com/news/news-18102-Xbox-One-User-Interface-Will-be-Redesigned-to-Suit-Controllers.html

Hopefully they will bring back something like the functionality of the 360 guide button.

Wouldn't this have to happen anyway now that the Kinect is optional as a lot of the navigation of menus etc. was dependent on the Kinect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Wouldn't this have to happen anyway now that the Kinect is optional as a lot of the navigation of menus etc. was dependent on the Kinect.

Or they could allow voice commands through a headset?

quad_red wrote: »
    Surely the cost 'saving' of removing the disc drive would be offset by the cost of a the truly gigantic HD that digital only would entail? At 50GBs per game. Including media and OS.

You would surely needed a 2TB plus HD for any sustainability.

Depends on your broadband situation more than anything else, I'd say.

I'd be completely fine with a digital only Xbox One, as I'm on 70 mb broadband, but even if I wasn't, I'd probably be okay with it as well.

My style of playing may be different to yours, but I buy a game, complete it, then mine it for enjoyment, and then rarely if ever go back to it. In that case, a 500gb Xbox One is fine for that usage, as I could remove older games without any qualms.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I dunno, Am I one of the only ones who's genuinely excited by the fact that Microsoft aren't going down without a fight?

we're now going to be getting 4 free games a month across xbox 360 and xbox one for starters, the install base will surely grow as a result of the price cut, which makes the console more attractive to developers.

Edit: did anyone watch the video where yusef medhi announced the kinect free sku? the poor dude genuinely looked close to tears.

game on i say!

There was also talk of freeing up more of the 10% reserve currently dedicated to the system and kinect for developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I
    game on i say!

Game on indeed!

get?url=http%3A%2F%2Fimgur.com%2FFFPmn9D.gif&key=wk0md784tAXFk_YkfbMDiQ&w=600&h=202.176

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

reallly pissed over this...kinect is now basically dead and buried much like it was on the 360.
    No dev is gonna bother with it now that it's optional and they're more inclined to better use the resources towards resolution/fps rather than give it over to kinect.
    On the other hand the xb1 needs all the power it can get and it mightn't be such a bad thing if MS allocate all resources as devs require.
    It still won't be anywhere close to the PS4 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

reallly pissed over this...kinect is now basically dead and buried much like it was on the 360.
    No dev is gonna bother with it now that it's optional and they're more inclined to better use the resources towards resolution/fps rather than give it over to kinect.
    On the other hand the xb1 needs all the power it can get and it mightn't be such a bad thing if MS allocate all resources as devs require.
    It still won't be anywhere close to the PS4 though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

The kinect is always going to just be an accessory to game unless its an actual kinect designed game like Just Dance or something.

For all other games its going to be only an enchancement. Like BF4 saying "need ammo" and your character asks players for ammo or for Skype stuff. It is great of course to be in the middle of playing COD:Ghosts and say xbox go "whatever you want"

It was never going to be a massive breakthrough in new games outside of what it has already delivered.

When the Kinect 2 was announced and demonstrated, I must admit that I was hopeful of it's potential, and thought that it was one of the Xbox One main selling points. I really did believe that it would herald innovate features in games that were developed from the ground up for it.

The last few months have shown that this was hopelessly optimistic.

It is telling that Microsoft itself couldn't produce a game that utilised it in an innovate way in the first six months that it was out. Presumably their in-house developers had early access to it, and should have been able create something, anything that would justify it's mandatory inclusion. Instead all we got was Kinect Sports Rivals, which was more of the same "Motion Gaming".

No third party developer was ever going to build a multi-platform game that was designed from the ground up for Kinect, after all, why build something that was going to be gimped on one console?

All in all, the tremendous potential I saw in Kinect has largely gone missing. Voice control is the only part of it that I'd miss to be honest, which has turned out to be quite natural to use. I'd prefer if they bundled a microphone with the Kinect-less Xbox Ones, or at least allow control over a head set, I really do think that there will be massive strides made with voice control over the next five to ten years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

They could still build voice control into the console,and bring out a cheap camera for
    those who want to make gaming videos, or use skype.
    I Think kinect was bad as the whole xbox menus, seem to be built around it.
    They need to copy the user interface on the 360 console ,as its easier to use ,
    then the current ui.
    And better designed for using xbox live.
    Build the ui so as its never necessary to use voice control, its an option.
    Hopefully the cpu power for kinect will be used for gaming purposes .
    IT would be nice if every game had a menu option for 720 higher frame rate as on pc games.
    Having a large kinect unit that uses alot of power makes no sense to me,
    as most games do not use kinect apart from voice controls.

I still think some games could use voice control in a useful way if its built in to the headset.

riclad wrote: »
    They could still build voice control into the console,and bring out a cheap camera for
    those who want to make gaming videos, or use skype.
    I Think kinect was bad as the whole xbox menus, seem to be built around it.
    They need to copy the user interface on the 360 console ,as its easier to use ,
    then the current ui.
    And better designed for using xbox live.
    Build the ui so as its never necessary to use voice control, its an option.
    Hopefully the cpu power for kinect will be used for gaming purposes .
    IT would be nice if every game had a menu option for 720 higher frame rate as on pc games.
    Having a large kinect unit that uses alot of power makes no sense to me,
    as most games do not use kinect apart from voice controls.

I still think some games could use voice control in a useful way if its built in to the headset

I recall the one of the rainbow 6 games having squad controls over the head set, so no reason why the dev's couldn't build it in over the headset if they wished unless there is something on the xbox side stopping them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yep, Rainbow Six 3. Worked well too, spent many hours thinking I was great shouting "Open, Flash, and clear" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

There's a lot of talk on sites like Eurogamerand Polygon about the freeing up of 10% GPU reservation for Kinect commands to developers.

The only thing with that is that, it is assuming that there will be a 0% reservation for Kinect since the new SKU will not have Kinect and therefore nobody will have Kinect connected. So, surely there may be some freeing up of resources, but it's not going to be a silver bullet to bring resolution performance up to par with PS4 [Sorry mods, I had to mention it, but please don't bring this down to a PS4 / Xbox One comparison thread].

DirectX 12, coming later this year / early 2015 will also provide some performance boost, in addition to the Devs becoming more familiar with the hardware.

It will be interesting to see what Microsoft have on show at E3 (four weeks and counting) because they will really need to pull something out of the bag to stop the rot of middling to disparaging news stories. I definitely see that Eurogamer has a distinct anti-Xbox slant, almost sneering at times.

It was very clever of Microsoft to do this change now so that this announcement didn't drown out their messaging at E3 - and they can hide the change behind a different focus from a new CEO and Head of Xbox rather than the existing leadership having to perform another embarrassing climb down on their stated policies.

That being said - I'm happy out with my Kinect 2.0 (but still haven't any games that use it :))

There's a lot of talk on sites like Eurogamerand Polygon about the freeing up of 10% GPU reservation for Kinect commands to developers.

The only thing with that is that, it is assuming that there will be a 0% reservation for Kinect since the new SKU will not have Kinect and therefore nobody will have Kinect connected. So, surely there may be some freeing up of resources, but it's not going to be a silver bullet to bring resolution performance up to par with PS4 [Sorry mods, I had to mention it, but please don't bring this down to a PS4 / Xbox One comparison thread].

DirectX 12, coming later this year / early 2015 will also provide some performance boost, in addition to the Devs becoming more familiar with the hardware.

It will be interesting to see what Microsoft have on show at E3 (four weeks and counting) because they will really need to pull something out of the bag to stop the rot of middling to disparaging news stories. I definitely see that Eurogamer has a distinct anti-Xbox slant, almost sneering at times.

It was very clever of Microsoft to do this change now so that this announcement didn't drown out their messaging at E3 - and they can hide the change behind a different focus from a new CEO and Head of Xbox rather than the existing leadership having to perform another embarrassing climb down on their stated policies.

That being said - I'm happy out with my Kinect 2.0 (but still haven't any games that use it :))

This. It's like Microsoft took a huge dump down their throats or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

It was very clever of Microsoft to do this change now so that this announcement didn't drown out their messaging at E3

thats good point, many people (including me) see anything about kinect from Microsoft Marketing department as bad news .. so it was indeed clever to get over with this stuff and they can wow us at E3. I'm sure they have many great announcements and it would be a shame to overshadow it with this ..

However I expected them to keep kinect and instead of that announce some amazong killer exclusive game at E3 that would (even with all the negative stuff xbox one comes with) make us want this console.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

198321 wrote: »
    thats good point, many people (including me) see anything about kinect from Microsoft Marketing department as bad news .. so it was indeed clever to get over with this stuff and they can wow us at E3. I'm sure they have many great announcements and it would be a shame to overshadow it with this ..

However I expected them to keep kinect and instead of that announce some amazong killer exclusive game at E3 that would (even with all the negative stuff xbox one comes with) make us want this console.

I'd expect they have a lot of interesting things to announce since they have made many significant announcements already.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yeah, the fact they have announced these changes early makes me very curious about what else they have in store.

maximoose wrote: »
    Yeah, the fact they have announced these changes early makes me very curious about what else they have in store.

The fact that they have also announced Halo 5 before E3 is also interesting. I wonder what they will show at E3, but it does look likely that the earlier leak of Microsofts e3 plans was accurate, so anyone up for Halo 2 anniversary edition?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

so anyone up for Halo 2 anniversary edition?
    Man, if they released that for XBone I would be first in line. I played the sh*t out of that for a loooong time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement